Fino-ugrian influences in Russian folk customs&lifestyle and so on

mihaitzateo

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Romanian
Y-DNA haplogroup
proly R1B
I was wondering,since Russia seems to be Slavic people mixed with lots of Fino-ugrian people,about influences of Fino-ugrian people into Russia folk customs,lifestyle and other influences.

I will start with some observations :
-the bear is considered a holy animal at Feno-Ugrian people. Is also known that the bear is considered the symbol of Russia.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/207665/Finno-Ugric-religion/65431/Sacred-animals
"n the “hunters’ religion” preserved among the northern Finno-Ugric peoples, bear ceremonies are central. The Khanty, Mansi, Nenets, Sami, Finns, and Karelians have all been acquainted with myths and rites connected with the bear. The myths recount that the bear is of heavenly origin and is the son of the god of the sky; it descends from heaven and, when it dies, returns there. There is also a story about a marriage between a bear and a woman from which a tribe of the Skolt Sami (in Finland) is said to be descended. The bear-killing ceremony is divided into two acts—the killing itself and the feast afterward. Killing a bear that was protected by a forest guardian spirit involved a complicated ritual, which ended with bringing the bear home. Women believed that they had to keep at a distance so that the bear would not make them pregnant. The feast to celebrate the killing of the bear lasted two days and was full of marriage symbolism. The bear was addressed euphemistically, and a young man or woman was chosen to be its mate. A large meal made of the meat of the bear was consumed. Finally, the skull of the bear was carried in procession to the branch of a pine tree on the top of a mountain. This was the custom in Karelia. A number of miniature dramas were connected with Ob Ugrian bear rites. Masked participants tell the bear that members of a strange tribe have killed it. There seems to be a historical connection among the bear ceremonies of Ob Ugrians, Karelians, Finns, and Sami. Nowhere else in the wide Arctic sphere have the bear songs and dramas taken such a prominent place as in this hunting ritual."
Now about bear in Russia:
The Bear — a significant factor of Russian culture - appears in many Russian literary works, folk tales, epics, proverbs and sayings, not infrequently acting as a protagonist. The Bear was the emblem of the XXII Olympic Games held in Moscow in 1980.
Russian Bear
rus_bear_01.jpg
It is needless to say that in Europe, America, and probably all over the world the bear is strongly associated with Russia and the Russian statehood. Therefore the bear in Russia is more than just a bear. Initially the bear as the symbol of Russian state appeared in Europe as personification of slowness, laziness, barbarity and aggression, which evokes in Europeans the feeling of their own superiority to the non-civilized "neighbour" and also the feeling of fear and, consequently, the desire to chain it. Certainly, Russia repeatedly gave its neighbours some grounds for fear, however, if Russian bear did not exist, one should have made it up. The thing is that the bear is the image helping politicians of the West to convince the citizens of Russia’s aggression and thus expand the influence of NATO on the east. For more than 300 years already the bear has invariably been a character of political feuilletons and caricatures.
In Russian culture the bear traditionally appears as the image of a good-natured and a somewhat dumb animal, undoubtedly possessing certain charisma. In folklore the Bear is usually named affectionately and respectfully as a man: Mishka, Mihailo Potapych, Toptygin, etc. So it is evident that the Bear is more likely a kind neigbour, or a guard, never a tyrant. Emblems of Russian cities say about the same thing.
Bears as City Emblems
gerb_yaroslavl.jpg
Among the land emblems of Russia before Peter the First, there were three emblems with the images of bears. Two emblem bears appeared during the rule of Ivan the Terrible and were present at the stamps of his reign - first of all the well-known Big State Stamp made at the late 1570th (not later than in August 1578), during the Livonian war. However, all the three emblems with bears took their final shape only in 1672, when they were enlisted in the Title Book among other land emblems.
Bears there are not simply represented in their natural state: every one of them has its special attributes, which make researchers look for suitable interpretations. It is interesting that all the three bears are interfaced to concrete territories of the north and northeast of Russia, and those that were once perceived as marginal and somewhat peripheral lands, such as Novgorod, Yaroslavl and even farther Perm.
The Novgorod bear had the state and political meaning of the guard, whereas Yaroslavl and Perm bears reflected essential cultural models. The first one stands for the single combat and the victory over the bear of the prince, also interpreted as the victory of Christianity over paganism, and the second one symbolizes Christianization in its religious and educational aspect. If the Yaroslavl emblem has an element of violence, the "quieter" Perm emblem conveys rather peaceful introduction into the new belief.
In XVIII-XIX centuries some more bears appeared in the Russian territorial and city heraldry. Partly they originated from Yaroslavl (the arms of Maloyaroslavets), and partly boasted more original appearance: a bear in its den in the emblem of Ust-Sysolsk, or a bear climbing a pine to get honey in the emblem of Sosnitsy – those depicted local natural peculiarities of the land.
The Russian bear was and remains a part of everyday life, and even gaining weight in recent years. It is sufficient to have a look at the titles of articles recently published in world press ('Russian bear comes back', 'Awakening of Russian bear', and ‘Russian bear plays muscles') to realize the meaning of this symbol in politics and culture. The bear became an emblem of the political movement 'Edinstvo' (Unity), and following that of the party 'Edinaya Rossia’ (United Russia). Now, when the President of Russia has the 'the bear’s surname’ the symbol has gained refreshed popularity
- See more at: http://russia-ic.com/culture_art/traditions/1074#.U8Qw_0A0bEQ"

