Classify two Sicilian women, where can each pass?

I would say that the first one is a typical Mediterranean type, with a lot of Sicilian farmer and Greek ancestry, and possibly even a bit of North African, while the other one probably has a fair bit of Norman ancestry. In other words, they're both typical Sicilian types, although the first type is found much more often than the second type.

I would say that the first one is a typical Mediterranean type, with a lot of Sicilian farmer and Greek ancestry, and possibly even a bit of North African, while the other one probably has a fair bit of Norman ancestry. In other words, they're both typical Sicilian types, although the first type is found much more often than the second type.
Yeah, I agree.

The first can not only pass as Sicilian and Italian, but also as Spanish (from Spain or Latin American/Mexican diaspora). She could also pass as North African Arab.
The second has a Slavic look. She can pass as Serbian, Bosnian, Croation, Ukrainian, Romanian, and Russian.

Does the OP know the specific location in Sicily for these girls? Or if not that, surnames would do, or perhaps the site where the pictures were found?

I ask, because this picture, in particular, looks like it's in a Hollywood or at least American setting. The blonde girl next to her certainly doesn't look typically Italian:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd...._=1425577450_86e51fe8d9bcb9a484284573a92cc398

Generally, the girl looks a bit like Maria Menounos at certain angles, although Maria's nose is shorter, whether by nature or plastic surgery:
http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/...e+9th+Annual+Young+Hollywood+nyynguG3qOMm.jpg

Of course, it's hard to tell with actresses. Here's Jen Farley, who we know is Hispanic and Irish.
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj9u4sNQjK1qha3kno1_400.jpg

The first one is from Catania and the photos were taken at some type of event -- a club possibly -- , the second is from Palermo.

Clementino is it you, my swarthy bro?

The first one is a Dutch woman. She could be mixed or what.

https://www.facebook.com/romina.spalletta

The second one is simply uber atypical

https://www.facebook.com/germana.milone?fref=photo

With her friend and family members

285217_4425559836703_899990432_n.jpg

603344_4150046189034_533578386_n.jpg

524029_3145200628523_335969801_n.jpg

Last edited:
She lives in the Netherlands, but she is a Sicilian living there.. her surname is from Catania as are nearly all of the Italians on her friend's list. Look at the ones with her same surname and you will see that they are from Catania.

Posting their Facebook URLs inappropriately and revealing that information about them is very inappropriate.

As a general principle, I think it is highly dubious to take pictures of people at discos and then post them as exemplars of the population where the disco is located. (Oh, dear, I really dated myself there! :) Just substitute the word "club". In addition, given the bizarre, to me, make up and hair styles, and strange lighting, such photos can hardly be held to be very informative.

Also, I also find it highly questionable to post pictures of people when they are very tan to make certain points, or to post pictures taken from certain angles to do the same.

Anyone who bothers to go to the facebook link of the first girl who then clicks on photos would discover that the pictures chosen were not representative of her at all, certainly not of her normal pigmentation.

It seems that this person was not known personally or by repute to the OP. Since the picture was actually not even taken in a club in Sicily but was taken in Holland, there was obviously some trawling of Facebook going on to find pictures of people from Sicily. The motivations are unclear to me.

When I made a thread about easternLiguria/NWToscana, I did it because these are my people, and I wanted to get input about them from members skilled at "classification" or "typology" to see if those classifications could be helpful in figuring out ancient population movements. I suppose that partly, I also wanted to "memorialize" them before they pass from history. When I have asked for classifications of actresses, it has sometimes been just for curiosity, or to learn how to do it, but some of the time it has been because I bear some resemblance to them, and it was a way of getting information without posting my own picture. I wasn't trying to make some "anthrofora" point.

In my opinion, the OP and the latest response both reveal some very questionable motivations, motivations that perhaps pertain to discussions or points of view articulated on anthrofora. I, for one, would not be pleased to see those kinds of "wars" perpetuated here.

