Study on Muslim & Christian Balkan people

The Gheg

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Albanian
Y-DNA haplogroup
Probably E-v13
Hi, new to Eupedia here. I've been looking online for a while now and cannot find a study that compares Muslim and Christian populations in terms of Y-DNA. I am from a Muslim village in a very mountainous part of Albania called Malesia and we have always lived with Christians nearby, despite not intermarrying - Until recent times - I was just wondering if there were any genetic studies available which offer seperate results for Muslims and Christoans . I would love to see if there are any differences between the two. Thanks to all readers. :)

Hello the Gheg, i have a feeling the genetic Make up is probably very similar irrelevant to backgrounds, but Im sure there experts will be able to get in a lot of detail :). If not mistaken it was found that the genetic Make up in Lebanese (for example) with various backgrounds were found to be pretty similar (if not mistaken)

The Balkans in general are underrepresented in the databases. Unfortunately for now it is difficult tosay anything with certainty. However it is assumed that a good part if not the majority of Balkan Muslims have no genetic difference with Christians. There are a significant Turkish minority especially in Bulgaria but also in northern Greece, Albania and fewer in other countries. Turkish people living in the Balkans, all of whom are Muslims, came from Anatolia during the Ottoman rule. The rest of Balkan Muslims are local who converted to Islam mostly during the Ottoman rule. In some cases these two groups intermarry. So Turkish Muslims living in the Balkans carry some Anatolian plus local DNA whereas the others carry almost the same DNA as Christians. Further research and tests are necessary for more certain conclusions.

Hi, new to Eupedia here. I've been looking online for a while now and cannot find a study that compares Muslim and Christian populations in terms of Y-DNA. I am from a Muslim village in a very mountainous part of Albania called Malesia and we have always lived with Christians nearby, despite not intermarrying - Until recent times - I was just wondering if there were any genetic studies available which offer seperate results for Muslims and Christoans . I would love to see if there are any differences between the two. Thanks to all readers. :)
Albanians until 1600 ad were all Christians. Now many Albanians under Turkish duress changed the religion from Christianity to Islam from that time on.
Now you Gheg are asking if the genes changed as well when Islam was introduced?
I seriously doubt it. Genes have nothing to do with ideology, they exist regardless what ideology one likes. We Albanians and chine-see in one time belonged together in Communist ideology. That did not mean we had the same genes. So bottom line: Albanian Christians and Albanian Muslim share exactly the same genes.
Its not true that Albanian Muslims share the same genes with Indonesian Muslims.
Religion is like a jacket. When you like it you put it on, when you don't like it you get another type of jacket/

Yes I've thought this as well but reading about the many wars against the Ottomans that have taken place next to where I live (Shkoder) , I would assume that many Ottoman soldiers also settled there after the area was well established as an Ottoman town -Similarly to the Roman Legionnaires - Anyway, I am just curious about the whole thing because I sometimes try to spot if someone is a Muslim/Christian just by their appearance, it is fun to do but now I want to know if religion did contribute to mixing. I'm guessing 10% admixture at a maximum, more would be implausible.

This thread has been viewed 4860 times.

Back