A little more,about the resemblances between Fino-Ugrian folk customs and Russian customs,not with a stunning resemblance,about bears:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_mythology
"Although the gradual influence of surrounding cultures raised the significance of the sky-god in a monolatristic manner, the father god "Ukko" (Old Man) was originally just a nature spirit like all the others. Of the animals, the most sacred was the bear, whose real name was never uttered out loud, lest his kind be unfavorable to the hunting. The bear ("karhu" in Finnish) was seen as the embodiment of the forefathers, and for this reason it was called by many euphemisms: mesikämmen ("mead-paw"), otso ("browed one"), kontio ("dweller of the land"), lakkapoika ("cloudberry boy"), metsän kultaomena ("the golden apple of the forest") but not a god."
And a similar folk custom in Russian folk customs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misha
"
In Russian, Misha is a short form for the Russian male name Mikhail (Michael), and Mishka is a diminutive of Misha.
This name, in any of its forms, is a common colloquialism in Russian for a bear, because it is similar to the standard name for bear медведь (medved). Also, most anthropomorphic bears in Russian fairy tales have this name. It is thought to originate as euphemism for medved, which was tabooed because of magical thinking that letting out the "true name" of the dangerous animal may cause it to come and attack. Medved (which means "honey eater") itself is thought to be older Proto-Slavic euphemism for Proto-Indo-European *r̥kþos."

So at both Fino-Ugric and Russian people,was taboo to say the word bear.

Many cultures from central Europe to Northeast Asia use the bear has a symbol. For example the bear is the symbol of the city of Berlin and Bern, and both city names claim an etymological connection with 'bear'. The culture that is, to the my knowledge, the most strongly associated with bears is that of the Ainu (Y-DNA C3 and D2) in northern Japan (mostly Hokkaido). The Ainu used to hunt bear to eat them and dressed in bear skin. They believed it conferred them special power.

Many cultures from central Europe to Northeast Asia use the bear has a symbol. For example the bear is the symbol of the city of Berlin and Bern, and both city names claim an etymological connection with 'bear'. The culture that is, to the my knowledge, the most strongly associated with bears is that of the Ainu (Y-DNA C3 and D2) in northern Japan (mostly Hokkaido). The Ainu used to hunt bear to eat them and dressed in bear skin. They believed it conferred them special power.
Whole European forest area was full of analogies in worship of the animals leaving there, especially those dengerous. Bear is popular i coats of arms of European cities and nobel families.

BTW etymology of Berlin has no connection to bear - it is folk myth. Reinhold Trautmann suggested that Berlin is driven from Slavic name Bratoslav abbreviated to Bral, other suggestion is that name of the city is driven from Slavic brlo which mean swamp.

The old name for Berlin was Berlo or Berlog. Berlog means "Bear's lair" in Slavic, hence the word BER was also an ancient Slavic word for a Medved ("the one who knows honey") or Bear.

Last edited:
Wow, the author has found 1 word in Russian which COULD have the Suomi origin? I can give you 300 words in Swedish and at least 50 in Finnic which are of Slavic or Sanskrit origin. Not to mention Romanian language...People are looking at these things like a taboo...But it was not. World in current Asia, Europe was once (12 000 - 6th c. "AD") much more related than is today, believe it or not..

