Banned
Reaction score
Ethnic group
English
Y-DNA haplogroup
I2a1a2a1a L233
mtDNA haplogroup
H1c3
I very recently bought and returned a 67 marker Y DNA test from ftdna so I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread on what I am predicting to be my designation, I suppose I could come up as I2a1d or I2a1e however that seems unlikely given I2a1c's distribution and my own heritage.

L1287 seems to be the defining SNP for I2a1c however almost all of it also has the L233 SNP. The individuals containing L1287 without L233 are (almost) all found in Germany (North German/Prussia) giving us a probable origin point of Mesolithic northern Germany. This coincides with the examples we have of I2a1d/e being found in France and Germany.

The vast majority of I2a1c that has been identified contains the L233 SNP. L233 is found almost exclusively in England with a few examples from Scotland, Ireland, France, Sweden, and Germany.

Given the information above I would venture to believe that it has an Anglo-Saxon origin in the British Isles, however I could also see a Mesolithic origin being plausible. If we could ever get Cheddar Man's Y DNA that would be great... :embarassed:

My own surname supposedly has a Norman origin but I don't place much stock in that as I have contacted several others who share my surname on 23andme and we have all had a different Y DNA type (R1b and J2).

The individuals containing L1287 without L233 are (almost) all found in Germany (North German/Prussia) giving us a probable origin point of Mesolithic northern Germany.

I think at least as many have been found in southern Germany and northern Italy, hence its nickname "Alpine." It has a similar east/west alignment as the L233+ group regardless of its north/south alignment, though.

The vast majority of I2a1c that has been identified contains the L233 SNP. L233 is found almost exclusively in England with a few examples from Scotland, Ireland, France, Sweden, and Germany.

England is oversampled though. I think its presence in the Netherlands may be more significant to its origins than its presence in England.

My guess for you is I2a-L1287>L233 "Western." Should be interesting!

M26, L880, L1286 and L1294 all share CTS595
I2a1a should be CTS595, and I2a1b M423
I2a1c/d/e don't exist

This thread has been viewed 5507 times.

Back