Cancer Identified in 4500 year old skeleton in Siberia

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Here is a link to the article:
http://www.archaeology.org/news/2755-141204-siberia-oldest-cancer

The man suffered from either lung or prostrate cancer which had metastasized, and the scientists are linking it to smoke from fires as one of the possible environmental factors.

This isn't the first ancient skeleton from this area to have shown signs of cancer:
http://www.archaeology.org/news/2628-141016-ukok-princess-cancer

Then, there's Otzi with his arteriosclerosis, and didn't they say possibly diabetes as well, as well as arthritis?

Manknd has been dealing with these illnesses forever, it seems, and these poor souls didn't have the analgesics for pain that ameliorate it in the modern world.

One other thing did interest me in the original article. The scientist mentioned that the sample was a hunter gatherer. This was in 2500 BC. I wonder about the cultural context and precise location. Maybe when the paper comes out there will be more information.

I love using these examples of sick ancients in discussions with "naturalist/holistic" individuals. They always claim that we are getting sick, because we destroyed natural environment. When they follow this logic, they come to the conclusion that HGs couldn't get sick when living in unity with the natural world.

The man suffered from either lung or prostrate cancer which had metastasized, and the scientists are linking it to smoke from fires as one of the possible environmental factors.
Few more articles like this and I'm afraid, that next step in anti smoking campaign in our cities, will be banning all firepits and BBQs.

I love using these examples of sick ancients in discussions with "naturalist/holistic" individuals. They always claim that we are getting sick, because we destroyed natural environment. When they follow this logic, they come to the conclusion that HGs couldn't get sick when living in unity with the natural world.

Few more articles like this and I'm afraid, that next step in anti smoking campaign in our cities, will be banning all firepits and BBQs.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: It's right around the corner, no doubt!

I believe you are something of a provocateur, Le Brok. Me too. :) It's my immediate reaction to smug, arrogant people who think they have all the answers on a particular topic, when we don't even know the questions half of the time.

Could help the research?

Here is a link to the article:
http://www.archaeology.org/news/2755-141204-siberia-oldest-cancer

This isn't the first ancient skeleton from this area to have shown signs of cancer:
http://www.archaeology.org/news/2628-141016-ukok-princess-cancer

Then, there's Otzi with his arteriosclerosis, and didn't they say possibly diabetes as well, as well as arthritis?

Manknd has been dealing with these illnesses forever, it seems, and these poor souls didn't have the analgesics for pain that ameliorate it in the modern world.

One other thing did interest me in the original article. The scientist mentioned that the sample was a hunter gatherer. This was in 2500 BC. I wonder about the cultural context and precise location. Maybe when the paper comes out there will be more information.

The life span was much shorter then it was today even up to a century ago. When I visited a Merchants house (some call them Pirates) in San Malo France, we were told they used to have 12 and 13 year old boys working on the galleys as by 40 one would have reached old age in the general population.

The life span was much shorter then it was today even up to a century ago. When I visited a Merchants house (some call them Pirates) in San Malo France, we were told they used to have 12 and 13 year old boys working on the galleys as by 40 one would have reached old age in the general population.
For that reason we can't find too many old copses with cancer, dementia or coronary, diseases that kill most of our populations, so called old age maladies. Way back people died young from accidents, wares, births, infections and infectious diseases, and parasitic infections mostly.
Family needed on average 6 kids, to count on two to survive, and keep population numbers steady.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: It's right around the corner, no doubt!

I believe you are something of a provocateur, Le Brok. Me too. :) It's my immediate reaction to smug, arrogant people who think they have all the answers on a particular topic, when we don't even know the questions half of the time.
I think it comes indirectly (not my character), and with accumulation of huge general knowledge (age). It gives me much wider perspective on many subjects. As such, paradoxically, I could be perceived as contrarian, rebel, closed minded or provocateur, depending on conversation.

I think it comes indirectly (not my character), and with accumulation of huge general knowledge (age). It gives me much wider perspective on many subjects. As such, paradoxically, I could be perceived as contrarian, rebel, closed minded or provocateur, depending on conversation.

You could be speaking about me as well, I think. Well, thank goodness there are some benefits to aging, yes? :)

This thread has been viewed 5835 times.

Back