Suomi people have many things which were common with Russian mythology and language and vice versa, because they were both influenced by ancient Vedic and Shamanic cultures..

"In Russian, Misha is a short form for the Russian male name Mikhail (Michael), and Mishka is a diminutive of Misha.
This name, in any of its forms, is a common colloquialism in Russian for a bear, because it is similar to the standard name for bear медведь (medved). Also, most anthropomorphic bears in Russian fairy tales have this name. It is thought to originate as euphemism for medved, which was tabooed because of magical thinking that letting out the "true name" of the dangerous animal may cause it to come and attack. Medved (which means "honey eater") itself is thought to be older Proto-Slavic euphemism for Proto-Indo-European *r̥kþos."

So at both Fino-Ugric and Russian people,was taboo to say the word bear."

It is clear the author of this article was non Slavic and did not even know the basic meanings of the words behind "Mishka", "misha", etc... Misha means a "Mous" in loving form; a pet. Mishka is a "diminutive" of Misha, which means "a little mouse". The symbol of a bear was believed to belong to a god Korant or Kurent, who was chaising away the Morana's winter... Medved was called that way because "he knows the Honey" (Ved = "scholar, scientist,..." (Veda) and Med = honey). Note that the "etymology" on Wikipedia about Medved is false. It seems like somebody wanted to hide the meaning of the VEDA (knowledge) behind it...Vedet, "to know things"; ve (he/she/it knows)... The correct transliteration as "Honey eater" would be like that: "Medyesch" or "Medyet /medyed")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear

UwoCr.jpg

The "areole" above the head of the 'saint' also predates the Christianity...

The god Volos (Veles) was a shapeshifter; his appearances were in the skin of a wolf, bear, snake, bull and black rooster. His companion was a Goddess of the "Underworld", Morana...
Both of them ruled over the Nav or Underworld (Winter sky (astronomy) and Astral (=Abrahamic(Christian, Jewish, Islamic), Egyptian Heaven). The priest called Volhv (in my homeland was a hierarchy of these priests and priestesses until the late 1970...) was also a shapeshifter...
A Bear was believed to be a Master and guardian of the forests, an animal which was accompanied by god Kurent or Korant...

kurenti2.jpg

Korant was/is chasing away the winter and bringing back the Spring... It was a cult of the Fertility. If Korant was accompanied by a Bear then this means that it was also a symbol of fertility among old Slavs...
Sadly this cult remained until today partially forgotten... Christianity was destroying everything which was not Abrahamic (non Brahmanic).
In my country there existed another god called Hostnik (Hosta = "Gozd"; H/G in several dialects; hence "Gozdnik"- "Forest-er"; a god of Forests ). He did not like humans, but was appearing to them in the form of a Bear or deer,... He was a guardian of the forests; he was taking care over the animals living there...

Romanians and Slavs and probably Albanians all knew/know the vampires called Shtrige... this is one of few mythological identical beings which survived until today in our territories...

Many bordering nations or ethnicities will influence each other, both culturally and genetically. I would be surprised if there was no cultural exchange between Finno-Ugric and Slavic Russian. Also geographically speaking these two cultures know many same animals. As such they were the spirits and gods in pagan religions of this region and in folk stories surviving till today.

Many bordering nations or ethnicities will influence each other, both culturally and genetically. I would be surprised if there was no cultural exchange between Finno-Ugric and Slavic Russian. Also geographically speaking these two cultures know many same animals. As such they were the spirits and gods in pagan religions of this region and in folk stories surviving till today.
Yes,I was thinking same,that it would be quite impossible that Fino-Ugrians did not influenced the formation of Russian ethnicity,cause the genetics,is clear they influenced a lot.
But try to explain that to some Pan-Slavist people :D.
I got almost eliminated on a FB group about Slavic people,because I said Russian are quite mixed,as genetics,with Fino-Ugrians (and my post was deleted),if I would have said that there is Fino-Ugrians influenced the language and the culture of Russians,guess I would have been eliminated from that group.
I mean,would be very unlikely that Eastern Slavs did not took anything from Fino-Ugric people that they assimilated and near which they lived such a long time.

