Cajuns (OFFTOPIC from Which is more European ? Finno-ugric...)

oriental

Curious
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Chinese
Y-DNA haplogroup
Not known - O3?
mtDNA haplogroup
Not known - M?
The word Cajun means Canadian Indian Ca(Injun) (Ca-jun) Injun is Native Indian. The Cajun were Kicked out by the British from Nova Scotia or somewhere in the east coast and they went to Louisana which was French controlled. The Cajun had Black blood. Frenchie Fuqua was a famous black NFL football player who was proudly Cajun.

The Acadians

http://www.acadian-cajun.com/hisacad1.htm

The Cajun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajun

Frenchie Fuqua? Fuqua is typically a Huguenot name, not a Cajun one, Anglicized slightly from the original French "Fuquett." I actually descend distantly from the Huguenot immigrant most white Fuquas descend from, whose name is often recorded in late genealogies as "Guillame Fouquet" or some such, but whose actual name seems to have been Gill Fuquett. Frenchie, as a black man, is presumably descended from slaves of this family. Maybe other parts of his family or simply his culture was Cajun?

Mod note: Moving these posts to a new thread.

Cajun is short for Acadian; the original name of Nova Scotia and Nova Scotians. White French colonists. Nothing to do with American indians or blacks, sorry.

I have Acadian (Cajun) French ancestry. How very interesting that someone here would make a thread about us. Although, this post; it is totally inaccurate. We are mostly descended from French colonists.

I would say that many of us (Cajuns) are probably our own ethnic group by now; and it seems we are partially homogeneous most the time.

We probably have slightly different genetics now, to modern French people; due to 300-400 years of genetic isolation and insular separation.

I have always wanted geneticists to study us Cajuns like they do any kind of homogeneous population in Europe; such as the Basques, Poles, Finns, or Albanians, and see what they could uncover.

Frenchie, as a black man, is presumably descended from slaves of this family. Maybe other parts of his family or simply his culture was Cajun?

I used to follow the NFL and Frenchie used to appear with a fancy feathered cap or hat. I thought he was amusing. Anyway Fuqua being Huguenot is French, no? Only they were Protestants and killed by the French Catholics in France and many fled to England. My knowledge of Frenchie is not deep but just cursory. I heard from an Englishman who said 'cockney' accent came from he Huguenots learning English.

Cajun is short for Acadian; the original name of Nova Scotia and Nova Scotians. White French colonists. Nothing to do with American indians or blacks, sorry.

My apologies if I am wrong. I just commented without thoroughly checking.

I used to follow the NFL and Frenchie used to appear with a fancy feathered cap or hat. I thought he was amusing. Anyway Fuqua being Huguenot is French, no? Only they were Protestants and killed by the French Catholics in France and many fled to England. My knowledge of Frenchie is not deep but just cursory. I heard from an Englishman who said 'cockney' accent came from he Huguenots learning English.

You have Huguenots identified correctly.

Cockney probably has its roots in Southeastern English dialects more than anything, but with plenty of slang from all sorts of East End London groups added in, including, no doubt, some influence from the Huguenots who settled there.

You have Huguenots identified correctly.

Cockney probably has its roots in Southeastern English dialects more than anything, but with plenty of slang from all sorts of East End London groups added in, including, no doubt, some influence from the Huguenots who settled there.
Speaking of Huguenots, I have heard of Americans actually having closet French Huguenot ancestry. I am mostly of the Acadian (Cajun) French variety. But I also have almost 100% English ancestry on my dad's paternal side; hailing from Georgia and originally from South Carolina. My Cajun French ancestry also means that my family has Catholic background. My dad is half Cajun French and half American English. On my dad's paternal side; they were Protestants.

I have noticed while looking up my ancestral records; that there seem to be some suspicious surnames in my lineage, that I have noticed; that seem to mean nothing in English, Old Norse or Old English. And they often appear to be Anglicized French in origin. (ex. Burnett, Ballard, Britton, Gaston) I would not be surprised if some of these names were French Huguenot.

The legendary American folk legend Davy Crockett (Croquet?) had French Huguenot ancestry. His paternal ancestors bearing the Croquet surname originated from French Belgium. (Wallonia) when it was still part of France; and had escaped to England and Ireland in the 15th century. By the 16th century they had fled to the United States with English American (Protestant) colonists.