If someone wants to know what Sicilians (who seem to fascinate Americans,) look like, I would suggest they pay a visit. (and that goes for supposedly "part Sicilian" internet posters who I sincerely doubt have any Sicilian ancestry at all) Sicily could do with the tourism. Barring that, there are many Sicilian actors, actresses, beauty pageant winners, television personalities, politicians, educators, writers, you name it, to satisfy your curiosity. Or, go to the web sites of liceos, or local sports teams, perhaps, where there won't be many foreigners, although it's always important to use surnames.

Ed.Posting someone's facebook site url may be inappropriate. However, anyone who can do a reverse image search can find it. Also, without the kind of information that comes from surnames there is no reason to trust that the pictures being posted are from the stated nationality or region at all. Furthermore, it's clear from the pictures on the facebook site that there was some cherry picking going on...

So, as far as I'm concerned, there is more than enough inappropriate behavior to go around.

I will not be responding to any more posts like this from the OP.

If you don't believe I am part Sicilian I can post my 23andme, Eurogenes, Dodecad, etc. results. And this wasn't any sort of argument until someone else came in and to be malicious, posted Facebook links to prove a point that was frankly invalid. She is NOT Dutch, she just lives in the Netherlands, her entire family is in Sicily.

Anyway I chose the photos that I thought the girl looked prettiest in. I actually chose the photos where I thought she looked least exotic, since people on these sites have an issue seeing people looking too exotic. But if you go to her Facebook and see any of the people with her same surname that she has added as a friend, they are all from Catania.

Most people I post are generally from Facebook, usually at random. If this is a problem or against the rules I will not do it anymore, but there is no questionable motivation. In this case I did want to post two women who looked radically different from one another but were still part of the same ethnicity, so I guess you can call that 'proving a point' about variation within a group.

If you saw my photos you'd see I do look southern Italian, though. So from my perspective I am posting people who resemble me.

You should not steal photos from Social Networks. I don't care if it is a public profile, you can't steal other people's photos. It's almost like stalking.

So I find it hipocrital that you are accusing me of violating other people's privacy.

The girl is Dutch, maybe of partial Italian origin, but there is no sure way to know it.

I could as well assume that Kaya Scodelario is fully Italian because of her surname.

kaya-scodelario-64197_77077-17-122-_122_512lo1.jpg

You should not steal photos from Social Networks. I don't care if it is a public profile, you can't steal other people's photos. It's almost like stalking.

So I find it hipocrital that you are accusing me of violating other people's privacy.

The girl is Dutch, maybe of partial Italian origin, but there is no sure way to know it.

Okay fine, I won't post photos from Facebook on this site anymore.

But she is not Dutch. Go back through her page and look at the other people on her friends list with her surname, probably her parents, aunts, siblings, etc. and see where they are from. And see what language is being spoken in the comments on her photos by her relatives (with the same surname). It surely is not Dutch.

Let's just end this thread and drop it, if I knew this would cause an argument I'd have just not posted the damn photos.

The last picture looks like Latvian girl I liked when at school. Very authentic, that is how many girls look here. Kaya? Estonian roots? Kaija - seagull in Latvian, borrowing from Finnic. edit: checked her family roots, hm, nothing Baltic.. Brazilian + Brit. But I can't help myself I have seen these eyes as a schoolboy :) Hope my wife does not read this :D On a serious note - I can name about 4 unrelated Latvian girls/women with same facial features - eyes, forehead and nose.

Of the original pictures the first one loks like my cousin (Both parents Latvians but she has very mediteran look inherited from father's side). edit: noticed her first picture, girl on picture looks way darker, but facial features are about same.
The second one could easily be found on Latvian streets as well, but in Riga. Her brother as well. edit: I said in Riga, I think this is because of Slavic population which is mostly met in Riga.

Sorry, just some unscientific personal feelings :)

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 4773 times.

Back