The new way to look at Ancient mtDNA

Fire Haired14

Banned
Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b DF27*
mtDNA haplogroup
U5b2a2b1
I have been very frustrated with how academics and amateurs online view ancient mtDNA. To most what really matter is the frequency of large and old haplogroups, such as H and U, compared to modern people which is plain ridiculous. This has caused many to make wrong conclusions about ancient people based on their mtDNA. For example many believe Bell beaker from Germany was mostly Iberian-like because of its high frequency of mtDNA H, but if you look more deeply into it's mtDNA you'll see it's very similar to German Corded ware, Unetice, Bronze age Pontic Steppe, and Bronze age central Asia.

All we have to learn about ancient mtDNA is "Ancestral Journeys", which only gives the haplogroup label of samples, year, era, and cultural affinity. We don't know what extra mutations each sample had, haplogroup frequencies, haplotypes in ancient mtDNA, and Ancestral Journeys is wrong on some of its haplogroup labels. It is impossible to compare ancient mtDNA to modern mtDNA in any meaningful way using Ancestral Journeys. Enthusiasts online are kept in the dark when it comes to ancient mtDNA, because of a lack of convenient resources.

Because of those reasons I created "Ancient mtDNA package", which has every Upper Palaeolithic-Bronze age mtDNA sample on Ancestral Journeys(except for a few), fully analysed.

Ancient mtDNA package

There are 6 sections in the Ancient mtDNA package:

1.Ancient mtDNA reference: This is a spreadsheet with all the samples I analysed accorded to age(except for hunter gatherers) and or region. I enbolded likely founder effects in the same color. I only considered samples from the same site as possible founder effects.

The last section of the spreadsheet is "Likely false results".They're all from old studies. I kept them in the spreadsheet so we will at least consider they may have some validity. I'm suspicious many of the samples from Iberia in general, which are mostly from old studies, have false results.

2.Haplogroup Frequencies: This has a spreadsheet showing haplogroup frequencies for every subgroup in "Ancient mtDNA reference". I only put frequencies for haplogroups which can be defined by HV1, or CR if the vast majority of samples from that section were tested for a specific CR SNP.

3.Map of Haplogroup Frequences: Here I show haplogroup frequencies on a map.

4.Haplotypes: In this file every haplotype in "Ancient mtDNA reference" are presented on Google documents.

5.Map of Haplotype: In this File I have a map of the haplotypes for every haplogroup. I only display haplotypes which are shared between more than one sample. I don't treat popular haplogroups, such as U5 as haplotypes.

6.Sources: In this File are all my sources. It also has all my personal notes, which will probably be hard to understand.

I'll continuously edit the Ancient mtDNA package as new samples come in, and as I think of better ways to present ancient mtDNA. I will also use this method with modern mtDNA, so that we can directly compare it to ancient mtDNA. I think this will be the new way people will look at mtDNA in general, because it's the most detailed way possible.

I suggest everyone who is interested in human prehistory put this on their Google Drive or Download it to Microsoft office.

Last edited:
I have been very frustrated with how academics and amateurs online view ancient mtDNA. To most what really matter is the frequency of large and old haplogroups, such as H and U, compared to modern people which is plain ridiculous. This has caused many to make wrong conclusions about ancient people based on their mtDNA. For example many believe Bell beaker from Germany was mostly Iberian-like because of its high frequency of mtDNA H, but if you look more deeply into it's mtDNA you'll see it's very similar to German Corded ware, Unetice, Bronze age Pontic Steppe, and Bronze age central Asia.

All we have to learn about ancient mtDNA is "Ancestral Journeys", which only gives the haplogroup label of samples, year, era, and cultural affinity. We don't know what extra mutations each sample had, haplogroup frequencies, haplotypes in ancient mtDNA, and Ancestral Journeys is wrong on some of its haplogroup labels. It is impossible to compare ancient mtDNA to modern mtDNA in any meaningful way using Ancestral Journeys. Enthusiasts online are kept in the dark when it comes to ancient mtDNA, because of a lack of convenient resources.

Because of those reasons I created "Ancient mtDNA package", which has every Upper Palaeolithic-Bronze age mtDNA sample on Ancestral Journeys(except for a few), fully analysed.

Ancient mtDNA package

There are 6 sections in the Ancient mtDNA package:

1.Ancient mtDNA reference: This is a spreadsheet with all the samples I analysed accorded to age(except for hunter gatherers) and or region. I enbolded likely founder effects in the same color. I only considered samples from the same site as possible founder effects.

The last section of the spreadsheet is "Likely false results".They're all from old studies. I kept them in the spreadsheet so we will at least consider they may have some validity. I'm suspicious many of the samples from Iberia in general, which are mostly from old studies, have false results.

2.Haplogroup Frequencies: This has a spreadsheet showing haplogroup frequencies for every subgroup in "Ancient mtDNA reference". I only put frequencies for haplogroups which can be defined by HV1, or CR if the vast majority of samples from that section were tested for a specific CR SNP.

3.Map of Haplogroup Frequences: Here I show haplogroup frequencies on a map.

4.Haplotypes: In this file every haplotype in "Ancient mtDNA reference" are presented on Google documents.

5.Map of Haplotype: In this File I have a map of the haplotypes for every haplogroup. I only display haplotypes which are shared between more than one sample. I don't treat popular haplogroups, such as U5 as haplotypes.

6.Sources: In this File are all my sources. It also has all my personal notes, which will probably be hard to understand.

I'll continuously edit the Ancient mtDNA package as new samples come in, and as I think of better ways to present ancient mtDNA. I will also use this method with modern mtDNA, so that we can directly compare it to ancient mtDNA. I think this will be the new way people will look at mtDNA in general, because it's the most detailed way possible.

I suggest everyone who is interested in human prehistory put this on their Google Drive or Download it to Microsoft office.

looks really cool I like what you did, the haplogroup frequency maps 404 error for me though

Sorry, I don't know how to take that error away.

This thread has been viewed 3336 times.

Back