I have already said the Romanians are not an exception in mix-breeding, neither are germans, austrians, french, neither are russians, etc. And secondly, Fino Ugrian Y haplogroup N in Russia is bellow 20%. Genetic studies show that modern Russians do not differ significantly from Poles, Slovenians, or Ukrainians. Some ethnographers, like Zelenin, affirm that Russians are more similar to Belarusians and Ukrainians than southern Russians are to northern Russians. Russians in northern European Russia share moderate genetic similarities with Uralic peoples...Regards to Romania; the second highest percentage among Romanian patrimonial haplogroups is R1a, which did not originate from the Latin/Romance speaking people (the same with Hungarians who carry this patrimonial DNA)...

I have already said the Romanians are not an exception in mix-breeding, neither are germans, austrians, french, neither are russians, etc. And secondly, Fino Ugrian Y haplogroup N in Russia is bellow 20%. Genetic studies show that modern Russians do not differ significantly from Poles, Slovenians, or Ukrainians. Some ethnographers, like Zelenin, affirm that Russians are more similar to Belarusians and Ukrainians than southern Russians are to northern Russians. Russians in northern European Russia share moderate genetic similarities with Uralic peoples...Regards to Romania; the second highest percentage among Romanian patrimonial haplogroups is R1a, which did not originate from the Latin/Romance speaking people (the same with Hungarians who carry this patrimonial DNA)...

In whole Russia N averages 23% from the paternal lines.
In North Russia N is the most common paternal line.
As for R1A,that can be hardly said as being "pure Slavic" since there are lot of branches of R1A and I am sure only some of those are associated with Slavic people.
But Russia has also other paternal lines,which are clearly not associated with Slavs,like I1 which averages 5% ,R1B which averages 6% and so on.
Normally,people from different ethnicities in Europe accept that their ethnicity was born from mixing of more people,from different ethnicities and their language is born from multiple languages.

However,when it comes to Albanians and Slavs,they are genetically pure Albanians,not mixed with anyone else,or genetically pure Slavs,not mixed with anyone else.
Now coming back to Russians,why their folk costumes are so different when compared to those of the people from Belarus?

I laugh when trols and slavophobes try to spread their "ideas" about non-existence of Slavs... Why is R1a1a (especially) a Slavic patrimonial branch is clear from the map (also from the purest logic - about these VAST areas and not tiny dots, claimed by Hungarophiles, Albanophiles or who ever else

800px-R1a1a_distribution.jpg

What is the officially accepted Slavic homeland?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Slavs#mediaviewer/File:Balto-Slavic_lng.png

Slavic_distribution_origin.png

It is the area around the Black sea. Correct? So what is the origin of R1a haplogroup? There exist 2 theories: India and area around the Black sea; The newest studies indicate it emerged from the areas around the Black sea... This clearly satisfies the questions about the Slavic (especially Antes) homeland... R1a1a is clearly 'native' to Slavs, which is even proved and confirmed by Anatole Klyosov (I have recently noticed this scientist).
http://aklyosov.home.comcast.net/~aklyosov/

http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?paperID=17707#.U86BQEA0_XQ

Of course you will now say that Slavs came from China(as being "Mongols"; as Slavophobic favorite claims).
But there were also found mummies with R1a1a patrimonial haplogroup, which is today most common among Russians, Polish, Slovak and Slovene people...

I also find it "funny" when I read nonsense about the "Chinese European western mummies" or even theories about "ancient Nephilims", which are spreading over the internet like a plague... The R1a1a haplogroup was almost wiped out from the western Europe as happened also in China, like the indication "you do not belong here" - and vice versa, to the R1b population in Asia...Chinese government was/is even destroying evidences of these people, to hide the 'shoching' fact about their earliest presence in the Chinese territories!

About your question about the DIVERSE Russian and Belorussian culture. Well when you possess such vast territories, don't you think you wouldn't wear a different clothes and speak a different dialect over some period of time? We Slovenes know at least 20 different types of folk costumes, we speak over 48 different local dialects and subdialects among 7 regional groups;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovene_dialects
we can barelly understand each other when we speak our own languages or do not understand each other at all... (Resian and Prekmurian language have their own status).
Slavic languages and culture is diverse, the claims that our ancestors(from 3 different Slavic tribes) all came from "1 source", somewhere in Asia is also a nonsense. But i am speaking about the Antes (among Veneti and Sclavines, described by Jordanes) here, carriers of the R1a1a haplogroup... which indeed originated in current Ukraine, Russia.

