Blood Test May Help Identify Those At Risk From Fragile X Related Disorders.

hope

Elite member
Reaction score
Fragile X Syndrome is a genetic condition which affects approximately 1 in 4000 males and 1 in 6000 females. It is caused by a mutation on the X chromosome and is the most common known cause of inherited learning disabilities.

Apparently however, more common are Fragile X carriers of a lesser change in the Fragile X gene, called a premutation. This occurs in 1 in 450 males and 1 in 150 females. Whilst those carrying this premutation have no learning disabilities, some can, over time, develop social anxiety and depression.
A new study looked at 70 women, 35 with the premutation and 35 without it. After tests regarding brain`s executive functioning skills and rating themselves on a scale for anxiety and depression the group gave blood samples to measure the amount of methylation in the Fragile X gene.
The research found that those women with the premutation who had high meythlation levels were more likely to have depression, social anxiety and problems with brain executive functioning skills.
It is hoped the exercise will help in future in identifying those with the premutation who may be at risk of developing problems, so helping to begin early treatment.
Of course this is my condensed version, so if interested have a look at the link. And sorry no, there is no paper with a fuller description regarding the study at present AFAIK.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/03/150326110858.htm

Last edited:
Any news on how can we decrease or increase methylation, or anything to control it even in a rough way. Not that I would change my methylation, unless we're talking about alcohol. Should I say ethylation?. ;)

Any news on how can we decrease or increase methylation, or anything to control it even in a rough way. Not that I would change my methylation, unless we're talking about alcohol. Should I say ethylation?. ;)
I`ve heard you speak about methylation LeBrok, so I know you already know just how important it is...being that it is responsible for almost everything that goes on in our bodies. It is a vital metabolic process.
I know some people can be under-methylated and some over-methylated and in each of these, certain conditions can arise because of it. There is a good deal regarding the fine detail online.
It appears diet and supplements, [folate, B12, methionine ]may be useful in some cases..although different supplements for each. However I think a good diet and healthy lifestyle might probably be enough for most of us.
It doesn`t say alcohol is a supplement for either...sorry...:LOL:

It doesn`t say alcohol is a supplement for either...sorry...:LOL:

Perhaps not, but from a technical point of view, alcohol is a solution.

This thread has been viewed 5133 times.

Back