Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
This is the link to the study in Science Magazine:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/03/150304152659.htm
"Excavation reveals ancient town and burial complex in Diros Bay, Greece."

The Bronze Age(?) burial is part of a larger Neolithic complex.
" In addition to the Neolithic 'spooning' couple that has been highlighted in recent news articles, the team also uncovered several other burials and the remains of an ancient village that suggest the bay was an important center in ancient times."

"Although Alepotrypa Cave was used for domestic and ritual uses throughout the Neolithic period (ca. 6300-3000 BC), radiocarbon dates indicate that the site of Ksagounaki was used during the Final Neolithic period, 4200-3800 BC."

"The Field Museum's Dr. William Parkinson explains that perhaps the most surprising discovery was a Mycenaean-period burial structure, filled with the disarticulated bones of dozens of individuals accompanied by Late Bronze Age painted pottery, exotic stone beads, ivory, and a Mycenaean dagger made of bronze. Parkinson and his team have suggested that the megalithic buildings at Ksagounaki, constructed during the Neolithic Age, may have attracted the attention of Mycenaeans over 2,000 years after they were abandoned."

There will of course be the usual questions as to actual attribution, i.e. is it really a Mycenean site, which I can't even begin to judge until we see the paper, but if it is, somebody from the Reich Lab should run and get some bones. :)

Lots of people are making lots of claims based on the Haak and Lazaridis paper, claims the authors didn't make by the way. One of the things they did say was that this movement of people from the East may explain some of the spread of some of the Indo-European languages. The autosomal make-up of the Mycenaeans might help to answer some of those questions.

I have wrote about that,

I know William Parkinson made genetcal tests, and the work Diros project ended at 2014,
but still I have not found any results, or not published,

there are hundrends of bones and skeletons there starting from pre-Mycenan ages 3500 BC 5,5 ky from today

the other searchers like Papathanasopoulos found clearly 3000 BC
but the new discoveries seems to go to 3800 BC and older

!) interesting is the chronology of pottery

2 the bone keepers , tombs

seems like the circular tombs with stones existed before 3000 in Greece,

diros-zevgari-anakalipsi2.jpg

that could mean many to searches cause cubic tombs with circular tombs are tottaly different cultures

there are layers and areas where bones were placed in 'slots' of the rock, like a primitive catacomb system,

This thread has been viewed 2853 times.

Back