Last edited:
I have not said that Slavs do not exist,is clear that they exist,as a ethno-linguistic group.
The connection on language is much stronger than the connection on common folk customs,music,dressing.
No idea when Slavic language formed,but from what proofs exists now,no more than 2000 years ago.
I will study more,about the Fino-Ugrian influences in Russia.
I noticed that for example the folk costumes from Russia are rather closed to Ugric people costumes,than to Poles people.
Now please have common sense and stop posting non-sense on this thread,that is not linked to thread,like maps of R1A - which are really ridiculous,since in India,Afganistan,Iran there is a lot of R1A.
As for Slovene,sure the costumes are diverse ,they were also influenced by other ethnicities like Germans,Italic people and so on.

Where do you have a proof that Slavs did not exist 2000 years ago? There is no proof that they did not exist.. Sadly they did not left behind almost anything written which could predate the 5st century "AD". But this is not a problem to me anymore, because i KNOW the Vedas (Rg Veda, Sama Veda, Agrahayana, YajurVeda, Mahabharata, Ramayana, etc) and I know poems, sayings, "myths" which survived for example in Slovene mythology. Those tales are in fact identical to the Vedic stories... I can not believe how our "linguists" and "etymologists" missed that treasure... They were only seeing primitive messages in those fables and tales, but i have found at least 10 Vedic stories which indicates that Slavs INDEED shared Vedic background (not only in the linguistic form of Sanskrit) at some period of time... My question is (which i am trying to understand and found out): where and when did they come across with Vedic Rishis. Did that happen in India or India (Bharat) included also areas in current Siberia (the land of Antes; Slavs)... In fact I have found out that Slavic god Svetovid (or Swantevit or whatever) was actually Vedic god Shiva! (Sveta-Vidya; "holy (world) seer" - the Cosmogonial tales which survived in my country so vividly (there survived actually even 4-5 forms of the same story), this is how the ancient Slavs encoded the meanings of the words, like the term for a HuMan (the Germanic term Man also shares similarities with Sanskrit Vedic Manu) as Človek or Čelovek, where they've simply combined 2 words: Vek (Vek or Vijek = transmutation of YUGA into V-YUGA or V-YUKA("era") and Čelo (Chelo) as a Forhead (the message of the Forhead is hidden in the Mangalaloka story of Shiva; which is IDENTICAL to our Cosmogonial myth of Svetovid and his "forhead" (do you remember the "red dot" in the middle of the Forhead, which is part of a "folklore", let's say, among Hindus still today?) Why was the Forhead so important in this ancient Vedic story of the appearance of the "1. human being on planet Earth" (which is described as the "little rounded stone which floats in the Great Sea" - according to the Slovene Cosmogonial myth of god Svetovid)? Simply because of the flat forhead of Homo Sapiens. This Forhead makes us different from other apes. Because we can understand and know (Vemo (Veda) things...like Shiva did.
When god Shiva was meditating in the state called Samadhi, the drop of (his thought) came down his forhead and fell to the Mangala graha (Mars and Earth are in Vedas described as the origin of Humans). In our mythology the tale says "when Svetovid was traveling among the Stars, to observe them as his creation of his Mind (this is where the form of SvetoVid (Video) comes from; "to see things"; "World seer"), he become tired and "slept" (the message in this "dream" is further explained in the Vedic story of Mangalaloka; where Shiva was also "sleeping" (meditating) in the state called Samadhi (also check: Edgar Dean Mitchell's (american astronaut of the Apollo 14) explanation of this state of mind) - and from his forhead fell to the Earth (prst in Slovene is equal to the Sanskrit word "prthvi"; "earth") drop and this drop was a living being called Human. (drop of sweat - kaplja is similar to the Sanskrit word "Kalpa" (era. NOTE: Vedas describe the Start and End of this Universe, called Brahma. Brahma has 100 years; 100 Brahma years is equal to the Age of entire creation, this is 313 trillion human years...
One Day of Brahma=8.64 Billion years.=1Kalpa ("Kaplja", "drop" - era) of his "sweat"...

