further continuation of Haak paper 2015

Thanks for posting. Including at least the abstract would be nice instead of just posting a raw link, so we know what it's about. This paper reviews particular genes related to the physical traits and adaptation to the environment, including eye colour, skin pigmentation, hair thickness, vitamin D levels, immune system, body height, lactase peristence and lipid levels (influencing BMI and obesity risk).

Abstract

The arrival of farming in Europe beginning around 8,500 years 1 ago required adaptation to new environments, pathogens, diets, and social organizations. While evidence of natural selection can be revealed by studying patterns of genetic variation in present-day people1-6, these pattern are only indirect echoes of past events, and provide little information about where and when selection occurred. Ancient DNA makes it possible to examine populations as they were before, during and after adaptation events, and thus to reveal the tempo and mode of selection7,8. Here we report thefirst genome-wide scan for selection using ancient DNA, based on 83 human samples from Holocene Europe analyzed at over 300,000 positions. We find five genome-wide signals of selection, at loci associated with diet and pigmentation. Surprisingly in light of suggestions of selection on immune traits associated with the advent of agriculture and denser living conditions, we find no strong sweeps associated with immunological phenotypes. We also report a scan for selection for complex traits, and find two signals of selection on height: for short stature in Iberia after the arrival of agriculture, and for tall stature on the Pontic-Caspian steppe earlier than 5,000 years ago. A surprise is that in Scandinavian hunter-gatherers living around 8,000 years ago, there is a high frequency of the derived allele at the EDAR gene that is the strongest known signal of selection in East Asians and that is thought to have arisen in East Asia. These results document the power of ancient DNA to reveal features of past adaptation that could not be understood from analyses of present-day people.

Here are some of the genes and alleles studied. I have inserted the links to SNPedia for easy reference. Note that rs7940244 wasn't on SNPedia, but I found a proxy in the same gene.

HERC2 (rs12913832 - eye color)
SLC24A5 (rs1426654 - skin pigmentation)
SLC45A2 (rs16891982 - skin pigmentation)
LCT (rs4988235 - lactase peristence)
NADSYN1 (rs7940244 - vitamin D levels)
FADS1 (rs174546 - LDL cholesterol levels)
EDAR (rs3827760 - hair thickness)
TLR6 (rs7661887 - immune system)

All of them are tested by 23andMe and some by FTDNA's Family Finder too.

This graph shows the evolution of the various alleles.

Mathieson-2015-graph.png

The alleles for fair skin are in blue and green. Mesolithic Europeans had dark skin (only a few samples derived for SLC24A5). Neolithic farmers were usually derived for SLC24A5, while Steppe people were derived for both SLC24A5 and SLC45A2.

Blue eyes were very common among Mesolithic Europeans, while Neolithic farmers and Yamna people had mixed eye colours.

Lactase persistence only starting taking off in the Chalcolithic, but underwent a very strong positive selection since then.

Lipid levels constantly increased over time, as if food became progressively scarcer as the population grew.

The gene for vitamin D production has oscillated over time, but it looks like the recent selection has been against increased vitamin D production, probably because people got their vit. D from milk and drank more milk as they became lactose tolerant.

Attachments

• Mathieson-2015-graph.jpg
    Mathieson-2015-graph.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Don't mean to come off as arrogant Maciamo. I just want to let you know that Geneticker tested the Haak genomes for many pigmentation SNPs, which revealed alot of new info. Here's a link to his analysis and below are two threads I made about them. The most surprising result to me is that Mesolithic Swedes and Russians had markers for light skin along with every hair color, which didn't seem possible because of results from Mesolithic west Europe.

Red hair existed in pre-historic Europe
Mesolithic source of Pale pigmentation in modern Europe?

The alleles for fair skin are in blue and green. Mesolithic Europeans had dark skin. Neolithic farmers brought one of the two alleles (SLC24A5), while Steppe people brought both alleles.

Most Mesolithic Swedes and the two Mesolithic Russians had a derived alleles in rs1426654 and Rs16891982. The vast majority but not all Neolithic farmers have two derived alleles in rs1426654, and very few have 1 or 2 derived alleles in rs16891982. All Yamna samples have two derived alleles in rs1426654, and only a few have a derived allele in rs16891982(consistent with Wilde. 2014).

Most Bronze age samples from central Europe and Siberia(Andronovo, etc.) have a derived allele in rs16891982. Although not at modern frequencies.

