Corded Ware Culture Signals Population Change in Europe

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
The study is not yet available, but this is the abstract from a Lazaridis and Haak et al paper to be read at the ASHG Conference in October:

Capture of 390,000 SNPs in dozens of ancient central Europeans reveals a population turnover in Europe thousands of years after the advent of farming. I. Lazaridis, W. Haak, N. Patterson, N. Rohland, S. Mallick, B. Llamas, S. Nordenfelt, E. Harney, A. Cooper, K. W. Alt, D. Reich.

To understand the population transformations that took place in Europe since the early Neolithic, we used a DNA capture technique to obtain reads covering ~390 thousand single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) from a number of different archaeological cultures of central Europe (Germany and Hungary). The samples spanned the time period from 7,500 BP to 3,500 BP (Early Neolithic to Early Bronze Age periods) and most of them were previously studied using mtDNA (Brandt, Haak et al., Science, 2013). The captured SNPs include about 360,000 SNPs from the Affymetrix Human Origins Array that were discovered in African individuals, as well as about 30,000 SNPs chosen for other reasons (that are thought to have been affected by natural selection, or to have phenotypic effects, or are useful in determining Y-chromosome haplogroups). By analyzing this data together with a dataset of 2,345 present-day humans and other published ancient genomes, we showthat late Neolithic inhabitants belonging to the Corded Ware culture were not a continuation of the earlier occupants of the region.Our results highlight the importance of migration and major population turnover in Europe long after the arrival of farming.

So, as per the paper, the third genetic wave to hit Europe has now been proven to have been manifested in Corded Ware Culture. I'm sure there will be lots of goodies in the paper. I can't wait to read it.

Thanks to Dienekes for giving excerpts on his blog about all the upcoming papers.

The study is not yet available, but this is the abstract from a Lazaridis and Haak et al paper to be read at the Conference in October:

To understand the population transformations that took place in Europe since the early Neolithic, we used a DNA capture technique to obtain reads covering ~390 thousand single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) from a number of different archaeological cultures of central Europe (Germany and Hungary). The samples spanned the time period from 7,500 BP to 3,500 BP (Early Neolithic to Early Bronze Age periods) and most of them were previously studied using mtDNA (Brandt, Haak et al., Science, 2013). The captured SNPs include about 360,000 SNPs from the Affymetrix Human Origins Array that were discovered in African individuals, as well as about 30,000 SNPs chosen for other reasons (that are thought to have been affected by natural selection, or to have phenotypic effects, or are useful in determining Y-chromosome haplogroups). By analyzing this data together with a dataset of 2,345 present-day humans and other published ancient genomes, we showthat late Neolithic inhabitants belonging to the Corded Ware culture were not a continuation of the earlier occupants of the region.Our results highlight the importance of migration and major population turnover in Europe long after the arrival of farming.

So, as per the paper, the third genetic wave to hit Europe has now been proven to have been manifested in Corded Ware Culture. I'm sure there will be lots of goodies in the paper. I can't wait to read it.

Thanks to Dienekes for giving excerpts on his blog about all the upcoming papers.
Yep, could bring lots of excitement, can't wait either.

So, as per the paper, the third genetic wave to hit Europe has now been proven to have been manifested in Corded Ware Culture.
Well, they might have been new to Central Europe (Germany and Poland area), but coming from Ukraine possibly (Yamna/Maykop cultures) makes them Europeans too. I hope they've tested someone from Yamna or other steppe culture to let us know where they were from, finally.

This paper will be online in a month?!!

[QUOTE/]So, as per the paper, the third genetic wave to hit Europe has now been proven to have been manifested in Corded Ware Culture.
I'm a perfectionist so this is just a minor correction. Corded ware was not the first or only introduction of ANE ancestry into "Europe".

Well, they might have been new to Central Europe (Germany and Poland area), but coming from Ukraine possibly (Yamna/Maykop cultures) makes them Europeans too. I hope they've tested someone from Yamna or other steppe culture to let us know where they were from, finally.

I'd like to see Corded ware, Yamna, Andronovo, and Urnfield genomes.

Great find, Angela. I wonder how much detail will be forthcoming for those of us who won't be attending the conference. Hopefully, the paper will be published immediately after the conference, but that doesn't usually seem to be what happens.

Given what we know from the recent farmer study (and others prior) I don't think there are going to be any surprises about who the corded ware men were
They are y DNA R1a
. Lactose tolerance and other physical characteristics will be very interesting though.

Given what we know from the recent farmer study (and others prior) I don't think there are going to be any surprises about who the corded ware men were
They are y DNA R1a

Right, but it will be interesting nonetheless to see if they are R1a-Z280, R1a -Y2395, R1a-CTS4385, R1a-L664, or some extinct line. Also, it will be quite informative to learn the the percentages of ANE, WHG, and EEF, along with lactose tolerance and pigmentation as you mentioned.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there was some I1 mixed in there also.

Finally the drought of summer is over and some exciting papers are on the way!

They are y DNA R1a
. Lactose tolerance and other physical characteristics will be very interesting though.

All very interesting issues, no doubt, but the most interesting question for me is how do they break down autosomally, i.e. in terms of EEF/ANE/WHG, as well as in terms of comparisons with modern populations? Given that Lazaridis is one of the lead authors, let's hope they provide all of that information.

They are y DNA R1a

Not only R1a* at all. If I am not wrong, three yDNA where identified so far. two R1a* and one either J,I or E*.

But it seems that Corded Ware brought R1a* into Europe. It would be interesting to know if Corded Ware wasn't just an extensdion of Proto_IndoIranian

Not only R1a* at all. If I am not wrong, three yDNA where identified so far. two R1a* and one either J,I or E*.

