Color of hair

roseroser

Reaction score
If I'm blond and My husband too, Can I have got a dark hair child?

Yes, when you cheat on your husband. ;)

Nope. Red haired parents have all red haired kids, and from what I've seen blonde haired parents have all blonde haired kids, while with dark haired parents there isn't much of a preference. I've even seen kids of blonde and red haired couples, and they all have blonde or red hair. Maybe it has something to do with dark hair being ancestral and the way mutations that created other hair colors work when both of the parents have them.

I think its possible if one of you has had a dark-haired parent or grand parent in the past. I think that heritage laws say that up to 8 generations the dark hair could appear even if everyone else is blond in between. Theoretically its a small probability of mutations happening, even if you are both blond. If by some invisible force the aminoacides of your Dna are switched then its possible. So, putting it mildly its highly unlikely but not impossible.

Yes, of course, unless you and your husband have hair that is a true, deep black (say you're both Chinese), in which case it's very improbable. But if the two of you are Europeans or of European descent and you both have a genetic mixture that contains genes for different hair colours, and the genes combine in a certain way in your children, you could have a child with hair that's darker than yours. It would be helpful for you to read up on Mendelian traits and dominant and recessive genes, but when it comes to hair colour specifically, it's usually a question of how your particular genetics affect the amount of eumelanin and pheomelanin pigmentation you have. If more eumelanin is present, the color of the hair is darker; if less eumelanin is present, the hair is lighter. Levels of melanin can vary over time causing a person's hair color to change, and it is possible to have hair follicles of more than one color. There aren't just a few distinct hair colours, there are thousands of shades of blond/red/brown/black, at least among typical European populations, and a person with light coloured hair will often find that it darkens as they age. A large percentage of Europeans with "black" hair actualy have hair that's a dark shade of brown. But different groups of people can have different genetics that affect the likelihood of having different hair colours, although it can in some cases depend on unique mutations. Scientists recently discovered that blond hair among Melanesians (a dark skinned people) is caused mainly by a gene that hadn't previously been known to affect hair colour. No doubt more details about the genetics of hair colour remain to be discovered.

This thread has been viewed 5338 times.

Back