Kennewick Man Was Native American

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Thanks to Dienekes for the heads up...

http://www.dienekes.blogspot.com/2015/01/kennewick-man-was-native-american.html

According to information obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, preliminary genetic testing shows that Kennewick Man was indeed Native American, ending years of controversy.

This is the link to the original newspaper article:
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2025488002_kennewickdnaxml.html

Dienekes' take on it:
The recent publication of the Kostenki-14 genome, which has been described as morphologically Australoid, but appears to be genetically European should make us wary of interpreting phenotypes of early specimens in terms of the much later human populations. In the case of Europeans, it seems that the Caucasoid genetic lineage existed even before full Caucasoid morphology had evolved (at least in some specimens of Upper Paleolithic Europeans, as others had clear Caucasoid morphology).

I would not be surprised if the same was true for Native Americans, that is, the typical morphology of recent Native Americans was not present in their earliest predecessors, who, nonetheless, were part of the same evolving lineage of humans in the Americas. The Anzick-1 genome from the Clovis culture and several mtDNA results have not really turned up anything "exotic" in ancient inhabitants of the Americas, so it seems that the hypothesis of recent Native Americans being descended from a wave of people that replaced earlier inhabitants is losing ground with each new discovery.

Here is the reconstruction:
1bkJ3P.AuSt.13.jpg

I'm rather conflicted about using the Freedom of Information Act for this kind of thing. The scientists have a property interest in their work, and it would be better for everyone if the tests were completed before publication of the results.

Interesting, but I'll wait for the data before buying into any school of thought about Kennewick Man, who in any case was a single example and may not be typical. I doubt if most early Amerindians had a face that looked as European as that.

Interesting, but I'll wait for the data before buying into any school of thought about Kennewick Man, who in any case was a single example and may not be typical. I doubt if most early Amerindians had a face that looked as European as that.
Consecutive waves of invaders from Asia changed their morphology somewhat. I think what they want to say is, that there was continuity from Kennewick man to modern Natives without replacement of population.

Thanks to Dienekes for the heads up...

http://www.dienekes.blogspot.com/2015/01/kennewick-man-was-native-american.html

According to information obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, preliminary genetic testing shows that Kennewick Man was indeed Native American, ending years of controversy.

This is the link to the original newspaper article:
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2025488002_kennewickdnaxml.html

Dienekes' take on it:
The recent publication of the Kostenki-14 genome, which has been described as morphologically Australoid, but appears to be genetically European should make us wary of interpreting phenotypes of early specimens in terms of the much later human populations. In the case of Europeans, it seems that the Caucasoid genetic lineage existed even before full Caucasoid morphology had evolved (at least in some specimens of Upper Paleolithic Europeans, as others had clear Caucasoid morphology).

I would not be surprised if the same was true for Native Americans, that is, the typical morphology of recent Native Americans was not present in their earliest predecessors, who, nonetheless, were part of the same evolving lineage of humans in the Americas. The Anzick-1 genome from the Clovis culture and several mtDNA results have not really turned up anything "exotic" in ancient inhabitants of the Americas, so it seems that the hypothesis of recent Native Americans being descended from a wave of people that replaced earlier inhabitants is losing ground with each new discovery.

Here is the reconstruction:
1bkJ3P.AuSt.13.jpg

I'm rather conflicted about using the Freedom of Information Act for this kind of thing. The scientists have a property interest in their work, and it would be better for everyone if the tests were completed before publication of the results.

he looks more like Christopher Columbus ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds exciting. We finally hopefully will see the dna results after all these years, and have some more light shone on some of these early population movements into the Americas. I can’t wait to run it through the admixture calculators, and other online tests.

he looks more like Christopher Columbus ;)

Well, they've tried to make him everything else under the sun, so why not Native American?
grin.png

Seriously, maybe I should have explained that the reconstruction is from a physical anthropologist who published a book on the remains, not from Willerslev's group. Originally, there were some claims he was Caucasian; however, after more extensive x-rays and imaging, ( shades of the Oetzi analyses) the anthropologist stated that Kennewick Man most resembles the Ainu (and their ancestors the Jomon) and Polynesians.

I think the point is, as Dienekes pointed out, that the morphology of ancient people may be misleading as to ancestry....

Any predictions for the Ydna and mtdna haplogroups of Kennewick man?

I'll go with C1 for mtdna and I guess Q-M3 for the Y. That's just because I read that researchers performing the DNA analysis “feel that Kennewick has normal, standard Native American genetics,” Otherwise, I'd like to say X2a and R1b-M269.

Well, back in 1999 they said his DNA was "D". But they attributed that finding to contamination.

So if he has a different haplogroup that will be proven true.

Well, back in 1999 they said his DNA was "D". But they attributed that finding to contamination.

So if he has a different haplogroup that will be proven true.

I think he may well belong to D. Three of the other ancient Native American skeletons belonged to D: Anzick1 (12,500 ybp); Paleo-Eskimo from Greenland (4,000 ybp); and the teenage girl found in the underwater cave in Mexico (13,000 ybp). (although some people take issue with Anzick1's date)

Also, James Chatters has said: “The result from Kennewick is the same one we’re getting from the other early individuals,”

I'll still go with saying C1, though.