Crockett's ancestors always claimed to be Irish or Scottish but were actually French refugees who blended in with Scots-Irish and English colonists; to avoid persecution by the French Catholics under Louis. I always thought it was rather interesting to discover if people in the USA had secret Huguenot ancestry. Even though they may have initially believed it to be Irish, Scottish, English or Dutch. prior etc

@ Melancon: I think you may have some reading to do in regards to the genetic make-up of self-reported "European-Americans" in Louisiana. including some Cajuns, no doubt:

See: Bryc and Durand et al: The genetic ancestry of African, Latino, and European Americans across the United States.
http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2014/09/26/009340

Just download the PDF. Lots of information there, but you might be particularly interested in the graphic which shows the states which have the highest percentage of "European-Americans" who have more than 2% African ancestry, presumably unknown African ancestry to many of them. Louisiana and South Carolina are among the leaders in that regard. Louisiana also leads among eastern and central states in the number of "European-Americans" who have more than 2% Amerindian ancestry.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dViY-OVquN4/VBs9Txr7KjI/AAAAAAAAJzA/8S6V3ym95ng/s1600/ea.jpg

It shouldn't be a total surprise, of course. That there was admixture between the French colonists of Louisiana, of all stripes, and both Amerindians and African slaves has long been known, as is the phenomenon in American society known as "passing".

From the text:
"Using a less stringent threshold of 1%, our estimates suggest that as many as 8% of individuals from Louisiana, and upwards of 3% of individuals from some states in the West and Southwest, carry Native American ancestry. (Figure S8)"

" In particular, individuals with African ancestry are found at much higher frequencies in states in the South than in other parts of the US: about 5% of self-reported European Americans living in South Carolina and Louisiana have at least 2% African ancestry. Lowering the threshold to at least 1% African ancestry (potentially arising from one African genealogical ancestor within the last 11 generations), European Americans with African ancestry comprise as much as 12% of European Americans from Louisiana and South Carolina and about 1 in 10 individuals in other parts of the South (Figure S9)."

"In particular,individuals with African ancestry are found at much higher frequencies in states in the South than in other parts of the US: about 5% of self-reported European Americans living in South Carolina and Louisiana have at least 2% African ancestry. Lowering the threshold to at least 1% African ancestry (potentially arising from one African genealogical ancestor within the last 11 generations), European Americans with African ancestry comprise as much as 12% of European Americans from Louisiana and South Carolina and about 1 in 10 individuals in other parts of the South (Figure S9). "

You can find further data in the Data Supplement found here:
http://biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/suppl/2014/09/18/009340.DC1/009340-1.pdf

Obviously, there ARE many Cajuns who do have American indian or Black ancestry. Only we do not call them Cajuns here. We call them Creoles (Cajuns with Black ancestry) or Métis. (Acadians with Native American)

It is not possible that I have anything other than white, because I am somewhat inbred (homogeneous) and some of my ancestors share surnames; both on my mother and father's side. (Acadian names such as Pitre, Fuselier, Vidrine, Manuel, Mélançon, Fontenot etc.) I also have English ancestry on my dad's paternal side.

(I also have at least one Galician Spanish ancestor that I know of, but he was 7th or 8th generation. And knowing the history of Spain, it is more possible for me to have Arabic ancestry at some point, rather than Black or American indian. If I do, it's probably about 55+ generations back. But the chances of this are extremely low. Especially considering I have only one ancestor who was Northern Spanish.)

My family came from above the Lafayette area (Opelousas, Louisiana) which is the main area of most Acadian French whites; and their initial settlement after deportation from Nova Scotia by the British. If you travel forward East to New Orleans, you will find many Acadian "Cajuns" of mixed ethnicity. That is why the Black and Native American indian ancestry is so high in Louisiana. A lot of the Acadian French whites that moved to New Orleans mixed with Black slaves and American indians. For us in Acadiana, it is actually a lot more rare.

Nothing to do with me though, lol. I'm 100% white I guarantee you.

Melancon: Nothing to do with me though, lol. I'm 100% white I guarantee you.

I couldn't care less. You really shouldn't assume that these kinds of categorizations matter to other people the way that they do to you.

However, perhaps you should invest in a spit test from 23andme, if you haven't already done so, and provide us with a screen shot. I've been following the postings in the Community Forum there for years, and there's an awful lot of very surprised southerners, including Louisiana Cajuns, who have posted on there about their previously unknown African and Amerindian ancestry. Just saying. There's also no indication in the study that the only people from Louisiana who had Amerindian and African ancestry were "Creoles".