Blue eyes were very common among Mesolithic Europeans, but not Neolithic farmers. Yamna people had mixed eye colours.

12/13 Mesolithic Europeans have GG in Rs12913832. The only one that doesn't is Karelia_HG who had AA. 50% of LBK_EN have GG in rs12913832, a good amount of Neolithic Hungarians did, and Gok2 a Neolithic Swede did. Alot of EEF would have had blue eyes, except maybe in Spain were almost all samples have AA. Yamna was much darker eyed(~90%) than Neolithic central Europeans.

All Bell beaker and Corded ware individuals tested have at least one A allele in that SNP. I'm pretty sure all the Late Neolithic Germans actually had an A allele. Most Unetice samples have GG and the Urnfield guy had GG.

Don't mean to come off as arrogant Maciamo. I just want to let you know that Geneticker tested the Haak genomes for many pigmentation SNPs, which revealed alot of new info. Here's a link to his analysis and below are two threads I made about them. The most surprising result to me is that Mesolithic Swedes and Russians had markers for light skin along with every hair color, which didn't seem possible because of results from Mesolithic west Europe.

Red hair existed in pre-historic Europe
Mesolithic source of Pale pigmentation in modern Europe?

Most Mesolithic Swedes and the two Mesolithic Russians had a derived alleles in rs1426654 and Rs16891982. The vast majority but not all Neolithic farmers have two derived alleles in rs1426654, and very few have 1 or 2 derived alleles in rs16891982. All Yamna samples have two derived alleles in rs1426654, and only a few have a derived allele in rs16891982(consistent with Wilde. 2014).

Most Bronze age samples from central Europe and Siberia(Andronovo, etc.) have a derived allele in rs16891982. Although not at modern frequencies.

12/13 Mesolithic Europeans have GG in Rs12913832. The only one that doesn't is Karelia_HG who had AA. 50% of LBK_EN have GG in rs12913832, a good amount of Neolithic Hungarians did, and Gok2 a Neolithic Swede did. Alot of EEF would have had blue eyes, except maybe in Spain were almost all samples have AA. Yamna was much darker eyed(~90%) than Neolithic central Europeans.

All Bell beaker and Corded ware individuals tested have at least one A allele in that SNP. I'm pretty sure all the Late Neolithic Germans actually had an A allele. Most Unetice samples have GG and the Urnfield guy had GG.

Thanks for the extra details. I was just explaining the graph from this paper though.

@fire

So 50% of LBK_EN ..................you know there are 12 samples of LBK_EN from Germany alone.................I counted 9 of the 12 had blue or green eyes

The results for the depigmentation snps mirror those found in Genetiker's analysis.

Not to belabor the point, but Yamnaya Indo-Europeans were not significantly derived for SLC42A5, and did not possess significant levels of the "blue-eyed" gene. So, it's highly unlikely that this particular group, the Samara Indo-Europeans, brought depigmentation genes to Europe. We'll have to see what surprises the results of other groups in the Horizon might hold for us.

The authors do not opine to any great degree about the source of these snps, which is understandable given Patterson's recent comment on another blog about how the "source" of certain mutations may be very difficult to ascertain, given that it may no longer even exist in the areas where it arose.

They do say, however, that:
Reich group on pigmentation.JPG

I agree with what I think is their conclusion about SLC24A5, that it might very well have existed in the farmers even before they got to Europe, which would tie in very nicely with the results of the studies which showed a starburst radiation out of the Caucasus. SLC42A5 is more problematic. In the excerpt above, they mention that SLC42A5 was present in the Early Neolithic, but from another part of the paper it is clear that it also existed near contemporaneously with the SHG. I don't know of any likely migration path from SHG to early Neolithic farmers or vice versa, so perhaps it arose in some more eastern group (given the western hunter-gatherers had so few depigmentation alleles of any kind) in a place which could feed into both populations? I remember doing some research on the Motala group at one point, and discovering that they were new to the area. I must have stupidly tagged it incorrectly, because I can't find it in my files. Does anyone know anything about that? I also wonder if it's associated with more "ANE" type populations?

In connection to Motala, it's very interesting indeed that 4/7 Motala samples are derived for the Asian EDAR mutations, which according to the authors indicates "gene flow between the ancestors of the Scandinavian Hunter-Gatherers and the Han."

