Neurology New Evidence That Musical Training Helps the Brain

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
"According to a new Canadian study led by the Rotman Research Institute (RRI) at Baycrest Health Sciences, older adults who had musical training in their youth were 20% faster in identifying speech sounds than their non-musician peers on speech identification tests, a benefit that has already been observed in young people with musical training....The Rotman study found "robust" evidence that this brain benefit is maintained even in the older population."

The findings are published in The Journal of Neuroscience.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/150202132611.htm

That's the good news. The bad news is that you have to start before 14 and continue it for about ten years.:)

Seriously, I think that is one of the benefits of the American education system, at least in my area: all the children take music one period per day and either do choir or learn a musical instrument. Some do both. Over and above teaching them about music, I think it's excellent for fostering focus, concentration and perseverance.

"According to a new Canadian study led by the Rotman Research Institute (RRI) at Baycrest Health Sciences, older adults who had musical training in their youth were 20% faster in identifying speech sounds than their non-musician peers on speech identification tests, a benefit that has already been observed in young people with musical training....The Rotman study found "robust" evidence that this brain benefit is maintained even in the older population."

The findings are published in The Journal of Neuroscience.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/150202132611.htm

That's the good news. The bad news is that you have to start before 14 and continue it for about ten years.:)

Seriously, I think that is one of the benefits of the American education system, at least in my area: all the children take music one period per day and either do choir or learn a musical instrument. Some do both. Over and above teaching them about music, I think it's excellent for fostering focus, concentration and perseverance.

When I was a student, back in the Neolithic era, schools here in Canada, or at least here in Ontario, included music and art classes in the general curriculum but there has been a tendency recently to regard music and art as "frills" and to emphasize "more practical" courses instead. It's as if the people running the Department of Education have forgotten that elementary and secondary schools are intended to teach foundational skills rather than vocational skills. I suspect one reason this study was done was to find support for the idea that music training needs to be brought back to the core curriculum of all elementary and secondary schools, rather than being seen as something of use only to those who want to pursue a musical career.

Some study also show that learning any second language increases fitness our our brain too. It wasn't just a small statistical evenement, but rather robust 7 years delay in showing symptoms of Alzheimer, in people who spoke a second language compared to people who commended just one.

Some study also show that learning any second language increases fitness our our brain too. It wasn't just a small statistical evenement, but rather robust 7 years delay in showing symptoms of Alzheimer, in people who spoke a second language compared to people who commended just one.

Yes, I've read stuff about the value of learning language as well. I think if people were given a classical education in primary and secondary school, with language courses, classes in art and music, literature and history and a basic grounding in mathematics and science, they would be equipped to learn whatever they needed to learn after secondary school and would have a broad understanding of the world that would be much more helpful than trying to get them to learn a specific vocation at too young an age. And their brains would survive better as they get older. If people are forced to specialize too soon, they probably won't do as well even in the area they specialize in, compared to someone who's first given a broad general eduation.

Sure I read an article in online it was written by one of the famous doctor. In that he said hearing music is the best training for Brian.

This thread has been viewed 4289 times.

Back