But it seems that Corded Ware brought R1a* into Europe. It would be interesting to know if Corded Ware wasn't just an extensdion of Proto_IndoIranian
I was always thinking about Corded Ware as mixture of Yamna hunter-gatherers and Cucuteni farmers. Yamna rich in R1a and Cucuteni J2 and other farmer haplogroups like G and E.

I was always thinking about Corded Ware as mixture of Yamna hunter-gatherers and Cucuteni farmers. Yamna rich in R1a and Cucuteni J2 and other farmer haplogroups like G and E.

Cucuteni farmers were sedentary.
Corded Ware were mobile herders just like Yamna, alltough some corded ware finally settled indeed.

The samples from Corded Ware sites simply show that initially the R1a brought by the newcomers was mixed with some Neolithic farmer ancestry, and while R1a became quite dominant in parts of Eastern Europe, it didn't wipe out other haplotypes - Eastern Europe is still somewhat of a mixture, although G2 certainly seems to have dwindled a lot.

My guess is that Proto-Indo-Iranian is just an extension of Corded Ware DNA.

My guess is that Proto-Indo-Iranian is just an extension of Corded Ware DNA.
Are you serious? What happened to the Germanic and proto-Germanic folks, lol! Germans speak Germanic and NOT some kind of Iranic. You will find Iranic speakers in Kurdistan, Iranian Plateau and South Central Asia. As far as I know proto-Iranic people were J2a and (West-Asian type of) R1a + some other minor haplogroups like G2 etc.

Folks that Indo-Europized Yamna came from Maykop. And it has been proven many times from different fields that folks than belonged to the South-Central Caucasian Maykop culture came from the Iranian Plateau, not far from the south of the Caspian Sea.

Yamna people had 75%-80% mtdna like the European Neolithic mtdna, and 20-25% Hunter-gatherer mtdna

Yamna

BEN3 : H33c
KAL1 : N1a1a
KAL2 : H*
MAJ3 : U5a1
MAJ4 : U5b2
MAJ5 : X2h (?)
NIK1 : T1a
NIK7 : H (rCRS)
OLE1 : T2
OLE7 : J2b
OVI2 : K
OVI3 : U/K
PEJ1 : U5a1
PES7 : H1a1 or H5a1j
POD1 : W6
POD2 : T2
POP1 : T2a1b
POP3 : U2e
POP4 : U5a1
RIL3 : K1
SUG2 : I1a
SUG6 : H1, H3 or H6
SUG7 : H (rCRS)
SUG8 : H (rCRS)
TET2 : U4a1
VIN2 : T1a
VIN5 : T1a
VIN12 : T1

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...e-(PIE)-had-mixed-light-and-dark-pigmentation

Cucuteni farmers were sedentary.
Corded Ware were mobile herders just like Yamna, alltough some corded ware finally settled indeed.
And farmers are known to move and settle new areas, even far away.

Yamna people had 75%-80% mtdna like the European Neolithic mtdna, and 20-25% Hunter-gatherer mtdna

Yamna

BEN3 : H33c
KAL1 : N1a1a
KAL2 : H*
MAJ3 : U5a1
MAJ4 : U5b2
MAJ5 : X2h (?)
NIK1 : T1a
NIK7 : H (rCRS)
OLE1 : T2
OLE7 : J2b
OVI2 : K
OVI3 : U/K
PEJ1 : U5a1
PES7 : H1a1 or H5a1j
POD1 : W6
POD2 : T2
POP1 : T2a1b
POP3 : U2e
POP4 : U5a1
RIL3 : K1
SUG2 : I1a
SUG6 : H1, H3 or H6
SUG7 : H (rCRS)
SUG8 : H (rCRS)
TET2 : U4a1
VIN2 : T1a
VIN5 : T1a
VIN12 : T1

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...e-(PIE)-had-mixed-light-and-dark-pigmentation

Are you talking about 75% in variety of mtDNA or frequency of all farmer haplogroups to HGs.

Are you serious? What happened to the Germanic and proto-Germanic folks, lol! Germans speak Germanic and NOT some kind of Iranic. You will find Iranic speakers in Kurdistan, Iranian Plateau and South Central Asia. As far as I know proto-Iranic people were J2a and (West-Asian type of) R1a + some other minor haplogroups like G2 etc.

I wasn't entirely serious, no. I was responding to what I thought was a ridiculous comment with another ridiculous comment. It's clear that R1a split between Asian and European on the steppes, right about where the Indo-European homeland is assumed to be, and that one branch moved to Iran and became Indo-Iranians and another branch moved into Europe. It appears that the Corded Ware folk brought R1a to Europe, and they seem to have been closely related genetically to the Indo-European R1a types who later followed the same path, branishing bronze weapons, apparently after undergoing some major cultural change, the process of which still doesn't seem to me to be all that clear. But I know you want to believe that everything happened on Mount Zagros, and if you were a christian you'd no doubt believe that the garden of eden was located there.

As has been discussed elsewhere, German developed rather late in the game, as a result of the fusion of IE and non-IE languages, so references to early proto-Germans are of dubious validity, IMO.

Are you talking about 75% in variety of mtDNA or frequency of all farmer haplogroups to HGs.
75%-80% of Yamna people had mtDNA haplogroups close to Balkanian Neolithic mtDNA haplogroups

It's clear that R1a split between Asian and European on the steppes, right about where the Indo-European homeland is assumed to be, and that one branch moved to Iran and became Indo-Iranians and another branch moved into Europe.
100% impossible! Why? Because the ancestral R1a* to the European types of R1a and the Asian types of R1a has been found around the Zagros Mountains and NOT in the steppes. And what is your 'proof' of the R1a split in the Steppes? Facts don't lie. But you can still believe in fairytales with you wishful thinking...

This thread has been viewed 55341 times.

Back