Having said all that, the focus of the paper seems to me to be not on the source for any of the snps, but on the very recent selection that has gone on in evolutionary terms around a very small number of snps. I think that the authors tried to point out that their analysis shows these changes aren't all because of different migration patterns.

Lactase persistence shows the strongest markers of selection, and it wasn't present in the Yamnaya or the EHG or the SHG or the WHG or the EEF. It first appears in a Bell Beaker sample. I wonder, given the "western" cast of Bell Beaker, if it has something to do with Atlantic Europe? Surprising that despite the fact that they practiced pastoralism, the Yamnaya Indo-Europeans didn't have it, and neither did the EHG. Maybe it might show up in other Indo-European groups? I tend to doubt it, on balance, because this group has lots of samples from the Yamnaya horizon, and I don't think they would have worded this paper in the way they did if it is present on the steppe, but who knows?

Also very interesting that the derived FADSI snp for decreased trigliceride levels was under selection in the Neolithic...very important if you're eating a high starch diet. Likewise, that in central European LN/Early Bronze there begins to be some selection for higher BMI levels, a selection present in CEU, which could stand for British Isles/North Sea, I think. (A Mormon who used to post on 23andm enlightened all of us about the conversions in Denmark etc and how that impacted Mormon genetics.)

Any ideas from anybody why higher body fat percentages compared to lean muscle mass would suddenly be more advantageous at that time and in that environment? Or am I misunderstanding something?

I also wonder how the selection for shorter height that shows up in the Iberian Neolithic factors into all of this.

The mutations involved with circulating Vitamin D are the ones who have the most up and down movement. Any ideas? I don't think it could have been that they didn't need them because they were drinking more milk, because there isn't much Vitamin D in milk, is there? That's why it has to be fortified?

Another interesting selection pattern is the de-selection for blue eyes that the authors maintain has been going on in southern Europe. (and other places no doubt) It must have something to do with annual UV radiation levels or something, yes? I have no idea what makes blue eyes so particularly disadvantageous in more southerly climates. Certainly, a lot of southern Europeans are homozygous for both skin depigmentation alleles. Does anyone know of any good research on this?

HERC2 (rs12913832 - eye color)
SLC24A5 (rs1426654 - skin pigmentation)
SLC45A2 (rs16891982 - skin pigmentation)
LCT (rs4988235 - lactase peristence)
NADSYN1 (rs7940244 - vitamin D levels)
FADS1 (rs174546 - LDL cholesterol levels)
EDAR (rs3827760 - hair thickness)
TLR6 (rs7661887 - immune system)

Mathieson-2015-graph.png
Thanks for short explanation. I can't find enough time these days to read whole papers.

Lipid levels constantly increased over time, as if food became progressively scarcer as the population grew.
This could be tricky to explain. Lipids are involved in many mechanisms in our body from cell membrane, anti inflammatory function, to energy production. LDL by itself is not that bad and obviously plays a positive role in our bodies. The important is ratio between LDL and HDL to keep people healthy. The imbalance between these 2 causes maladies.

The gene for vitamin D production has oscillated over time, but it looks like the recent selection has been against increased vitamin D production, probably because people got their vit. D from milk and drank more milk as they became lactose tolerant.
European population got lighter with time, so perhaps NADSYN1 is not that important now and evolution doesn't care to select it anymore.

The results for the depigmentation snps mirror those found in Genetiker's analysis.

Not to belabor the point, but Yamnaya Indo-Europeans were not significantly derived for SLC42A5, and did not possess significant levels of the "blue-eyed" gene. So, it's highly unlikely that this particular group, the Samara Indo-Europeans, brought depigmentation genes to Europe. We'll have to see what surprises the results of other groups in the Horizon might hold for us.

I admit that I only browsed quickly (10 minutes) through the paper before posting the summary above. I didn't have time to read Genetiker's analysis yet.

Lactase persistence shows the strongest markers of selection, and it wasn't present in the Yamnaya or the EHG or the SHG or the WHG or the EEF. It first appears in a Bell Beaker sample. I wonder, given the "western" cast of Bell Beaker, if it has something to do with Atlantic Europe? Surprising that despite the fact that they practiced pastoralism, the Yamnaya Indo-Europeans didn't have it, and neither did the EHG. Maybe it might show up in other Indo-European groups? I tend to doubt it, on balance, because this group has lots of samples from the Yamnaya horizon, and I don't think they would have worded this paper in the way they did if it is present on the steppe, but who knows?

