Has current day style advertising become much less effective?

Advertising, How does it affect you?

• Current advertising is cool and effective

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I can live without it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Maleth

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
EV13 A7136 y18675G+
mtDNA haplogroup
H
I guess we are all familiar with all the types of advertising the type that literally 'bombard' us every day to the point of madness through Junk mail, TV (non stop) Driving round on Bill boards, spam on phones, Calls on land lines, browsing through the internet, E-mails. Have we come to a point were people most of the times are ignoring it all and just treating it as another part of the scenery taken for granted (in this case for sanity purposes).

Personally if I am buying something or need a service, I first check out whats available and then make some reliable research on what people have to say about it and compare value for what you get. I only do it if I get interested and not because I simply see and ad somewhere.

Is the current system of advertising obsolete? need to be adjusted? or a sheer necessity in the world of promoting goods and services?

Whats your opinion?

Personally if I am buying something or need a service, I first check out whats available and then make some reliable research on what people have to say about it and compare value for what you get. I only do it if I get interested and not because I simply see and ad somewhere.
?
I'm exactly the same. I was always blind for content of an advertising, and find them nothing but annoying during watching programs.

I think we're reaching saturation level, which means that it takes more and more ingenuity and creativity to cut through the clutter, the venue has to be carefully chosen, and it all has to be backed up with the proper sales techniques on the ground level, not to mention a good product.

You can see this at work in the ads that appear during the "Super Bowl" of American football.

This article is very informative: "Yes, A Super Bowl Ad Really Is Worth 4 Million".
http://www.forbes.com/sites/onmarketing/2014/01/29/yes-a-super-bowl-ad-really-is-worth-4-million/

The author, who knows whereof he speaks, even if he has, as he says, "some skin in the game", makes some very good points.

"In 2012 and 2013, we created Super Bowl spots that helped introduce a new line of performance running shoes for Skechers. These spots worked in combination with a PR push, a social media effort, theme-related window displays, and in-store materials. The fun, engaging 30-second spots ranked among the highest in consumer likability polls, and they were featured on shows ranging from Good Morning America and The Colbert Report to The Tonight Show. The spots were also replayed in their entirety on over 200 news stations across the country, were reported on by hundreds of newspapers, were shown and written about on hundreds of blogs, discussed on the radio, and received millions of YouTube hits. The value of the PR garnered from these spots easily quadrupled the actual Super Bowl media cost.

But advertising and PR buzz is worthless if it doesn’t lead to sales. So what has happened with Skechers sales since that Super Bowl effort in February of 2012? Well, over the past two years Skechers has increased its sales by an average of 26% and its stock price hit the point of tripling. Meanwhile, its performance shoe division was recently named “Brand of the Year” by the footwear industry’s largest trade magazine.

Can all of this success be attributed to the Super Bowl? No. Skechers has made a number of excellent moves during this period and they have really good products. But there’s no denying that having the right Super Bowl advertising effort served as a lightening rod for the entire Skechers brand."

This is the ad in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61nKoj7VzRk

These are the two Audi ads which also generated not only plaudits for creativity, but were tied to increased sales:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuScbFkxd6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDV2yp_AjBM

None of them would motivate me, but then it's a numbers game...they do motivate lots of people.

An interesting side note....50% of the audience for the Superbowl apparently tunes in just to watch the commercials. Not me, I assure you....:grin:

I think we're reaching saturation level, which means that it takes more and more ingenuity and creativity to cut through the clutter, the venue has to be carefully chosen, and it all has to be backed up with the proper sales techniques on the ground level, not to mention a good product.

Totally agree, also I have to admit that some adverts these days are quite appealing...as in entertaining to watch (like the ones of Super Bowl). However personally speaking (although facts and figures may prove me wrong) I would not be influenced by buying something even with the coolest ad around.

Locally as a smaller community and people really enjoy talking and chatting as a national past time it seems that the best sold products are those that are recommended by word of mouth from those perceived as trustworthy sources. Peer pressure has alot to do with it......as in 'my son and daughter needs to be wearing an 'X' T shirt with a grand cool ad to go with it for all to repeat the buzz words in front of other Kids, to look the best even it costs 4 times as much as some other that would probably look and serve just as good. So there are physiological factors that go hand in hand with the marketing system exploiting a particular psyche to the full. Just my opinion of course

Totally agree, also I have to admit that some adverts these days are quite appealing...as in entertaining to watch (like the ones of Super Bowl). However personally speaking (although facts and figures may prove me wrong) I would not be influenced by buying something even with the coolest ad around.

Locally as a smaller community and people really enjoy talking and chatting as a national past time it seems that the :grin:best sold products are those that are recommended by word of mouth from those perceived as trustworthy sources. Peer pressure has alot to do with it......as in 'my son and daughter needs to be wearing an 'X' T shirt with a grand cool ad to go with it for all to repeat the buzz words in front of other Kids, to look the best even it costs 4 times as much as some other that would probably look and serve just as good. So there are physiological factors that go hand in hand with the marketing system exploiting a particular psyche to the full. Just my opinion of course

I agree. "Word of mouth" is the most powerful "advertising" of all. Also, the most entertaining ad in the world isn't going to move a product if it doesn't deliver, because negative "word of mouth" will also spread.

I also like to think that I'm not very much moved by any of these ads, but then I also like to think that I'm a pretty strong minded character.:) Some of this effect is, however, subliminal. In the interests of full disclosure, my first job out of university was in a big Park Avenue ad agency. Yes, just like in "Mad Men", although, alas, none of the men with whom I worked were as handsome as Jon Hamm. :grin: There is a tremendous amount of research on the subject. There's a reason that beautiful girls are usually involved in car commercials. You may not credit it, but pushing certain "sexual buttons" even goes into the design of certain products. Sex sells.

I don't know whether you ever saw this commercial, for example:

Or this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLOM-zGf-6I

They work, for better or for worse.

Ed. It was very challenging work, and I liked many aspects of it, but for all that it's important to keep the economy humming and factories on line and people working, it wasn't for me long term. I wanted to save the world. That didn't work out so well either, but I tried.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 4123 times.

Back