Any predictions for the Ydna and mtdna haplogroups of Kennewick man?

I'll go with C1 for mtdna and I guess Q-M3 for the Y. That's just because I read that researchers performing the DNA analysis “feel that Kennewick has normal, standard Native American genetics,” Otherwise, I'd like to say X2a and R1b-M269.

So I was right about the Q-M3 but wrong about the mtdna. Although I did say I'd like to say X2a: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vnfv/ncurrent/full/nature14625.html#ref24 Very interesting paper to ponder.

The closest match for the Y seems to be in NorthWestern Europe (Q-L804), and the closest match for the mtdna seems to be Europe as well, along with the Middle East and North Africa (the closer branches of X2). Although the Principal Components plot shows the closer matches being in Siberian populations, rather than European populations. And the Algonquin tribes are among the closest matches using other statistics.

Also of note is his basal position of X2a on the X2a branch (negative for X2a1 and X2a2.) This suggests that maybe X2a isn't that much older than him (8,500 ybp). And if that turns out to be the case then maybe R1b-M269 could be old enough to have come over with X2.

Also interesting were the EDAR mutations found in some of the 8,000 ybp samples in Motala Sweden. I wonder if they matched Kennewick Man.

So I was right about the Q-M3 but wrong about the mtdna. Although I did say I'd like to say X2a: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vnfv/ncurrent/full/nature14625.html#ref24 Very interesting paper to ponder.

The closest match for the Y seems to be in NorthWestern Europe (Q-L804), and the closest match for the mtdna seems to be Europe as well, along with the Middle East and North Africa (the closer branches of X2). Although the Principal Components plot shows the closer matches being in Siberian populations, rather than European populations. And the Algonquin tribes are among the closest matches using other statistics.

Also of note is his basal position of X2a on the X2a branch (negative for X2a1 and X2a2.) This suggests that maybe X2a isn't that much older than him (8,500 ybp). And if that turns out to be the case then maybe R1b-M269 could be old enough to have come over with X2.

Also interesting were the EDAR mutations found in some of the 8,000 ybp samples in Motala Sweden. I wonder if they matched Kennewick Man.

Yeah you called it mang. Interesting about his mtDNA/age in relation to M269, but I think there's a huge proximity hurdle to overcome here during the time in question. R was and is highly dispersed though, and M269 looks to have branched off in the steppe. L804 looks to have come to Europe far later with Altaic peoples in the 1st centuries AD, but the EDAR mut in Motala right near the region of highest modern L804 in Europe is really interesting. Although the mutations weren't present at the frequencies of East Asians, and of course Motala was I2 and all WHG/SHG. We're also ignoring the fact that a small group of M269 should have IEanized all of North America, introducing horses, cattle, red hair, and bronze.

In spite of my wish of R1a autosomally indistinguishable from modern day West Africans, with red hair, this is really good for the effort. Now remaining Native Americans will be encouraged to get tested so they can be proud of which ancient ancestor they most resemble and we'll learn more about the peopling of the Americas in the process, which little more than a decade ago was thought unknowable. Absolutely fascinating.

In a no doubt futile and thus pointless attempt to theorize proto-language groups: It looks like Kennewick was some sort of proto-Salish, which given the additional affinity to Algic speaking people would imply an upstream proto-Salig :wary2:. I would have guessed Penutian, but KM lived on a diet nearly entirely composed of Marine biomass, which fits perfectly with that the Salish culture subsisted primarily on a marine economy. The marine life was so abundant in the Puget Sound area that the Salish had evolved a highly complex social stratification, complete with what looked an awful lot like a caste system, without farming. This speaks to the value of the region, and how early this was discovered if Kennewick does represent continuity in the region, and it really looks like that. The southern correlations make sense too, because the easiest path to South America is along the Pacific Ocean. Looks more mayan than Aztec, and Uto-Aztecan came later from the great basin, which is all consistent at least. Hmm

The southern correlations make sense too, because the easiest path to South America is along the Pacific Ocean.

According to this page: http://www.y-str.org/p/ancient-dna.html Kennewick Man belongs to Q-M199, which is downstream of Q-M3 and is only found in South America.
I took a sneak look at some admixture runs of Kennewick Man from a link on his page. There were four Dodecad v3 runs made, and I averaged them. Those averaged results, displayed here with Anzick 1 were:

Dodecad v3
Kennewick Man Average
Anzick 1
East_European
West_European
Mediterranean
-
Neo_African
West_Asian
-
South_Asian
Northeast_Asian
Southeast_Asian
East_African
-
Southwest_Asian
-
Northwest_African
-
Palaeo_African

The Northeast Asian and Southeast Asian results look close, as do the Neo-African and Palaeo-African. However, the West European, East European and South Asian results look significantly different. Kennewick Man looks more West European. I wonder if haplogroup X has something to do with that. The recent ancient East European results that have mtdna C (e.g. the Mesolithic Karelia one) are showing a sizable Amerindian component in some of the calculators. I know these algorithms can guess at some of these categories if they don’t have enough of the more recently derived SNPs, but the difference in the table here still looks marked to me. I also hope they followed an unbiased procedure in discarding SNPs they thought were due to contamination. If they discarded SNPs they thought were too European, that might have deflated the European component. I’m not saying that that happened though.