I really don't see why lactase persistence would have been positively selected in a society like that of the Megalithic people. As for Atlantic people bringing genes to Central Europe, I have said for a while that the Bell Beaker was not a group of people, but just a trade network. The people who lived during the Bell Beaker period in Germany were in all likelihood descended mostly from LBK-related cultures, not new migrants from Iberia or other parts of Atlantic Europe. The new genes came the PIE Steppe people whose R1b-M269 lineage was identified in the few BB samples tested. These people were clearly first or second generation hybrids of two distinct populations: Neolithic Germans (descended from LBK, Rössen, etc.), and the newly arrived Yamna descendants.

It is more logical that the LP allele was positively selected among people who were almost exclusively cattle pastoralists like Yamna people, then cereal farmers of Neolithic Europe. It is true that the Funnelbeaker people of Germany and Scandinavia also raised cattle (as well as sheep, pigs and goats), but selection pressures for digesting lactose would have been much weaker than in the steppe, where cereals weren't a main source of sugar.

What we can say with certainty is that today lactase persistence is present mostly among western Europeans and Scandinavians (all R1b countries), with the highest percentages observed in the British Isles, the Netherlands, Denmark and southern Sweden. The fact that the Irish and the Scots have similarly high percentages as Scandinavians, and higher than the Germans, suggests that the lactase persistence allele really was spread by R1b people, and not by the Neolithic population of Germany or Scandinavia.

It is possible that the mutation arose somewhere in Central Europe and was "picked up" by R1b tribes on their way to the British Isles. It did not necessarily enter the R1b population in the western steppe.Looking at the distribution map of the 13910*T allele (figure (b) below) associated with LP in Europeans, it is amazing to see just how closely it mirrors the distribution of R1b lineages, and not just R1b-M269, but even R1b-V88 in Africa (Maghreb, northern Cameroon). Note especially the distrbution of the 13910*T allele in Eastern Europe, Central Asia and India, which, just like R1b, is present but at low frequency. West Africans, East Africans, Arabs and Mongols all have different mutations conferring LP. If the 13910*T allele had arisen in Mesolithic or Neolithic Europeans, it wouldn't be found in northern Cameroon or India today. If it had originated in the Near East, it would still be found there. The only light blue dot on the map is in northern Mesopotamia, close to where I think cattle were domesticated by R1b people.

F1.medium.gif

Also very interesting that the derived FADSI snp for decreased trigliceride levels was under selection in the Neolithic...very important if you're eating a high starch diet. Likewise, that in central European LN/Early Bronze there begins to be some selection for higher BMI levels, a selection present in CEU, which could stand for British Isles/North Sea, I think. (A Mormon who used to post on 23andm enlightened all of us about the conversions in Denmark etc and how that impacted Mormon genetics.)

Any ideas from anybody why higher body fat percentages compared to lean muscle mass would suddenly be more advantageous at that time and in that environment? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Too low levels of LDL cholesterol have been associated with increased anxiety and depression. Perhaps those alleles were just selected for the positive psychological benefits associated with higher cholesterol. Ancient people didn't know that cholesterol was bad for the heart. They didn't even know what was cholesterol was. What happened is that the more joyful people had more children, even if that meant a selection for higher cholesterol levels.

The mutations involved with circulating Vitamin D are the ones who have the most up and down movement. Any ideas? I don't think it could have been that they didn't need them because they were drinking more milk, because there isn't much Vitamin D in milk, is there? That's why it has to be fortified?

The common foods with the highest vitamin D contents are oily fish, dairy products, pork and eggs. German and Scandinavian HG ate a lot of fish. Yamna people were probably the first to consume large quantities of dairy products. Neolithic Europeans ate pork. Chickens and eggs only came later, during the Iron Age. As all these came together and formed a more diversified and nutritional diet, the need for vitamin D decreased. I think that it is especially since the Middle Ages that Europeans started to consume cheese, butter, milk, eggs and their derivatives (crêpes/pancakes, waffles, cakes) on a regular basis.

Another factor was the increasing selection for fairer skin, as demonstrated by the sharp rise in SLC45A2 derive alleles since the Bronze Age, and surely also for MC1R mutations for red hair, freckles and very pale skin in Northwest Europe.

