Were paleolithic hunter-gatherers on drugs?

LeBrok

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Citizen of the world
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b Z2109
mtDNA haplogroup
H1c
Certainly it is a conclusion of one researcher, Eva Hopman. In her paper she presents many examples of paleolithic art from around the world that could have been drawn by hunter-gatherers under influence of psychedelic drugs. It is known, from neurological experiments and visions of contemporary drug users, that altered mind creates visions rich with certain shapes and movements. Such psychedelic elements were identified by Eva Hopman in cave art.

http://www.academia.edu/1397021/Hal...s_of_Consciousness_in_the_Palaeolithic_Period

It is hard to present firm proof of her claim without blood sample of cavemen. However, evidence is compelling, plus simple observation of existing hunter gatherer lifestyle can confirm her suspicion. For example a very isolated Amazon tribe, among many, uses psychedelic substances on daily bases, yes daily. It is good for chanting, getting close to ancestors, chasing away bad spirits from sick people, and feeling good and one with universe in general.

It is good documentary to watch it all with enjoyment, but if time is at essence, check min 18, 20 and 44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ4Obl-XbtI

Another tribe: Check min 11.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zosGI06sICY

It is possible that our modern world drug problem is not a modern liberal, spoiled, decadent, sinful and devilish invention, but the reflex or genetic memory of our ancestral past. Are we descendents of drug addicts, lol?

cannabis would have grown on the steppe, and Tocharian and Iranic sjamans would have used it, one mummie in the Tarim Basin was burried with cannabis.
the Tocharian / Iranic steppe people may also have used it for medicinal reasons (pain tranquilizer), but they did not seem to have been addicted to it
however, when China was reached through the silk road (Hexi corridor) it seems Chinese got addicted

I think LeBrok was on drugs when he made this thread. Magic Mushrooms do grow natively in Scandinavia though.

I think LeBrok was on drugs when he made this thread. Magic Mushrooms do grow natively in Scandinavia though.
Mushrooms are just a small part of this equation. Check the paper for a list of magic plants.

It is possible that our modern world drug problem is not a modern liberal, spoiled, decadent, sinful and devilish invention, but the reflex or genetic memory of our ancestral past. Are we descendents of drug addicts, lol?

It definitely is not as many different type of natural drugs were used in ancient societies. However its all about balance and how its interpreted. Also what is beneficial and what is not and how beneficial is interpreted and proved. Sometimes Drug taking is not about decadence and being sinful, but particular (various) psychological or innate or socially created conditions that Science, Society have not found a right solution yet (if ever is found). This includes alcoholism and smoking too (both legal drugs)

The problem of many drugs today are extracted in higher concentrations and even created synthetically making them much more lethal compared to the natural forms they were used in antiquity.

Last edited:
The problem of many drugs today are extracted in higher concentrations and even created synthetically making them much more lethal compared to the natural forms they were used in antiquity.
Indeed, this could be the biggest problem.

My guess about paleolithic art especially those uncomparable 3D images from caves is that cave art were created by humans with different visual brains compared to modern humans. Could it be so that cave artists inherited those enhanced visual capabilities from Neanderthals who had much larger visual brains than pure Cromagnon?

I`m sure our ancestors used some type of hallucinogens. If it grows and can be harvested, then in all likelihood these early foragers would have been aware of it...and considering some of the shapes and figures found in a proportion of cave rock, I think the artist was.
In the discussions regarding use of hallucinogens, ritual usually seems to come top of the list. I imagine this to be right but I would not like to bet this was the only use, I`m thinking pain relief may have been another option. Recall the Ice Princess Ukok used cannabis...this is a much later period of course but it`s likely earlier people would have done the same IMO.
There are some who link the artwork of Knowth as a product of hallucinogens and some speculating some sort of hallucinogen may have been used in Newgrange along with acoustic chanting....even that, it and the Hypogeum in Malta are both tuned to 110 HZ.... not sure about that.

I`m sure our ancestors used some type of hallucinogens. If it grows and can be harvested, then in all likelihood these early foragers would have been aware of it...and considering some of the shapes and figures found in a proportion of cave rock, I think the artist was.
In the discussions regarding use of hallucinogens, ritual usually seems to come top of the list. I imagine this to be right but I would not like to bet this was the only use, I`m thinking pain relief may have been another option. Recall the Ice Princess Ukok used cannabis...this is a much later period of course but it`s likely earlier people would have done the same IMO.
There are some who link the artwork of Knowth as a product of hallucinogens and some speculating some sort of hallucinogen may have been used in Newgrange along with acoustic chanting....even that, it and the Hypogeum in Malta are both tuned to 110 HZ.... not sure about that.

I think humans have a natural tendency to want to experience altered states of consciousness and probably tried all sorts of natural highs, some working better than others. We have no way of knowing how many people died before they figured out the difference between magic mushrooms and poisonous mushrooms. But I agree with LeBrok and Maleth that the modern concept of drug addiction seems to have been created by artificial drugs with high potency. People in South America apparently used coca leaves for centuries and found them beneficial but turn those coca leaves into cocaine and you have a very dangerous drug.

This thread has been viewed 3648 times.

Back