The autosomal DNA sample from Kennewick Man is available on Gedmatch.com as Kit Number: F999970. I ran the admixture results there for several different calculators and got the following results:

For the Eurogenes Hunter_Gatherer vs. Farmer Admixture Proportions, it picks up 3.84% Mediterranean Farmer DNA in Kennewick Man. This is absent in Anzick 1, the Palaeo-Eskimo from Greenland, and the Mal’ta boy.

PopulationKennewick
Man
Anzick 1Palaeo-
Eskimo
Mal'ta
Boy
Anatolian Farmer-1.23%0.12%-
Baltic Hunter Gatherer7.87%3.27%10.46%51.08%
Middle Eastern Herder--0.18%-
East Asian Farmer3.77%2.37%10.77%-
South American Hunter Gatherer65.34%84.01%9.11%19.97%
South Asian Hunter Gatherer--3.38%25.02%
North Eurasian Hunter Gatherer15.28%7.91%59.44%3.24%
East African Pastoralist--2.39%-
Oceanian Hunter Gatherer0.58%0.69%-0.43%
Mediterranean Farmer3.84%---
Pygmy Hunter Gatherer-0.48%-0.25%
Bantu Farmer3.30%-4.16%-
However, this Mediterranean Farmer component doesn’t seem to appear in Eurogenes15 or the Dodecad v3 or K12b calculators.

Dodecad v3 shows Kennewick Man as having 9% more West European than Anzick 1, and 1% less East European.

Dodecad v3
Kennewick Man
Anzick 1
Palaeo-Eskimo
East_European
West_European
Mediterranean
Neo_African
West_Asian
South_Asian
Northeast_Asian
Southeast_Asian
East_African
Southwest_Asian
Northwest_African
Palaeo_African

This result looks fairly consistent with the Eurogenes 15 and Dodecad K12b calculators as well.

Eurogenes15Kennewick
Man
Anzick 1
North_Sea2.77%0.95%
Atlantic7.20%0.14%
Baltic0.53%0.08%
Eastern_Euro6.58%3.52%
West_Med--
West_Asian--
East_Med--
Red_Sea--
South_Asian--
Southeast_Asian0.16%1.63%
Siberian10.06%4.58%
Amerindian68.90%88.51%
Oceanian-0.34%
Northeast_African-0.26%
Sub-Saharan3.79%-
Dodecad K12bKennewick
Man
Anzick 1
Gedrosia8.51%7.83%
Siberian31.26%33.51%
Northwest_African--
Southeast_Asian4.74%6.32%
Atlantic_Med--
North_European24.14%17.80%
South_Asian2.58%4.41%
East_African--
Southwest_Asian--
East_Asian26.64%29.05%
Caucasus--
Sub_Saharan2.13%1.08%
Maybe Kennewick Man’s mtdna X2 crossed the Atlantic some 11,000-or-so ybp and brought along with it this West European component / other similarly-named components.

Some schools of thinkings here too? but to criticize and metrics and auDNA:
1- we share by force some ancient non mutated DNA with the whole humanity, current as ancient (we share a lot also with animals!)
2- concerning metrics, almost ALL the valuable anthropologists of past knew that it is roughly said among 'europoids' that the most of ancient cranial features have been kept with; the most "brutal"like 'europoids' show the most of "family air" with 'veddoids' and 'australoids', except the nose and somewhat the prognatism evolution; a German scholar I forgot his name call that the 'median ligne' of human evolution; black subsaharian African show a lot of new features compared to past, as 'east-asian' do, on an other direction; I'm not amazed superficial analysis of cranial features of Kennewick concluded he was 'europoid' (in America it was almost predictible: complex of the colonizator).
the same was believed in ancient time for Ainoos; as Ainoos, Kennewick would be an ancient form of east-asians physically less evolved (small number?). That doesn't prove Kennewick is part of the lignage which gave birth to ALL Amerindians... Things are on the move about the matter.
by evidence the most ancient traits kept by every branch of humanity are partly common, no surprise; phoenotypical traits as well as DNA;
&: concerning Kostenki14, I said it seemed more 'cromagnoid' than 'australoid' to me; it was a bet(lack of several angles helas) - rather less "primitive" than most of 'combe-capelloid-brünnoid' types. this reconstitution of the Kennewick seems a bit biased: the free jutting to high, and hte lack of muscles on the jaw, too narrow for a 'life' pictures concerning a man of these periods (personal thought, without guarantee).

I noticed Gedrosia and lack of Caucasus in both samples.

He got a significant Caucasoid DNA on autosomal results.

This thread has been viewed 26770 times.

Back