One Brahma year = 30 days multiplied by 12 = 30 x 8.64Billion years x 12 = 3.1104 Trillion years.
50 (this is where the LATER occult word "ABRAHAM" comes from; "50 human years") Years of God Brahma = 3.1104 x 10 to the power 12 x 50 = 155.52 Trillion Years = Para ("part") ardham
.Total Age of Cosmos or creation=100 Brahma years=2*50 Brahma Years=2*155.52Trillion years=313 trillion human years=Param or Paraa.. So the total time elapsed since current Brahma is
155.52 x 10 to the power 12 + 1.973x10 (according to the Vedic Macro and Micro time) 9 + 0.00012053302 = 155.52 Trillion Years
This called Param,that is total age of God Brahma=Total life of Cosmos.

Now, Brahma (Universe as a total; Brahmaloka; our Galaxy is Svargaloka; where Slavic god Svarog or Svarun (=Vedic Varuna) rules over the Svarga (Milky way) ) is in his Second Para Ardham.More than 50 years old (51 )
After his "49 years", the Shiva (Svetovid) will destroy the Universe and Vishnu (Višji; "the one who is above") will create the New Universe... (this is the concept of the Multi-Universes; our Universe is only 1 "bubble" among others... and those "bubbles" build much higher structures in higher Universe and those Universes build higher structures, etc etc)

This drop of Shiva became the 1. human being. So what is the message in this story? Human is part of the mind of Shiva (Svetovid)...
Do you still believe that Slavs did not exist 2000 years ago when Vedas are much ancient than that? The word "pagan" becomes useless here. That's why I simply did not see at these messages as part of some primitive folklore... The messages are much deeper, much more ancient than any "linguist" or "etymologist" thinks today (especially through the Christian ("western" )Theological prism...

Everything in Vedas is becoming clearer to me with each story i read... when you understand the language of Sanskrit and your own ancestors it opens another Door to you... It is like an Adventure and "revelation" to me. Because i do not worship these things as Hindus do, I simply understand them through different sources and through the Language...

Tilaka, the simbol of a Human being - as an incarnation of the mind of Shiva into a Flesh (DNA)...

tilaka.jpg

shiva01.jpg

http://svarozikrug.weebly.com/uploads/4/2/4/4/4244718/445893393.gif

"All seeing" - Svetovid"
220px-Swiatowit3011.jpg

Bronx-Zoo-Egypt-India-Third-Eye.jpg

ThirdEye.jpg

I hope I've explained to you who and what is a Human... and why Slavs are much "older" than 2000 years...

Last edited:
Lol Vedun are you serious when you are telling that Slavs are coming from India?
You said that Veles is a shape-shifter,now Fino-Ugrian people were having Shamanic beliefs so this could be easily understood if Slavic people developed near Fino-Ugric people.
And borrowed from them some Shamanic beliefs in their religion.
Now if you go further and see that Perun who is the other major deity of old Slavic religion and is also the god of thunder,has as enemy Veles we can already clearly a resemblance to Scandinavian religion,where Odin a major deity of Scandinavian religion,which is also the god of thunder,has as enemy the wolf Fenrir who is foretold to kill Odin,the resemblance is already stunning.
Speculating a little further,we can wonder if Perun and Odin were deities brought by Indo-European people,while Fenrir and Veles were deities borrowed from Feno-Ugrian people to which both Scandinavian Germanic people and Eastern Slavic people were connected to.
And making an even larger speculation,we can think that Indo-European people,Germanic and Slavic,were handling weapons and using fire to craft weapons,being much more advanced,as technology,that Fino-Ugrian people they conquered.
But Feno-Ugrian people were much more stronger as physique and were also using nature in fighting the Indo-European conquerors.

To make things more clear,a short explanation:

_____Indo-European people deity________________________Fino-Ugrian borrowed people deity,enemy of IE brought deity
Slavs__Perun,also god of thunder_________________________Veles,shapeshifter,also taking the form of a wolf
Norse___Odin,also the god of thunder__________________________Fenrir,a wolf
germanics
EDIT:
Another nice resemblance,both Old Norse and Old Slavic and Old Finnic religions have the motif of the world tree.
At Old Slavic and Old Finnic religions this tree is an oak.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tree

Last edited:
I laugh when trols and slavophobes try to spread their "ideas" about non-existence of Slavs... Why is R1a1a (especially) a Slavic patrimonial branch is clear from the map (also from the purest logic - about these VAST areas and not tiny dots, claimed by Hungarophiles, Albanophiles or who ever else

