Question Hey men out there, do you act like typical males ?

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
In their new best-seller Why Men Lie and Women Cry , Allan and Barbara Pease write about 7 things their women readers have ask them to explain about men. Why do (typical) men :

1) Why do men continually offer solutions and give advice
2) Why do men keep flicking through the channels with the remote control ?
3) Why won't men stop and ask for directions ?
4) Why do men insist on leaving the toilet seat up ?
5) Why do men make such a fuss about going shopping ?
6) Why do men have such distgusting personal habits ? (=farting)
7) Why do men like gross jokes ?

I don't know what kind of people were surveyed, bu it seems to me that numbers 4 and 6 reveal low socio-economic level (possibly 7 too). I do understand what they mean for all of them, and it's true women are much less likely to behave like that than men. Read the book for explanations. What I am interested in is discuss these points.

1) The important thing to learn was not to "try to fix" a woman who wants to speak because she is stressed. Men want to settle their problems with solutions. Women just need to talk, be listened and get emotional support, not solutions. In this respect, I am a bit too virile. :p But I've learnt a lot about women's psychology, which helped me a lot with my wife. :cool:

2) I rarely watch TV, but when I do I first zap through all channels to know what's on, corresponding to A. and B. Pease's description that a man "doesn't want to know what's on TV, but what else is on TV".

3) Clear for me. I don't need it. My orientation has never failed me. But I admit that I hate asking or even worse being proposed help when I am looking at a public map in the street. I usually feel offended. I thought I was peculiar, but it seems lots of men are just like that, as their orientation skills are their pride.

4) Here is one think I spurn as primitive. I never stand to pee. I always sit like women. As they say, men usually miss the toilet and piss on the seat, floor or even on the wallpaper or roll of toilet paper ! After drops fall along their legs, trousers or shoes. That's really distgusting !

5) I don't dislike shopping, as long as I go where I want at my pace. When I have to follow my wife and wait for her to try everything, it bores me and gives me a headache afterwards. So I guess I almost fit the book's description.

6) That is also unthinkable for me. They say that to some men, farting is actually a source of entertainment where the biggest farter comes out victorious. Ditto for burping. I don't know if it's my education or just sensitivity, but I find this terribly rude and always try to be as discreet as possible so that nobody hears or smells anything (even when I am alone and at home - just the habit). Old Japanese of both sex are perfect counter examples of my (cultural) manners.

7) I wonder. Humour is far from universal. The typical jokes cited in the book are those likely to make me laugh, but neither were some cited for female humour. I guess it's a matter of culture and personality.

What do you other men out there think about that ? How does it fit for you ?

Numbers 1 and 3 seem to be because men always think we are right and no one else knows as much as we do.

Number 2 is because there is always the possibility that naked breasts are being displayed on another channel and we have to constantly flip around lest we might miss them.

Number 4 isn't really fair, why do women always leave the seat down?

Number 5 isn't true. Most men like shopping by themselves, but hate going shopping with girlfriends or spouses because we don't get to look at the stuff that we want to.

Number 6 also isn't fair. Farting is like the male version of childbirth, a natural process that by all rights should be honored rather than scorned.

Number 7 is because they are funny.

As in unwanted advice? Well, if I see someone in need of help, I might try to lend a hand.

We absorb information at a must faster rate than women. We also loose it more quickly too. :D

We all have a specific generical notion of were we are. We don't get lost, we just wonder about. :D

Different genders, different equipment. Besides, it helps us develop a better eye-hand coordination. :D (oh, my... I think I went too far with this one)

I don't mind buying itens that I find useful... like the new Radiohead album or a Phillips screwdriver kit. :)

Oh yeah... like that doesn't happen in the female side of the human family. Some people find it funny, I guess...

...err I don't see why men are the only one that might enjoy a gross joke.