Plus, the whole thrust of your postings about the Finns has not been whether an individual Finn like Kristina has East Asian ancestry, and how much, but that Finns have East Asian, non-European ancestry. Therefore, the topic is not whether you individually have escaped having any of the ancestry which you find so objectionable, but whether Cajuns have such ancestry.

Indeed, some "exotic" ancestry does show up in Cajuns. After whole clusters of "Ashkenazi" type hereditary breast cancer showed up in the Cajun community, they tracked ancestry and found it all led back to an Ashkenazi family who had changed their names, claimed to be German, and had married into the Cajun community. Given the high levels of endogamy, it spread like wildfire. Just google it...you'll find all the papers. Just for health reasons, I'd check to see whether those surnames appear in your family tree, given how the Cajuns are apparently so inbred. The high prevalence of genetic diseases is a consequence of such high levels of inbreeding, as I'm sure you know.

As to Cajuns in general:
"Not all Cajuns descend solely from Acadian exiles who settled in south Louisiana in the 18th century, as many have intermarried with other groups. Their members now include people with ancestry of British, Spanish, German, Italian, Native American, Métis and French Creole settlers. Historian Carl A. Brasseaux asserted that it was this process of intermarriage that created the Cajuns in the first place.[2]

Non-Acadian French Creoles in rural areas were absorbed into Cajun communities. Some Cajun parishes, such as Evangeline and Avoyelles, possess relatively few inhabitants of Acadian origin. Their populations descend in many cases from settlers who migrated to the region from Quebec, Mobile, or directly from France. Theirs is regarded as the purest dialect of French spoken within Acadiana. Regardless, it is generally acknowledged that Acadian influences have prevailed in most sections of south Louisiana.

Many Cajuns also have ancestors who were not French. Many of the original settlers in French Acadia were English, Irish, German, Greek, Spanish Canary Islanders, and Italian colonists who began to settle in Louisiana before and after the Louisiana Purchase, particularly on the German Coast along the Mississippi River north of New Orleans. People of Latin American origin, a number of early Filipino settlers (notably in Saint Malo, Louisiana), known as "Manilamen," from the annual cross-Pacific Galleon or Manila Galleon trade with neighboring Acapulco, Mexico, descendants of African American slaves, and some Cuban Americans have also settled along the Gulf Coast and, in some cases, intermarried into Cajun families. Anglo-American settlers in the region often were assimilated into Cajun communities, especially those who arrived before the English language became predominant in southern Louisiana."

As you can see, French Creoles are an entity distinct from the Cajuns, but part of the Cajun jambalaya, one might say. :)

It might be interesting for you to check it all out. You never know what could be hiding in that wood pile.

No offense; but you're totally ignorant and uninformed on the matter.

I think it is better for you to dismiss yourself from me and my affairs.

Maciamo has also told me that 23andme is not particularly accurate for genetics either. And that it is better to research your whole genome through a program like Dodecad or Eurogenes.

I am suggesting that many white people who have had their genome covered with 23andme or FTDNA and discovered Black or American indian genetics are not always particularly accurate. And the science of genealogy is not always accurate either, any way; more or less. And it is always updating itself.

Why not take your own advice; and upload your own genome with a screenshot? Let's see how Italian you truly are.

Some Cajun parishes, such as Evangeline and Avoyelles, possess relatively few inhabitants of Acadian origin.

This is not true. These two parishes actually make up a large portion of French people. I have family from there. It is a 45 minute drive into these two Parishes. (Counties). Some notable French families: Lafleur, Brignac, Chataignier, Porche, Meche, Prudhomme, Manuel, Babin, Carmouche, Andrepont. I can go on and on.

Their members now include people with ancestry of British, Spanish, German, Italian, Native American, Métis and French Creole settlers. Historian Carl A. Brasseaux asserted that it was this process of intermarriage that created the Cajuns in the first place.[2]
Yeah. SOME not ALL. What is the percentage of Cajun French people having these ancestries? I would argue less than 5% of the whole 100%. That would suggest it is extremely rare. I am at least 70% French and I know this and can prove it by my genealogical records. But it is a very long list and is quite exhaustive.

