It's Official-Eat Your Broccoli (And Take Ibuprofen) If You Want to Prolong Your Life

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Well, it's official until the next study comes out. :)

For those of us who do indeed think there's a value in having people live past 40, here are two recent papers about substances that may slow down aging:

Substance from broccoli has beneficial effect in aging disorder:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141217101312.htm

Ibuprofen use leads to extended life span in several species:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141218141004.htm

Of all the tasty vegetables in the world, I think broccoli is my favorite. And I agree that any anti-inflammatory that can be safely used will improve health. I don't know much about ibuprofen, but there are some medical articles on the web that indicate prolonged use of ibuprofen can cause heart problems. But I haven't read any actual research papers on the subject.

I remember there was a time when it was told that Asprin had too many side effects and to be used with great caution, but now its beneficial against heart disease and also against some cancers. Sounds like good news to me.

Taking too much Ibuprofen, at the levels that people who have rheumatoid or other autoimmune arthritis might take it, for example, can cause stomach ulcers, and in extreme cases, liver damage, and so those people require monitoring, but then, everything taken in extremely high doses can be a problem. All in all, it's rather a miracle drug, I think. I know a lot of people who take one aspirin and some ibuprofen every day for preventative health reasons.

@Aberdeen,
We like broccoli at my house too, luckily, since I serve it a couple of times a week. It's supposed to be protective against cancer, too. I've never understood that whole "I hate broccoli" thing. I have to admit though, that I don't usually order it out; restaurants lately seem to serve it undercooked and under "dressed", I guess you could say...Yes, I'm fussy, fussy, fussy.:)

This thread has been viewed 4224 times.

Back