Ancient Phoenician Shipwreck.

Great find, Hope. Let's hope we get to see the results of this discovery. All to often the initial find is announced in a newspaper or easily accessible journey but the results of the scientific study of the material ends up locked in some obscure journal behind a paywall.
Yes, I agree regarding the paywall nuisance Aberdeen. Likewise, I too am keen to read more about this.
Although they do state in the video they want the public to enjoy this, so fingers crossed the findings will be easily available at some point.

Thanks for this, Hope. It doesn't look like any pictures have been released.

I do remember reading about a replica of a Phoenician ship being built and sailed from the Levant.

Here's a you-tube on it. As of that point it seems that they didn't have the construction of the rudder quite right. I'm sure that this find will help in figuring out the details.

I must say the Phoenicians were very brave to set sail in that thing. It looks like one good storm would capsize it.

Phoenician_ship_Tyre_-_big.gif
Thanks for this, Hope. It doesn't look like any pictures have been released.

I do remember reading about a replica of a Phoenician ship being built and sailed from the Levant.

Here's a you-tube on it. As of that point it seems that they didn't have the construction of the rudder quite right. I'm sure that this find will help in figuring out the details.

I must say the Phoenicians were very brave to set sail in that thing. It looks like one good storm would capsize it.
That`s a good video Angela, thanks. I myself remember watching a T.V. documentary, about two years ago, in which a group were building a replica Egyptian warship...not too unlike this in video.
The historian Sanford Holst wrote a piece regarding the building of a Phoenician ship in Lebanon. [Looks like the picture of it I posted has come up in top left corner..might need a magnifying glass..lol]
Yes, the trade ships were very round looking, built for long haul and large cargo. However, considering the hundreds of years the Phoenicians sailed and traded as far afield as they did, they must have been excellent ships.
I do agree regarding the one in video. I think from the beach via binoculars would probably be my way of monitoring this experiment.:LOL:

EDIT: click picture and it enlarges.

This thread has been viewed 6417 times.

Back