Aberdeen

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Scottish, English and German
Y-DNA haplogroup
I1
mtDNA haplogroup
H4
German chancellor Angela Merkel has said that she will no longer support British membership in the EU if Britain continues to oppose the free movement of labour by having its own immigration restrictions. The British Conservative Party, with a wary eye on the growing popularity of the UK Independence Party, is taking the position that Merkel is merely talking about some hypothetical situation that might arise in the future and British Conservatives are suggesting that it won't prevent David Cameron from announcing new immigration restrictions soon. However, a German official was quoted as saying that Britain will soon reach the point of no return in terms of its continued membership in the EU. Do you think this situation will result in Britain being forced out of the EU or choosing to leave?

Situations are serious, for EU and alliances,
industry and oil,

the most unexpected is Egypt with Israel in an alliance, to drill oil and gas,
so something like that is not impossible,
yet that will break many alliances, even EU,
Europe without the island is another Europe
if England leaves EU surely Norway might join,
EU is not the strong EU that some pionneers dream 30-40 years before,
Although it is something,
simply Europeans must take back Europe from 'corporations'
and Eu must make clear policy of illegal immigration, taxation, fiscal union, even alliances and international policy

I don`t think this latest will see Britain forced out or indeed choose to leave E.U. Consider the thorn in the governments side of late that goes by the name of UKIP. I think we are seeing some Tories getting a bit nervous regarding the recent surge toward this particular party and have perhaps pushed Cameron to make some sort of stand regarding immigration.
Regarding what was said, I think it was something like Britains present course makes it "possible" they could end up leaving. No-one has yet suggested this is what should happen and British government hasn`t said it even wishes this to happen. Perhaps a change of some degree to access to welfare benefits might result at the end of the day and this may satisfy the Conservatives , it is a much more realistic ambition, if it were possible.

Of course Cameron says he hears the peoples concern over too much immigration, I say he has selective hearing. He has not so easily heard the discontent regarding the continued cuts in public spending, the concern that more children are homeless, more people are turning to food banks for help, policing is struggling to meet budget demand along with the health services, more people are relying on government top ups even though they are working and the discontent that whilst being told the continuous cutbacks are necessary, the government are to have 9% of a pay rise. Neither has he heard the concern regarding his "inner circle" of old school chums he surrounds himself with.

I don`t think this latest will see Britain forced out or indeed choose to leave E.U. Consider the thorn in the governments side of late that goes by the name of UKIP. I think we are seeing some Tories getting a bit nervous regarding the recent surge toward this particular party and have perhaps pushed Cameron to make some sort of stand regarding immigration.
Regarding what was said, I think it was something like Britains present course makes it "possible" they could end up leaving. No-one has yet suggested this is what should happen and British government hasn`t said it even wishes this to happen. Perhaps a change of some degree to access to welfare benefits might result at the end of the day and this may satisfy the Conservatives , it is a much more realistic ambition, if it were possible.

Of course Cameron says he hears the peoples concern over too much immigration, I say he has selective hearing. He has not so easily heard the discontent regarding the continued cuts in public spending, the concern that more children are homeless, more people are turning to food banks for help, policing is struggling to meet budget demand along with the health services, more people are relying on government top ups even though they are working and the discontent that whilst being told the continuous cutbacks are necessary, the government are to have 9% of a pay rise. Neither has he heard the concern regarding his "inner circle" of old school chums he surrounds himself with.

I gather that more and more British people are finally seeing the obvious fact that Cameron is just Margaret Thatcher in drag, but I don't know why that encourages them to vote for a "libertarian" group like UKIP. I understand why some people have become quite anti-immigration but focussing on that while the Cons pursue a savage right wing agenda won't help ordinary people if the leaders of UKIP are even more regressive about social policies.

The irony is that at least on paper the UK's economy is doing much better then most in the Union, so at first glance these immigrants seems to be contributing to the countries coffers. Maybe its a situation were the rich are getting richer due to lower wages the migrants are willing to receive to perform duties that locals refuse to do for the same pay? I know this is happening locally all the time. Migrants outnumber locals in the hospitality industry and moving that way in the health sector too.

I guess it will.

I gather that more and more British people are finally seeing the obvious fact that Cameron is just Margaret Thatcher in drag, but I don't know why that encourages them to vote for a "libertarian" group like UKIP. I understand why some people have become quite anti-immigration but focussing on that while the Cons pursue a savage right wing agenda won't help ordinary people if the leaders of UKIP are even more regressive about social policies.
It`s true UKIP has come forward somewhat as a fourth party, and has made some gains. Whether this will transfer to votes in the next election is yet another question. At this point I`m still inclined to think much of the support expressed for them in the Polls, is by way of many trying to drive home to Cameron and crew how absolutely fed up they are with much of his austerity policies and rather badly thought on welfare changes. Of course some may have issues regarding immigration but I don`t feel this is it in total.
UKIP has sailed into harbour in many ways IMO courtesy of this governments actions. Also, and again IMO, UKIP has played on some insecurities some people may have and promised changes regarding other issues which have likewise appealed to others ... I hope however come the next election, voters will look at things in a less nervous way and make good decisions based on fact not fears.

The irony is that at least on paper the UK's economy is doing much better then most in the Union, so at first glance these immigrants seems to be contributing to the countries coffers. Maybe its a situation were the rich are getting richer due to lower wages the migrants are willing to receive to perform duties that locals refuse to do for the same pay? I know this is happening locally all the time. Migrants outnumber locals in the hospitality industry and moving that way in the health sector too.
The rich are certainly getting richer, Maleth. Ordinary workers seem to be suffering yet the richest of the population seem to have increased their share of the wealth. The gap between rich and poor seems to be growing wider. Of course there will always be a degree of division but these past years of cuts have hit some much worse than others, thus highlighting the situation.
The austerity policy the government implemented may certainly have began with the view of a "lean and efficient" Britain but it has been prolonged and too fast paced, leaving so many of those least able to absorb the changes, in a very bad way. It now feels more like"lean and mean".

This thread has been viewed 6021 times.

Back