Are Balkanites the purest Slavs?

JQP4545

Reaction score
It is often assumed that the true slavs are eastern slavs (Russians, Ukrainians, etc) and that Balkan slavs are mixed with the Illyrians and other native peoples. However, Ken Nordvedt's research shows that haplogroup I2a Dinaric is very young and likely expanded from the area just north of the Carpathians in the last 2,000 years. If this is true that would have to mean that most slavs who came to the Balkans were I2a carriers. This would have to mean that the original slavs would have been closely related to Slovenians and Hungarians. As you can see on this genetic map of Europe Balkan slavs are very close to Slovenians, Hungarians, and Czechs:

ancestor_map_x220.jpg

Find us a skeleton and DNA of original Slav and we can tell you.

I like this answer. But this may be a good place to repeat what I've previously read many times in this forum - haplotype does not necessarily tell us a lot about autosomal makeup. If we're looking at certain populations that were isolated for a long time and which produced some unique subclades, a particular subclade of a haplotype may tell us what the person's autosomal makeup is likely to be. But in a place like the Balkans, which has been a highway for all sorts of migrating groups, a person's haplotype or even subclade may not tell us much about their autosomal makeup.

Prague-Korchak cultural horizon (Southern Poland, West Ukraine, Slovakia,Czech Rep.)
is believed to be proto-Slavic culture(cultural horizon), so someone should test them.

Ken Nordtvedt is a great scientist but he is not historian.
"A historian is a person who studies and writes about the past and is regarded as an authority on it."(W)

Sloveni are linguistic group united by the bonds of language maybe more than others but that's due to different factors,perhaps stable in their linguistic zone but not necessarily bloodline and homeland,that's like asking are the Romanians or Spaniards the purest Romans or Romance speakers or are the Scandinavians the purest Germanics.

Who are the "purest" Americans? Weird questions.

It is often assumed that the true slavs are eastern slavs (Russians, Ukrainians, etc) and that Balkan slavs are mixed with the Illyrians and other native peoples. However, Ken Nordvedt's research shows that haplogroup I2a Dinaric is very young and likely expanded from the area just north of the Carpathians in the last 2,000 years. If this is true that would have to mean that most slavs who came to the Balkans were I2a carriers. This would have to mean that the original slavs would have been closely related to Slovenians and Hungarians. As you can see on this genetic map of Europe Balkan slavs are very close to Slovenians, Hungarians, and Czechs:

View attachment 7045

http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1001555

View attachment 7045

Slavs immigrated to the Balkans during the 6th to 9th centuries from eastern Poland and western Ukraine. So of course they would have some similarities to Hungarians, Czecks, and Slovaks but they mixed extensively and I doubt they would have been "pure Slavs." I have visited all of the countries in eastern Europe and found that the most "Slavic peoples" are the Slovakians, Poles, Belarussians, and Ukrainians. The Croatians and Hungarians look more Germanic. The Serbs and Bulgarians look very similar to Greeks or Albanians. So much for "pure Slavs."

This thread has been viewed 8068 times.

Back