70,000 Year Old Fixed Settlement in Africa.

Aberdeen

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Scottish, English and German
Y-DNA haplogroup
I1
mtDNA haplogroup
H4
I came across this information, which seems to contradict commonly held ideas about when fixed settlements first developed.

"During ongoing excavations in northern Sudan, Polish archaeologists from the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnology in Poznań, have discovered the remains of a settlement estimated to 70,000 years old. This find, according to the researchers, seems to contradict the previously held belief that the construction of permanent structures was associated with the so-called Great Exodus from Africa and occupation of the colder regions of Europe and Asia. The site known as Affad 23, is currently the only one recorded in the Nile Valley which shows that early Homo sapiens built sizeable permanent structures, and had adapted well to the wetland environment. This new evidence points to a much more advanced level of human development and adaptation in Africa during the Middle Palaeolithic.

Discoveries in Affad are unique for the Middle Palaeolithic. Last season, we came across a few traces of light wooden structures. However, during the current research we were able to precisely locate the village and identify additional utility areas: a large flint workshop, and a space for cutting hunted animal carcasses, located at a distance” – explained project director Dr. Marta Osypińska.
The researchers are also working on a list of animal species that these early humans hunted. Despite the relatively simple flint tools produced using the Levallois technique, these humans were able to hunt both large, dangerous mammals such as hippos, elephants and buffalo, as well as small, nimble monkeys and cane rats (large rodents that inhabited the wetlands)."

Here's the link.

www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php/archives/07/2014/70000-year-old-african-settlement-unearthed

the previously held belief that the construction of permanent structures was associated with the so-called Great Exodus from Africa and occupation of the colder regions of Europe and Asia.

can anybody explain this to me ?

can anybody explain this to me ?

I believe it's been assumed that permanent dwellings weren't developed until the exodus out of Africa because they weren't needed by early modern people while they remained in Africa. That idea does ignore the fact that Africa is a huge continent that has a number of terrains with different climactic conditions, so perhaps this discovery shouldn't be such a surprise.

I believe it's been assumed that permanent dwellings weren't developed until the exodus out of Africa because they weren't needed by early modern people while they remained in Africa. That idea does ignore the fact that Africa is a huge continent that has a number of terrains with different climactic conditions, so perhaps this discovery shouldn't be such a surprise.

i would say, wherever there was the possibility to remain in a restricted area where it was possible to hunt or gather enough food for a small family for the year round or even a season of the year , it was usefull to construct some dwellings
i suppose they were simple shelters made of brushwood and maybe some animal skins and wouldn't have left many traces

where there not some caves in South Africa inhabited permanently by that time ?

This thread has been viewed 3815 times.

Back