Another interesting selection pattern is the de-selection for blue eyes that the authors maintain has been going on in southern Europe. (and other places no doubt) It must have something to do with annual UV radiation levels or something, yes? I have no idea what makes blue eyes so particularly disadvantageous in more southerly climates. Certainly, a lot of southern Europeans are homozygous for both skin depigmentation alleles. Does anyone know of any good research on this?

I have noticed among my relatives and friends that people with blue eyes (like me) are more sensitive to strong sunlight, but see better in the dark. I have noticed when I lived in Japan that Japanese people, who don't have any allele for blue eyes, see considerably less well in the dark than I do. On the other hand every time I go out in strong sunlight my eyes cry from the irritation.

I can't easily imagine why blue eyed people would have less children in hot countries (it doesn't affect their survival or fertility), but it makes sense that darker eyes are better suited to strong sunlight (just like for hair and skin).

Frequencies of HERC2 (rs12913832 - eye color) among Europeans

Frequencies of Allele G for blue eyes.

Whites from Utah: 77%
Brits: 82%
Finns: 91%
North Italians from Verona: 53%
Tuscans: 42%
Spaniards: 32%

Source: ALFRED alleles and 1000genomes.

What we can say with certainty is that today lactase persistence is present mostly among western Europeans and Scandinavians (all R1b countries), with the highest percentages observed in the British Isles, the Netherlands, Denmark and southern Sweden. The fact that the Irish and the Scots have similarly high percentages as Scandinavians, and higher than the Germans, suggests that the lactase persistence allele really was spread by R1b people, and not by the Neolithic population of Germany or Scandinavia.

It is possible that the mutation arose somewhere in Central Europe and was "picked up" by R1b tribes on their way to the British Isles. It did not necessarily enter the R1b population in the western steppe.Looking at the distribution map of the 13910*T allele (figure (b) below) associated with LP in Europeans, it is amazing to see just how closely it mirrors the distribution of R1b lineages, and not just R1b-M269, but even R1b-V88 in Africa (Maghreb, northern Cameroon). Note especially the distrbution of the 13910*T allele in Eastern Europe, Central Asia and India, which, just like R1b, is present but at low frequency. West Africans, East Africans, Arabs and Mongols all have different mutations conferring LP. If the 13910*T allele had arisen in Mesolithic or Neolithic Europeans, it wouldn't be found in northern Cameroon or India today. If it had originated in the Near East, it would still be found there. The only light blue dot on the map is in northern Mesopotamia, close to where I think cattle were domesticated by R1b people.

F1.medium.gif

If lactose persistence arose in R1b we would find it in Spain, and the R1b V88 distribution in Africa doesn't match the lactose persistence distribution in Africa.

The best explanation is lactose persistence spreading with Germanic migrations and their milk drinking culture around 500 BC. Milk consumption is highest in Sweden. This seems really rather obvious.

If lactose persistence arose in R1b we would find it in Spain, and the R1b V88 distribution in Africa doesn't match the lactose persistence distribution in Africa.

The best explanation is lactose persistence spreading with Germanic migrations and their milk drinking culture around 500 BC. Milk consumption is highest in Sweden. This seems really rather obvious.

Not necessarily. R1b-V88 in Spain travelled a very long way through Africa. It is Middle Neolithic. As the autosomal data shows the Spanish R1b-V88 sample has been thoroughly admixed with other Neolithic populations, so that hardly any of the original autosomal DNA remained. Therefore it's not surprising that this single mutation was lost along the way. In fact it would be utterly surprising if it was still there at all.

Lactase persistance in Southern Europe.

Only regionalized data.

Greek Cretan: 44%
Continental Greek: 55%
Neapolitan: 46%
North Italian: 49%
Sardinian: 14%
Sicilian: 29%
Greek Cypriot: 34%
Galician: 66%

It looks like there is a correlation with both Indo European and especially Celto Germanic ancestry.

They also have the lowest level of Indo-European autosomal DNA (virtually no Gedrosian or East European). That makes perfect sense if the LP allele was spread by teh Indo-Europeans.

Lactase persistance first apparead in the Bell Beaker culture 4300 years BP.

Euclidean distance in Bell Beaker.