800px-R1a1a_distribution.jpg

What is the officially accepted Slavic homeland?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Slavs#mediaviewer/File:Balto-Slavic_lng.png

Slavic_distribution_origin.png

It is the area around the Black sea. Correct? So what is the origin of R1a haplogroup? There exist 2 theories: India and area around the Black sea; The newest studies indicate it emerged from the areas around the Black sea... This clearly satisfies the questions about the Slavic (especially Antes) homeland... R1a1a is clearly 'native' to Slavs, which is even proved and confirmed by Anatole Klyosov (I have recently noticed this scientist).
http://aklyosov.home.comcast.net/~aklyosov/

http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?paperID=17707#.U86BQEA0_XQ

Of course you will now say that Slavs came from China(as being "Mongols"; as Slavophobic favorite claims).
But there were also found mummies with R1a1a patrimonial haplogroup, which is today most common among Russians, Polish, Slovak and Slovene people...

I also find it "funny" when I read nonsense about the "Chinese European western mummies" or even theories about "ancient Nephilims", which are spreading over the internet like a plague... The R1a1a haplogroup was almost wiped out from the western Europe as happened also in China, like the indication "you do not belong here" - and vice versa, to the R1b population in Asia...Chinese government was/is even destroying evidences of these people, to hide the 'shoching' fact about their earliest presence in the Chinese territories!

About your question about the DIVERSE Russian and Belorussian culture. Well when you possess such vast territories, don't you think you wouldn't wear a different clothes and speak a different dialect over some period of time? We Slovenes know at least 20 different types of folk costumes, we speak over 48 different local dialects and subdialects among 7 regional groups;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovene_dialects
we can barelly understand each other when we speak our own languages or do not understand each other at all... (Resian and Prekmurian language have their own status).
Slavic languages and culture is diverse, the claims that our ancestors(from 3 different Slavic tribes) all came from "1 source", somewhere in Asia is also a nonsense. But i am speaking about the Antes (among Veneti and Sclavines, described by Jordanes) here, carriers of the R1a1a haplogroup... which indeed originated in current Ukraine, Russia.

you do know that R1a formed in South-asia along with R1b and R2.

if its parent P is known to have formed in Malaysia ( south-east asia) , then you top map of the indian R1 is the correct origin.
most likely one group of R1 went in Nw direction to create R1a and the other R1 went west into persia to create R1b

Lol Vedun are you serious when you are telling that Slavs are coming from India?
You said that Veles is a shape-shifter,now Fino-Ugrian people were having Shamanic beliefs so this could be easily understood if Slavic people developed near Fino-Ugric people.
And borrowed from them some Shamanic beliefs in their religion.
Now if you go further and see that Perun who is the other major deity of old Slavic religion and is also the god of thunder,has as enemy Veles we can already clearly a resemblance to Scandinavian religion,where Odin a major deity of Scandinavian religion,which is also the god of thunder,has as enemy the wolf Fenrir who is foretold to kill Odin,the resemblance is already stunning.
Speculating a little further,we can wonder if Perun and Odin were deities brought by Indo-European people,while Fenrir and Veles were deities borrowed from Feno-Ugrian people to which both Scandinavian Germanic people and Eastern Slavic people were connected to.
And making an even larger speculation,we can think that Indo-European people,Germanic and Slavic,were handling weapons and using fire to craft weapons,being much more advanced,as technology,that Fino-Ugrian people they conquered.
But Feno-Ugrian people were much more stronger as physique and were also using nature in fighting the Indo-European conquerors.

To make things more clear,a short explanation:

_____Indo-European people deity________________________Fino-Ugrian borrowed people deity,enemy of IE brought deity
Slavs__Perun,also god of thunder_________________________Veles,shapeshifter,also taking the form of a wolf
Norse___Odin,also the god of thunder__________________________Fenrir,a wolf
germanics
EDIT:
Another nice resemblance,both Old Norse and Old Slavic and Old Finnic religions have the motif of the world tree.
At Old Slavic and Old Finnic religions this tree is an oak.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tree

since slavic is not an ethnic identity in the ancient times , but simply a linguistic identity , then "slavs" migrated from India to Ukraine and settled there for a very long time, while there for centuries upon centuries, they developed this language called slavic............what ethnic people who moved to this ukraine land is what needs to be asked.

This thread has been viewed 16638 times.

Back