Melancon, you are not arguing with me; you are arguing with science. The study which found African and Amerindian ancestry in so many Louisianians was based on whole genome comparisons of thousands of people...allele comparisons. Do you understand? You are also arguing with Louisiana historians and Acadian and Cajun genetic genealogists. Are you at all aware of that fact? Have you read the relevant historians? Have you subscribed to the Acadian list at rootsweb?

In that regard, you might be interested in this article tracking Acadian ancestry. The admixture with "sauvage" women occurred in some families within a few generations of being on North American soil, and continued in Louisiana, where some African ancestry was also added in some families. There are well documented such cases. All of this might have contributed to the disrepute in which Cajuns used to be held in Louisiana. America has an unfortunate history in this regard with many groups. Of course, we're talking about traces remaining in current descendents. However, given how endogamous Cajuns are, you would think that what is present in a couple of families winds up being present in all of them, as was borne out with the tracking of the breast cancer gene.
http://dna-explained.com/category/acadians/

Must I also repeat once again that this is not about you individually at all? It is about Louisiana people and Cajuns, in particular, just as the thrust of your argument on the other thread was about Finns in general, and not individual Finns, some of whom, I'm sure, show no or only trace amounts of East Asian. What is so difficult to understand here?

You're perfectly free to ignore or deny science and history, of course. There are plenty of people who still insist that the earth was created 6,000 years ago in the face of all scientific evidence to the contrary. I'm sure there's also some hold-outs who believe that the sun revolves around the earth because they "see" it "move" across the sky. I feel it's my duty to point out, however, that such people are not accorded very much "respect", shall we say, among educated people.

I also regret to inform you that I'm going to report your prior post. You can't say I didn't warn you. Adults have to be able to discuss these issues without resorting to personal attacks. Not that you care, I'm sure, but you're also now on my Ignore list, so don't expect any further responses.

Melancon, you are not arguing with me; you are arguing with science. The study which found African and Amerindian ancestry in so many Louisianians was based on whole genome comparisons of thousands of people...allele comparisons. Do you understand? You are also arguing with Louisiana historians and Acadian and Cajun genetic genealogists. Are you at all aware of that fact? Have you read the relevant historians? Have you subscribed to the Acadian list at rootsweb?

In that regard, you might be interested in this article tracking Acadian ancestry. The admixture with "sauvage" women occurred in some families within a few generations of being on North American soil, and continued in Louisiana, where some African ancestry was also added in some families. There are well documented such cases. All of this might have contributed to the disrepute in which Cajuns used to be held in Louisiana. America has an unfortunate history in this regard with many groups. Of course, we're talking about traces remaining in current descendents. However, given how endogamous Cajuns are, you would think that what is present in a couple of families winds up being present in all of them, as was borne out with the tracking of the breast cancer gene.
http://dna-explained.com/category/acadians/

Must I also repeat once again that this is not about you individually at all? It is about Louisiana people and Cajuns, in particular, just as the thrust of your argument on the other thread was about Finns in general, and not individual Finns, some of whom, I'm sure, show no or only trace amounts of East Asian. What is so difficult to understand here?

You're perfectly free to ignore or deny science and history, of course. There are plenty of people who still insist that the earth was created 6,000 years ago in the face of all scientific evidence to the contrary. I'm sure there's also some hold-outs who believe that the sun revolves around the earth because they "see" it "move" across the sky. I feel it's my duty to point out, however, that such people are not accorded very much "respect", shall we say, among educated people.

I also regret to inform you that I'm going to report your prior post. You can't say I didn't warn you. Adults have to be able to discuss these issues without resorting to personal attacks. Not that you care, I'm sure, but you're also now on my Ignore list, so don't expect any further responses.
I am glad that I am on your ignore list. Because as I stated before; none of those sources have any real accuracy or merit and most of the time, are often outdated. And can be explained in a different way.

All you have ever presented to me was passive-aggressive baseless accusations and assumptions; and hypocritical self-projection.

I live in Louisiana and I believe I know our genetic heritage more than any other group of people; thank you. And I have also not disagreed with you. I have actually agreed with you on some points, if you read my posts. There is no such thing as ignorance towards your "sources"...You have simply misinterpreted them; Not I. I have simply gave you explanation for them, and you have simply ignored them completely or passed them off as opinion.

I have made explanations for why American Indian and Black DNA is seen in Acadians at a high frequency. It doesn't mean they are true Acadians though. Because these people are no longer Cajuns anyway. You have the definition of a Cajun twisted to include Mixed-race ethnicity like Creoles and Metis. Cajuns are white Acadian French colonist descendents.