Maciamo said:

1)...I don't do that.
2)Because I don't feel like waiting till the commercials finish, I'll stroll by it later.
3)I don't like talking to people unless I know them, which is really ironic since I probably speak to 20 people I don't know a day.
4)I don't. Personally I don't see why its a big deal for men to do it, why can't the women do it? How hard is it to put a seat down? why such a big deal?
5)Because, with women, shopping can last to about 2 hours +.
Why would I want to shop around when I already know what I want?
6)I think your reffering to these publicly right? Well if you are I don't do that in public.
7)I like any jokes? Question to women is, why don't you like gross jokes? Just because its gross doesn't make it un funny, unless its a fart joke or something.

1) You can't win with this one, if you give advice you are controling, if you don't your indifferent. 2) Just killing time before the yankee game starts. 3) i'm a man and i ask for dirctions. 4) i always look before i use the toilet, why don't women. 5) because they don't want to be accused of checking out other women. 6) farts are funny, accept it. 7) because they are funny, and women have no sense of humor. I love Andrew Dice Clay.

4) Here is one think I spurn as primitive. I never stand to pee. I always sit like women. As they say, men usually miss the toilet and piss on the seat, floor or even on the wallpaper or roll of toilet paper ! After drops fall along their legs, trousers or shoes. That's really distgusting !

I'm afraid you're the odd/primitive one here. Most grown men don't have problems with missing the toilet. If you've actually seen somebody piss on the wall or the toilet paper either they did it maliciously or they were extremely drunk.

So what do you do if you're in a public toilet and somebody has peed on the seat. Do you still sit down?

Re: Re: Hey men out there, do you act like typical males ?

mdchachi said:
I'm afraid you're the odd/primitive one here. Most grown men don't have problems with missing the toilet. If you've actually seen somebody piss on the wall or the toilet paper either they did it maliciously or they were extremely drunk.

So what do you do if you're in a public toilet and somebody has peed on the seat. Do you still sit down?

I was just quoting the book, as it seems lots of women at home comlpain about men not being good at aiming...
I usually avoid public toilets. If they aren't clean, I'll look for others. I can restrain myself pretty long, since I've always done it since my childhood. In Japan, they also have the hole in the ground type of toilet, but I don't like it so much either.

I guess peeing while standing is a matter of culture and education too. Muslim men always sit, and the Swedish governement has also decided to suppress male urinals, so that they can make unisex toilets (sex equality is important in Sweden...). As for me, I've been told that it was the hoi polloi who peed in toilets with seat. :D

1) if somethings broken, fix it.
2) i actually dont watch much tv, weird considering im american. i dont even have cable. but when i do i usually use the onscreen guide thing so i know everything that is on and go from there.
3) ive never been lost, a little off track several times, but not lost :p
4) i have to lift it up everytime i wanna use the bathroom, but you dont hear me complaining. i dont see why women make such an issue about it.
5) it gets old after the 50th outfit, plus my arms get tired from holding the purse.
6) if farting is a disgusting personal habit, then what is taking a crap? my point is women have "disgusting" habits as well. they just tend hide them, whereas men dont.
7) a joke is a joke and if its funny i laugh.

> I guess peeing while standing is a matter of culture and education too.
I guess so. I never thought about it before.

> Muslim men always sit, and
Maybe it depends on the country? In Malaysia they definitely had urinals but they were equipped with a special rinse feature which allows you to rinse off yourself when done. I assumed that the rinsing was a muslim custom. Sit down toilets had hoses or water nearby for the same purpose.

> the Swedish governement has also decided to suppress male urinals,
> so that they can make unisex toilets (sex equality is important in Sweden...)

Seems like they could provide a single toilet with both a urinal and a regular benki. That way there would be less chance of the messy guys who stand of messing up the sit-down commode.

mdchachi said:

> Muslim men always sit, and
Maybe it depends on the country? In Malaysia they definitely had urinals but they were equipped with a special rinse feature which allows you to rinse off yourself when done. I assumed that the rinsing was a muslim custom. Sit down toilets had hoses or water nearby for the same purpose.

