Auld Reekie

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-Celto-Germanic
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-S17721 (U-106)
mtDNA haplogroup
X2j
Campobasso Italy is much overlooked but has a rich heritage of Samnites and Lombards but lesser known is the Bulgars and Avars that were given land for military service to the Lombards in the 6th-8th century ad. They settled land near Boiano and a Lombard/Avar grave was found at Campochiaro. My family is from this very place and I was wondering if there is any genetic studies on present-day or ancient people of Campobasso Molise area?

Boattini et al 2013 had 30 samples from Campobasso but only the Y-DNA was given in detail;

30 samples
3x E-V13
1x E-M123
1x E-M35
7x G2a-P15
4x I1-M253
3x R1b-U106 (incl 1x L48)
2x R1b-U152 (incl. 1x L2)
1x R1b-M269
1x R1b-L21
3x J2a (incl. 2x M92)
1x J1e-P58
3x I2 (M223/P37.2/P215)

I assume the Avar/Bulgar population was admixed before they came into Italy much like the Goths. I've read that modern Hungarians and Bulgarians don't show much central Asian. I'm just wondering what I'm looking at in my autosomal results for Familytreedna, it says I have 5% Eurasian Heartland. Maybe I'm looking too hard at it.

I assume the Avar/Bulgar population was admixed before they came into Italy much like the Goths. I've read that modern Hungarians and Bulgarians don't show much central Asian. I'm just wondering what I'm looking at in my autosomal results for Familytreedna, it says I have 5% Eurasian Heartland. Maybe I'm looking too hard at it.

Your looking just fine at it; For you are from an area in which Mongoloid Alcek Bulgars settled;
The Bulgars (Steppes) were a Turco-Mongoloid people and also as such (Central Asiatic) in South Italy i.e. those areas the Langobarden granted to them; The common types of this [Vicenne] cemetery are Nordic/protoNordic and Central Asiatic p.11/12/13 [397/398/399]
http://collegium.hrvatsko-antropolosko-drustvo.hr/_doc/Coll.Antropol.25(2001)2_387-401.pdf

Soderla you are a proper descendant of an Alcek Bulgar (either way); They once found 2x N3 (Mongoloid) samples (Ferri et al 2008) in an area Romagna which was core Ostrogothic; So they have to test not just Campobasso but the specific areas in which the Alceks actually (did) specifically settled in; The trick is of an Archaeological nature same goes for the Samnites and their specific settlements; Campobasso itself is most prob. of a Langobarden fort thus there are a good number of Germanic lineages in present day times (Boattini et al 2013);

PS: whats your ANE? and do you have any photos of the grave goods you can share; Steppe cavalry bits (early middle ages) are amazing in craftsmanship; would be great to see the artifacts do you have them from a museum?

I'm from New York, my Father is mostly British and German. My mother's family is recently from Lombardy, Campobasso and near Naples. My familytreedna results are European: European Coastal Plain 39%, North Mediterranean Basin 27%, European Northlands 15%, Middle Eastern: Anatolia and Caucasus 14%, Central/South Asian: Eurasian Heartland 5%. I also tested with Ancestry and the Nat Geo Genome Project. Ancestry shows Europe: Italy/Greece 33%, Scandinavia 21%, Ireland 15%, Great Britain 9%, Trace regions: Europe East 7%, Iberian Peninsula 3%, European Jewish 2%, Europe West <1%, Caucasus 5% and Middle east 4%. Nat Geo results are Haplogroup R-Z14 and X2. My reference groups are British and Greek and 44% Mediterranean, 34% Northern European and 21% Southwest Asian. I notice that I'm higher than normal for SW Asian. It could be from the Southern Italian. Trying to decipher all of it.

I visited the Samnite museum in Campobasso where they have a small but interesting collection of grave goods from the Samnites, Lombards and a little of the Steppes Avars. I don't have any pictures on me of their craftsmenship. The people in Campobasso, in my opinion, have three looks that categorize them. Some people have Mediterranean features, while other are very blonde, but interestingly I saw a lot of people with very high cheekbones and dark hair, some look Hungarian. That's how my family looks.

BTW Nobody1 Germany was incredible at the World Cup against Portugal!

This thread has been viewed 6977 times.

Back