ericrdpilot

Reaction score
Ethnic group
US/Dutch
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b1a2
mtDNA haplogroup
K
The Huns were first reported near the Caspian Sea in the 4th century A. D. It is theorized that they were from Mongolia and or Northern China. Given the fact that they conquered two thirds of Europe wouldn't there be some trace today of their DNA, if the were in fact from East Asia, or were they R1a and R1b?

Last edited:
My guess is main haplo for different Hunnic tribes was R1A, but I would not be surprised to find their elite N1C.

the Huns were not a single tribe, they were a confederation of tribes with different haplogroups : N, Q, C3, maybe even some R1a
they beated the Goths, sublugated them and Goths were fighting alongside the Huns after that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huns#mediaviewer/File:Huns_empire.png
This is the Huns Empire at its peak under Atila. 420-469 CE.

This territory pretty much correlate to modern Slavs. Probably it was mainly Sarmat/Scythian R1A + Syberian N tribes. I suppose R1A was main haplo in tribes confederation (main as in most popular). Also mounted archers from Steppe sound kind of Sarmat/Scythian (R1A). Not sure of elite and Attila himself.

I realize that historians say the Hungarians aren't related to the Huns - they just happen to also be a group of horse riding, arrow shooting nomads who spoke a non-IE language and, just coincidentally, settled in the exact same area that was the heartland of the short lived Hun empire in Europe. Nevertheless, I find it interesting that the most common Y haplotypes among modern Hungarians are, in descending order, R1a, R1b, I2 and I1. So I suspect that the Hungarians who invaded from the east and settled in Hungary were probably mainly R1a types who spoke a Uralic language but had very little Y haplotype N, something I find rather interesting. I still think the Indo-Europeans were most likely predominantly R1a, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that all the R1a types back in the day had to be IE speakers.

Magyar elite I think was N. Scientists found elite grave with N DNA in it.
This was one of the reason for my first post assumption.

I am hungarian so i know some about us. ;)
First about the genetic: the Eupedia data is correct. Altough a lot depends on the area, even its a small country. The R1a is related to steppe culture, but today it is in mostly slavic countries. (As we know from phisics material dosent disaapear, just transformations!)
Also there was the bigest incoming migration during the 18. C. ( after the turkish occupation) Mainly "slovakians", and german speakers.
I know one list, wich shows a genetic kindship line to hungarians:
-from the closest: slovakian, bulgarian, ossetian, ukranian, german, turkmen....

Second, the anthropology:
I know to study about hungarian skeletons from the 9. C. Both of them rely on big numbers.
1. Kindship from the closest: caucasian(kazar), middle-asian(andronovo), middle Volga river area(bolgars), these days Ukraine(sarmatian), Aral sea(turks)
2. By classification
a: ruler class- mainly asian- :25% uralid, 50% turanid, 10% pamirid, 10% anatolian
B: varrior class- mainly european- :mediterranean, nordic and pamirid
C: common people -european- :mediterranean, nordic and cromagnoid

As you can see, the hungarians been a big mix for a while, for example i have slovakian, german, and a pinch of french in my blood. Real european union! :)

Arvistro: you have to be careful with the ancient hungarian genetic examples, sence they numbers are very low! As far as i know ,there are not more than 10! Yes, that low!!

Arvistro: you have to be careful with the ancient hungarian genetic examples, sence they numbers are very low! As far as i know ,there are not more than 10! Yes, that low!!
Yes, if numbers were small and implied Magyar elite was not N1C I would be somewhat surprised, but now N1C matches both language (I know, I know hg does not equate language, but N1C1 is the most popular hg for Finno-Ugric populations) and the findings you mentioned for ruler class.

As you can see, the hungarians been a big mix for a while, for example i have slovakian, german, and a pinch of french in my blood. Real european union! :)
Yeah, they had a Hungarian president in France!

Sorry, but the conquerors of 895 (Árpád's people) did not speak the ancestor of finno-ugric Hungarian language , but they spoke clear turkic language which had no relation with modern Hungarian language.

For some reason i can't put here the link, but tipe the folowing into google: M.Erdy - Hunnic anabasis
It has some about genetic.

This thread has been viewed 8330 times.

Back