Mother`s Diet And Offspring.

hope

Elite member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting piece from the Penn State News.
Maternal diet during pregnancy and lactation may, according to studies from Penn University, prime offspring for weight gain and obesity, later in life.
In a new study, researchers fed a group of rats a high fat diet during pregnancy and lactation. The offspring of these rats were in turn fed a high fat diet when weaned. On reaching adolescence the rats were measured for neural activity involved in energy balance and appetite regulation. Looking at the circuits which relay information from the stomach and the small intestine to the brain and back to the stomach, [ reflexes which help limit the amount of food we eat] they noted parts of the reflexes were compromised.
Kirsteen Browning, lead investigator, states exactly how maternal diet influences these functions is still unknown, however, "it`s time we start to take seriously the idea that obesity is, in part, a brain disease"

http://news.psu.edu/story/350597/20...uences-weight-control-neurocircuits-offspring

I think the best way to control obesity in the future will be to regulate (by pill?) strength of appetite and sense of fullness. Both should act on related centers in a brain. Otherwise we have to rely on human Strong Will to resist and control desire for good food, which act in similar way to drug addictions. We know how well it works. ;)

Just anecdotally, I'm sure we all know people who seem to never feel "full", or at least it takes a lot of food to make them feel "full", and those people often have a problem regulating their weight. You can see it more clearly in very young children, before full bore social conditioning comes into play. Some children will just keep eating, seemingly endlessly, whereas others will walk away.

That said, eating habits matter, even in young children. It always amazes me that mothers are constantly passing juice boxes and bags of sugary cereals to their toddlers, often just to keep them quiet. Once they can chew and digest fruit, you're better off giving them fruit to eat as a snack, or a piece or two of cheese, and water to drink. As for soda...I never allowed it in the house.

I also think some people do indeed have a higher metabolism than others.

Then you have to factor in that some people eat out of boredom or stress, whether or not they're actually "hungry". That's why some people still don't lose much weight even after bariatric surgery. Their stomach may be full, and sending satiety signals to the brain, but they either stretch their stomachs out again, or they substitute things like milkshakes. Trust me, it happens. All those funny bits in movies about depressed, unhappy women reaching for chocolate or a pint of Hagen Dazs ice cream are accurate as well.

I think the best way to control obesity in the future will be to regulate (by pill?) strength of appetite and sense of fullness. Both should act on related centers in a brain. Otherwise we have to rely on human Strong Will to resist and control desire for good food, which act in similar way to drug addictions. We know how well it works. ;)
There are some tablets you can buy that are sold as appetite suppressors.
I know, in the past, there were certain products withdrawn from the market because they were linked to certain health issues, some quite serious ones too. And of course you can now buy patches that are supposed to suppress appetite but which, to my knowledge, have no evidence to show they work.
Up to the 1950s you could, in some countries, buy amphetamines freely [ which as we know are highly powerful nervous system stimulants] for appetite suppression.
The thing is, even if we did get a good form of suppressant, many would probably still choose the bad foods at mealtimes. There are some of us [ and some in this very conversation] succumb at times to things we know we shouldn`t really be having.:ashamed2: I have read drinking water before you eat may help you eat less..[or at least help burn calories by running to the bathroom all night..:)]

Re. eating addiction...this might be interesting when you get time.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0149763414002140

Just anecdotally, I'm sure we all know people who seem to never feel "full", or at least it takes a lot of food to make them feel "full", and those people often have a problem regulating their weight. You can see it more clearly in very young children, before full bore social conditioning comes into play. Some children will just keep eating, seemingly endlessly, whereas others will walk away.

That said, eating habits matter, even in young children. It always amazes me that mothers are constantly passing juice boxes and bags of sugary cereals to their toddlers, often just to keep them quiet. Once they can chew and digest fruit, you're better off giving them fruit to eat as a snack, or a piece or two of cheese, and water to drink. As for soda...I never allowed it in the house.

I also think some people do indeed have a higher metabolism than others.

Then you have to factor in that some people eat out of boredom or stress, whether or not they're actually "hungry". That's why some people still don't lose much weight even after bariatric surgery. Their stomach may be full, and sending satiety signals to the brain, but they either stretch their stomachs out again, or they substitute things like milkshakes. Trust me, it happens. All those funny bits in movies about depressed, unhappy women reaching for chocolate or a pint of Hagen Dazs ice cream are accurate as well.
I agree regarding comfort/emotional eating. We each of us have the ability to internalize experiences where food played an emotional and physical role...thus when we get depressed or bored etc we may too easily turn to food for comfort.
I also agree that healthy eating should be encouraged from an early age. However, it can be a days work just to get some children to even look at healthy food let alone put in their mouths and chew...it seems many have to turn to even more inventive ideas to tempt them.

This thread has been viewed 3807 times.

Back