Dog and badger meat helped humans survive in Atapuerca

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
I would think that the meat of any animal that is even partly carnivorous would be quite raunchy compared to the meat of a herbivore. I know the Polynesians used to eat dog but it was from a now distinct breed of vegetarian dogs whereas modern dogs are meat preferential omnivores. But people in Asia still eat dogs. Perhaps that's partly because keeping dogs as pets is less common in Asia. I have trouble picturing someone eating dog after having a dog as a member of their family.

What is the rule, once you give it a name you can't eat it?

What is the rule, once you give it a name you can't eat it?

My rule is that once I have a friend among a particular species, I won't eat that species. But not every creature follows that rule. When I was a teenager, I had a dog that used to help me hunt rabbits but he was also friends with the pet rabbits my brother raised. One day my brother decided that one of his pet rabbits, a buck, wasn't impregnating the does so he decided to kill the rabbit and cut it up for the dinner table. My dog freaked out and acted quite afraid of my brother after that, as if he was afraid he'd be next. So I guess my dog thought it was okay to hunt wild rabbits but not to eat pet rabbits. Maybe some people could have a pet dog but still buy a slice of dog from the butcher and cook it for dinner. I couldn't.

My rule is that once I have a friend among a particular species, I won't eat that species. But not every creature follows that rule. When I was a teenager, I had a dog that used to help me hunt rabbits but he was also friends with the pet rabbits my brother raised. One day my brother decided that one of his pet rabbits, a buck, wasn't impregnating the does so he decided to kill the rabbit and cut it up for the dinner table. My dog freaked out and acted quite afraid of my brother after that, as if he was afraid he'd be next. So I guess my dog thought it was okay to hunt wild rabbits but not to eat pet rabbits. Maybe some people could have a pet dog but still buy a slice of dog from the butcher and cook it for dinner. I couldn't.

Me neither. That goes for cats too. I love my cat, and spoil her terribly too. I even love the part Siamese little thug that my son has dumped on me...of course. :LOL:

I stopped going to the nearest Chinese restaurant near me because somebody told me they use them sometimes. It's probably a base slander, a sort of urban myth, but the very thought makes me so queasy that I just can't go in there!

That said, people did eat cats during the war...probably dog too...needs must, I suppose. I can't imagine doing it, though, although who knows what one would do if faced with starvation.

Sometimes when I read about how smart pigs are I do wonder whether I should be eating them. So far I have resisted the pangs of my conscience. :grin:

I tell myself that if pigs were really as smart as they're reputed to be, they'd find a way to make themselves less tasty. Flawed logic, but it's the only way I have to justify my love of bacon, ham and sausages.

I don't have the same concern about the intelligence of sheep or turkeys. Turkeys are probably the only multiple cell entities that are stupider than sheep.

This thread has been viewed 4378 times.

Back