P109+ and new member introduction

CorkSmith

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
P109
I just received my 23andMe initial results and raw data a few days ago and I learned I was L22+ P109+. My paternal great-great-grandfather was an immigrant from Cork, Ireland to the US, so I was expecting to receive confirmation of Celtic lineage. This haplogroup was not expected at all. I plan to dig deeper with FTDNA, but in the meantime, is there anything more I can do with my 23andMe raw data to see what subgroup with P109 I might fall under? Would I need STR data rather than the SNP that 23andme provides?

Thank you very much.

Are you meaning haplogroup I1? As a 23andme customer myself I doubt there is anything else you can do on 23andme besides aDna transfers to gedmatch.
Welcome to the forums btw :) To find out more info on your haplogroups, here is the link. http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_I1_Y-DNA.shtml

It loks like accoding to your Polygenetic tree, you are a direct decendant od Scandinavian Vikings who somehow settled in Ireland and blended in with Gealic Culture :)

Are you meaning haplogroup I1? As a 23andme customer myself I doubt there is anything else you can do on 23andme besides aDna transfers to gedmatch.
Welcome to the forums btw :) To find out more info on your haplogroups, here is the link.

I plugged my 23andme raw data into some other applications and viewed my Y-SNPs. 23andme just said "I1" but I was able to find P109+ with the third-party apps. I've reviewed the link you just gave and was going to refer to it in my original post but I don't have a high enough post count to post links. (in fact, I had to edit the link out of your quote) Thank you for the welcome! I am really excited to get started with genetic geneology.

I've already plugged into gedmatch, btw. :) It was interesting to see how its results differed from 23andme. This is all knew to me and the wealth of information that gedmatch provides is still above my pay grade.

It loks like accoding to your Polygenetic tree, you are a direct decendant od Scandinavian Vikings who somehow settled in Ireland and blended in with Gealic Culture :)

That's my current theory as of a few days ago. There is a tombstone in Cork for a man who lived in the 18th century who we *think* is the oldest known ancestor of my line, but we can't know for sure because we're still missing some pieces. Cork was a Viking port so it is consistent with known general history to posit that I'm descended from a Viking who made his way to Cork. Now the question is when and whether he was Danish/Swedish/Norwegian. The linked page seems to suggest that P109 was largely Danish, but I am curious to see what further Y-chromosome analysis will uncover regarding the various Norse and ultra-Norse subgroups.

I plugged my 23andme raw data into some other applications and viewed my Y-SNPs. 23andme just said "I1" but I was able to find P109+ with the third-party apps. I've reviewed the link you just gave and was going to refer to it in my original post but I don't have a high enough post count to post links. (in fact, I had to edit the link out of your quote) Thank you for the welcome! I am really excited to get started with genetic geneology.

I've already plugged into gedmatch, btw. :) It was interesting to see how its results differed from 23andme. This is all knew to me and the wealth of information that gedmatch provides is still above my pay grade.

That's my current theory as of a few days ago. There is a tombstone in Cork for a man who lived in the 18th century who we *think* is the oldest known ancestor of my line, but we can't know for sure because we're still missing some pieces. Cork was a Viking port so it is consistent with known general history to posit that I'm descended from a Viking who made his way to Cork. Now the question is when and whether he was Danish/Swedish/Norwegian. The linked page seems to suggest that P109 was largely Danish, but I am curious to see what further Y-chromosome analysis will uncover regarding the various Norse and ultra-Norse subgroups.

Oh, what kind of apps are there? It seems like you know a lot more than me on those things :). You're welcome btw

Oh, what kind of apps are there? It seems like you know a lot more than me on those things :). You're welcome btw

The first one I used is Promethease. I can't post the link because of my low post count, but it will be the first hit if you Google it. It costs $5 and is well worth it in my view. Once you get it, search the reports for "haplogroup" and you can start seeing your various subclades. If you google "23andme to ysnps", you'll get a link to a free app that shows you your Y-SNPs from your 23andme data. There are a few others that I will see if I can post once I can post links.

Thanks, I'm downloading Pomesiese currently, wish you the best of luck on your Viking roots and Grave identifications, sounds quite exiting ^_^

I just got my results from LivingDNA which I selected since I wanted detail for my British ancestry by region. This test confirmed I was I1a1b1 which apparently is also L-22 and P109. This ties in precisely with the fact my paternal family tree goes back centuries in Vårmland. I am puzzled that LivingDNA shows no Scandinavian for me, since I know with certainty that a least 1/4 of my ancestry is from Sweden. Probably somewhat higher, due to Mother's side is part Scottish too. It appears to my novice observations, that LivingDNA is very slanted to categorize people as British.

Yes, Living DNA reports almost anything in England as English.

Welcome to the forum. P109 in Ireland is most probably related to Viking settlements even though L22 was in the Normans as well, who had Viking roots themselves.

Here is a map from FTDNA for P109 identified users who have a location set:

P109 Dec 17.jpg

You can see it's very heavily concentrated in Viking homelands but was spread around by Germanic tribes too. Most of the I1 branches were not exclusively any one ethnic group but L22 is the most correlative of any branch to Scandinavia.

Hello, my older brother's Y haplogroup started as I-M253, then went to I-P109, and now I-S18218.
Our oldest known paternal ancestor was born about 1832-1836, he stated on a Texas census in 1880 and 1900, in either Kansas or Missouri.

Hello, my older brother's Y haplogroup started as I-M253, then went to I-P109, and now I-S18218.
Our oldest known paternal ancestor was born about 1832-1836, he stated on a Texas census in 1880 and 1900, in either Kansas or Missouri.
https://www.yfull.com/tree/I-S8175/

Looks like Scandinavia, Scotland, NC

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This thread has been viewed 9215 times.

Back