But Malaysia is only 50% Muslim, so I guess they have to cater for the other 50% as well. I read that all Muslims in the world sat down to pee, but my sources may be wrong too... Anybody able to shed light on this ? :blush:

According to my limited observations (I have lived in Muslim countries for about ten years) bathroom habits largely depend on social origin ( = level of education, urban population vs. countryside). The higher social strata are quite "westernized" in their behaviour, also bathrooms with Western toilets have become very common. Welp, I really cannot support the claim that Muslim men generally sit down to urinate.

;)

ok, I am a woman, and I am wondering if I am strange(!) or if the survey is not very accurate????

He does if necessay and I am thankful for his help

I am probably as worse as him. Strange but when I was at home, my Father and I had the "terrible" habit of flicking channels, and my Mother and older brother found it really annoying!

well, actually I do see this in my husband!

It's not such a big thing, as someone else said, men have to put the seat up so why should we complain about putting it down!

He'll go shopping with me, but I hate having him hanging around. I really can't relax with him waiting.

It's no problem for me. If he does I'll just laugh but, then he doesn't let rip that often.

7) Why do men like gross jokes ? I love them too!

I am still a "shinconsan" so perhaps ask me again in 10 years and I'll give a different answer. or perhaps it's because my husband is Japanese and therefore less crude? haha.....

I must be too sensitive. :bawling:

wow nzueda you sound like the perfect wife, im sure your husband is happy as well. yours arent typical female views of those questions as most of the women/girls i know complain about the toilet seat thing especially. in which i case i usually tell them gravity is on their side. :p

I don't really mind about the toilet seat either. Now that there are 4 males in my house, I've made my peace with the fact that it's not always going to be put down!

1) Why do men continually offer solutions and give advice? -
whats wrong with that?
2) Why do men keep flicking through the channels with the remote control ? i dont do that often.
3) Why won't men stop and ask for directions ? i ask directions.
4) Why do men insist on leaving the toilet seat up ? i live in a house with one woman, and i dont do it on purpose.
5) Why do men make such a fuss about going shopping ? i love shopping.
6) Why do men have such distgusting personal habits ? (=farting) - only when im not around someone.
7) Why do men like gross jokes ? i hate them and i try not to laugh to them.

I think a lot of these would apply to women too! Especially #1. I've had some female friends who felt the need to give advice when none was asked for and some male friends who knew not to. It seems the friends (both male and female) who felt they needed to give unsolicited advice had been brought up to be very responsible at an early age and, therefore, felt they were "responsible" for other people and their problems. Of course, I never conducted a survey on it or anything!! But I think a lot of these things are simply "human" traits and are contingent on individual background. :)

1 - i hardly ever give advice - its always rubbish
2 - i plead guilty to channel flicking
3 - i do!
4 - i put the toilet seat down
5 - i love shopping!
6 - no habits like that as far as i know!
7 - gross jokes - it kinda varies from joke to joke i suppose, i find some funny but others not so

i get 1 and a half out of 7...not so typical

depends on the person. i offer advice only to few people since. but im rather too quiet then offering too much advice.

i dont have a remote control. i dont get many channels either so that would be some fast flicking (if i would have a remote control).

dont have/need a car. i dislike asking people i dont know stuff, but when i have to i do so (like when it was my first day at the biggest university of germany. took me ages to find out where to find what i was searching for)

dont know any guy who insists on that

those who do so r stressed by it while those women who like shopping are relaxed by it.

dont know any guys who have such habits.the only person i know that tends to fart a lot is a woman. *shrugs*

some of them are quite funny.

well, all in all:
the above might fit for a certain type of men. if u call that type the typical type of men is imho just a matter of personal interest. dunno actually how much effort and thought to put into a reply here since i wonder why its not in the humour/fun section of the forum.

This thread has been viewed 25696 times.

Back