What exactly is Neanderthal DNA?

Melancon

Banned
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Celto-Germanic (70% Cajun French - 30% English)
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b (S21) - Nordic
mtDNA haplogroup
H (H1) - Atlantid
On my 23andme account; it seems I rank 3rd out of 59 people who have the most Neanderthal DNA in their genome. My Neanderthal DNA is 3.0%; while the average is around 2.7% in the average European user. Apparently out of all 23andme users, I am in the 94th percentile in terms of Neanderthal DNA.

I found this a bit odd; and I want to know why it seems I have a lot of Neanderthal DNA. My ancestry is a bit unique and rare for an American; as I have an Acadian French background; and possibly some Iberian (maybe Galician or Basque?) ancestry.

I actually have very small facial features. Contrary to what a Neanderthal would look like. I am about 173 centimetre; or about 5'7 or 5'8. Could it be that I have ancestry from Basques? Do Basques rank highest on Neanderthal DNA? I have had genomes from French people; to White Americans; to Black African Americans; to American indians, mixed-race people, Germans and even Finnish people. And I all out-rank them in terms of Neanderthal DNA.

Is this 23andme Neanderthal DNA just a pseudoscience? Or is it real; genuine? Does it mean I am unique, genetically? Or is it all just coincidence? Or erroneous?

Is this 23andme Neanderthal DNA just a pseudoscience? Or is it real; genuine? Does it mean I am unique, genetically? Or is it all just coincidence? Or erroneous?

Here is a very good lecture by Lara fabien on her very basic paper on genetics. The weird thing is she sings it and does not speak, but I guess she made her point :)

Here is a very good lecture by Lara fabien on her very basic paper on genetics. The weird thing is she sings it and does not speak, but I guess she made her point :)
Uh, okay. Not sure how this relates to my post. But thanks I guess?

The people who currently have the highest rates of Neanderthal ancestry are Native Americans, particularly those who are from South America. However, everyone other than Sub-Saharan Blacks have some Neanderthal DNA.

The people who currently have the highest rates of Neanderthal ancestry are Native Americans, particularly those who are from South America.
Can you tell me where you acquired this information? Source(s) etc.?

Edit: Back that claim up with sources; otherwise it is meaningless.

Last edited:
it's hairs on your chest and back

It's just one of those things that most people know about, and you could find hundreds of websites that talk about it if you did a quick internet search for "Neanderthal DNA". Here's one website.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal_geonome_project
I actually found almost nothing. Oh well.

My current theory is that Galicians and Basques may have the most Neanderthal DNA. It would make sense to me; seeing as Iberian peninsula has the most original "old" European DNA. Most of the Spaniards sent to from the Canary Islands to Louisiana were Galician and Basques, and they later became Francophone and mixed with the Acadian population. I would not be surprised if I had at least a little bit of that contribution in me. But I am apparently 86% Northern European, and about 11.2% Southern European; according to 23andme.

Does anyone here know any specific Neanderthal SNPs? I could possibly Browse my Raw DNA through my genome and look things up for myself.

I am interested in sharing genomes with people of Galician and Basque descent; but they seem difficult to find.

Yes, probably in my opinion, Basques are the indigenous people of Europe still alive. We should learn from their DNA.

Yes, probably in my opinion, Basques are the indigenous people of Europe still alive. We should learn from their DNA.
Recent genetic tests are telling us that all Europeans, without exception, are made of first farmers who came from Fertile Crescent, local hunter gatherers and horse riding herders from Eurasian steppe. Genetically modern Europeans came to existence around Bronze Age. This process didn't skip Basques. Just because they speak a different language it doesn't mean they are "original" "Europeans. Original Europeans, the way you imagine, are all dead and gone forever.

Recent genetic tests are telling us that all Europeans, without exception, are made of first farmers who came from Fertile Crescent, local hunter gatherers and horse riding herders from Eurasian steppe. Genetically modern Europeans came to existence around Bronze Age. This process didn't skip Basques. Just because they speak a different language it doesn't mean they are "original" "Europeans. Original Europeans, the way you imagine, are all dead and gone forever.

can't they live 'among us' as part of our DNA?
like Blondism?

can't they live 'among us' as part of our DNA?
like Blondism?
That's exactly how they've survived, as part of our DNA. Piro Ilir was looking for these elusive original Europeans, in form of surviving whole group/tribe/nation. As such they don't exist. Instead they are in all of us, as part of our DNA.

This thread has been viewed 6415 times.

Back