I am glad that I am on your ignore list. Because as I stated before; none of those sources have any real accuracy or merit and most of the time, are often outdated. And can be explained in a different way.

All you have ever presented to me was passive-aggressive baseless accusations and assumptions; and hypocritical self-projection.

I live in Louisiana and I believe I know our genetic heritage more than any other group of people; thank you. And I have also not disagreed with you. I have actually agreed with you on some points, if you read my posts. There is no such thing as ignorance towards your "sources"...You have simply misinterpreted them; Not I. I have simply gave you explanation for them, and you have simply ignored them completely or passed them off as opinion.

I have made explanations for why American Indian and Black DNA is seen in Acadians at a high frequency. It doesn't mean they are true Acadians though. Because these people are no longer Cajuns anyway. You have the definition of a Cajun twisted to include Mixed-race ethnicity like Creoles and Metis. Cajuns are white Acadian French colonist descendents.

Actually, the original Acadian population of Nova Scotia included a lot of Micmac ancestry, mostly on the maternal side, because of the scarcity of women in the colony in the early days. And the Cajun population now includes a lot of non-Acadian ancestry. Given the former flexibility with surnames shown by Francophones in North America in the past, I'm dubious about any Cajun who claims to know who all his ancestors are. Many Cajun surnames are not found in France.

Actually, the original Acadian population of Nova Scotia included a lot of Micmac ancestry, mostly on the maternal side, because of the scarcity of women in the colony in the early days. And the Cajun population now includes a lot of non-Acadian ancestry. Given the former flexibility with surnames shown by Francophones in North America in the past, I'm dubious about any Cajun who claims to know who all his ancestors are. Many Cajun surnames are not found in France.
Yeah right; yet another exaggeration; and false information regarding my ethnic origins, to get under my skin. BTW most of the Micmac ancestry has been discredited and European mtDna has been found in certain female individuals who were thought to be Micmac. Micmac and other American indian ancestry is actually extremely rare.

I can see why a lot of newcomers have recently come to the board, have commented negatively and have a disdain for you and Angela. All you guys do is make baseless assumptions, bully, stalk and harass. Mind your own business and get a life hein? :)

Oh, by the way ... Hein is "eh" in French.

Please stop harassing and spreading disinformation. I've kept my thoughts from you for way too long and I think you are an arrogant, narcissistic, haughty sanctimony. I really do not appreciate your passive-aggressive taunting and will begin to report your messages to Moderators if you continue your passive-aggression. The easiest thing for me to do would be to put you on ignore and not associate myself with any of comments posts or responses from you, of any kind. I have no idea who you are or why you continue to patronize me or attempt to insult my intelligence or correct me; but I am tired of it. I don't have to listen to your ignorant drivelry; because for what I know; you don't have a PhD and your so far what you have presented to me; seems to suggest that you are a mostly incredulous member. I have a hard time believing why you are seen on this website with such High Status and awards; because most of the comments I have seen from you are mostly logical foxholes; thus your credibility has no importance or value to me.

I used to have a Cajun person on 23andme, their results were similar to a French person except they had 5% Native American. It probably was indigenous Canadian and acquired before migration to the US south.

Many French trappers who came to Canada could not get French girls so they mated with native aboriginal women. From a Portuguese Canadian I was told that the French government finally rounded up French prostitutes and shipped they over to Canada so that is why the Canadian French girls are very good-looking. I don't know how true this is but in summer in Toronto they are a lot of pretty Frech girls from Quebec selling flowers in the streets of Toronto. I asked a few of them and I was told they were from Quebec.

thats retarded.

Many French trappers who came to Canada could not get French girls so they mated with native aboriginal women. From a Portuguese Canadian I was told that the French government finally rounded up French prostitutes and shipped they over to Canada so that is why the Canadian French girls are very good-looking. I don't know how true this is but in summer in Toronto they are a lot of pretty Frech girls from Quebec selling flowers in the streets of Toronto. I asked a few of them and I was told they were from Quebec.

A joke often repeated by English speaking Quebecers is that a pure laine Quebecer is a Francophone who's half Irish and half Algonquin. Les Pepsis hate that joke because it's sometimes quite close to the truth.

This thread has been viewed 8563 times.

Back