S Dutch 7.3315543
French 7.4857465
SWEnglish 8.9121658
SEEnglish 10.143397
WGerman 11.279248

S Dutch 14.150768
French 15.658902
Hinxton4 15.728522
NGerman 16.217733
SWEnglish 16.906883

S Dutch 8.9668085
NGerman 11.094324
SWEnglish 11.309889
French 11.593037
WGerman 12.447302

-----------------------------------------------------------

Icelandic 6.1312678
Danish 6.5065283
SWEnglish 7.0875454
SEEnglish 7.206171
N Dutch 7.4365277

Hinxton4 10.710051
NGerman 10.858956
N Dutch 11.577781
Danish 11.739996
Irish 11.760162

Danish 10.41551
Icelandic 10.640087
NGerman 11.053448
N Dutch 11.232878
W Nor 11.378201

NGerman 8.7288958
Danish 10.808824
N Dutch 11.56526
S Dutch 11.621216
WGerman 12.408666

Not necessarily. R1b-V88 in Spain travelled a very long way through Africa. It is Middle Neolithic. As the autosomal data shows the Spanish R1b-V88 sample has been thoroughly admixed with other Neolithic populations, so that hardly any of the original autosomal DNA remained. Therefore it's not surprising that this single mutation was lost along the way. In fact it would be utterly surprising if it was still there at all.
Well, R1b-V88 in Africa matches properly when looking at different maps of lactose persistence. So we may just need better maps. Fairly obvious that the trait must have been rare among early Celts.

Looking at different maps I see a solid connection with R1a assuming LP in India finds its origin there.

Scandinavia is definitely the location where selection for the trait was the strongest.

Well, R1b-V88 in Africa matches properly when looking at different maps of lactose persistence. So we may just need better maps. Fairly obvious that the trait must have been rare among early Celts.

Looking at different maps I see a solid connection with R1a assuming LP in India finds its origin there.

Scandinavia is definitely the location where selection for the trait was the strongest.

Granted, the LP allele had a low frequency during the Neolithic and Early Bronze Age, which is why most Yamna samples are negative (all those tested to date, but I surely expect others will be derived for LP), and also why African R1b populations have very low LP frequencies. The strong positive selected for the LP allele must have taken place progressively in the last 4000 years in Europe. The fact that Iberians have considerably lower LP frequencies than northern Europeans suggests that the LP selection was not yet half way in the first millennium BCE (Hallstatt period) when Celts migrated in large number to Iberia. I don't expect that frequencies above 80% were achieved in northern Europe before the late Middle Ages.

Frequencies of SLC45A2 (rs16891982 - skin pigmentation) among Europeans

Frequencies of Allele G for light skin.

Whites from Utah: 98%
Brits: 98%
Finns: 96%
North Italians from Verona: 94%
Tuscans: 97%
Spaniards: 82%

Source: ALFRED alleles and 1000genomes.

Granted, the LP allele had a low frequency during the Neolithic and Early Bronze Age, which is why most Yamna samples are negative (all those tested to date, but I surely expect others will be derived for LP), and also why African R1b populations have very low LP frequencies. The strong positive selected for the LP allele must have taken place progressively in the last 4000 years in Europe. The fact that Iberians have considerably lower LP frequencies than northern Europeans suggests that the LP selection was not yet half way in the first millennium BCE (Hallstatt period) when Celts migrated in large number to Iberia. I don't expect that frequencies above 80% were achieved in northern Europe before the late Middle Ages.

It's more likely that R1b-DF27 arrived in Iberia from Italy, rather than from Central Europe.

The highest diversity of R1b-P312 is in Italy.

Early_R1b_Copper_Age_Migrations_v02.png

Didn't they find Tuscan like farmers in Iberia lately?

It looks like modern Iberians are mostly a mix of Sardinian/Tuscan like neolitich/copper age farmers and local Mesolitich hunther gatherers, who had already elevated levels of ANE admixture.

It's more likely that R1b-DF27 arrived in Iberia from Italy, rather than from Central Europe.

The highest diversity of R1b-P312 is in Italy.

Early_R1b_Copper_Age_Migrations_v02.png

Didn't they find Tuscan like farmers in Iberia lately?

It looks like modern Iberians are mostly a mix of Sardinian/Tuscan like neolitich/copper age farmers and local Mesolitich hunther gatherers, who had already elevated levels of ANE admixture.

Keep in mind that there is very little genetic data from France at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if P312 had a higher genetic diversity in France. The Alps are difficult to cross, so P312 more likely went straight from Germany to France (no natural border except the Rhine).

This thread has been viewed 21120 times.

Back