Newly discovered Harappa Civilization skeletons to be tested for Dna

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
This is exciting news:

http://www.archaeology.org/news/3209-150415-india-harappan-skeletons

"HARYANA, INDIA—Four 5,000-year-old skeletons from the Harappan civilization have been recovered from an ancient cemetery near Rakhigarhi village in northern India. The well-preserved skeletons were discovered in sandy soil, and the joint team of scientists from Deccan College, the Haryana Archaeology Department, and Seoul National University in South Korea will attempt to collect DNA samples from the bones. “The skeletons of two adult males, a female, and a child have been found. With the help of forensic experts, we will try to reconstruct their DNA,” Nilesh Jadhav, co-director of the project, told The Tribune of India. The results could shed light on the identity of the Harappan people."

I hope they will succeed in DNA reconstruction. Maybe we can find a clue re the origins of this mysterious culture.

Gs, Js, Rs, H1*s, Ls or Ts maybe even some "weird" Haplogroups such as K* or C*.

Last edited:
Gs, Js, Rs, H*, L or T maybe even some "weird" Haplogroups such as K* or C*.

This is worse than me when asked to predict the outcome a sporting event.

L seems the obvious choice.

I'll go with R2 (M124 and/or any subclade).

Last edited:
I used to be obsessed with Indus River Valley Civ. I think it was the strong evidence for contact with Sumer that had me all hot and bothered.

This is worse than me when asked to predict the outcome a sporting event.

L seems the obvious choice.

I'll go with R2.

You can't expect to find a single Haplogroup, If these individuals are not related you will at least find two different Haplogroups.

Last edited:
Gs, Js, Rs, H*, L or T maybe even some "weird" Haplogroups such as K* or C*.

I agree, but as far as haplogroup R is concerned I doubt that there will be any R1a or R1b 5,000 years ago - only R2. I expect the dominant haplogroups of the Harappan Civilization to be G, L and J2.

You can't expect to find a single Haplogroup. If these individuals are not related you will at least find two different Haplogroups.

there will be max 3 Y-DNA and a good chance they are related
so it won't be representative for the whole population
but at least we'll get a peek inside
maybe autosmal DNA will provide another clue

btw, I don't expect very exotic results as these are just 5000 years old and sure there must be descendants of Harrapans still alive today
I would go for J2 or R2

I used to be obsessed with Indus River Valley Civ. I think it was the strong evidence for contact with Sumer that had me all hot and bothered.

there was trade overseas with Sumer and over land with Elam
they probably got tin from the north, over the Hindu Kush
one of the origins of this civilization may lie in Uzbekistan
the sudden disappearance of the civilization is another mistery
quite fascinating indeed

Since everyone is guessing, then my choices are ( not in any order )

H, L, T and R1 ....................with G1 as an outsider ......and of course K will be there.

You can't expect to find a single Haplogroup. If these individuals are not related you will at least find two different Haplogroups.

FIFY, and I'd say two males in the same grave complex being descended from the same recent male ancestor isn't unlikely.

Okay, let's be a bit more specific in our "calls". I admit mine isn't a precise prediction, but it's a bit more specific than 5-10 major HG's. There's two known males and I'm saying they'll both be R2, if it can be determined.

Although I'm hoping for R1a or R1b just so I can watch the arguments.

Okay, let's be a bit more specific in our "calls". I admit mine isn't a precise prediction, but it's a bit more specific than 5-10 major HG's. There's two known males and I'm saying they'll both be R2, if it can be determined.

Although I'm hoping for R1a or R1b just so I can watch the arguments.

I was going to say R1 for the lols.

I would lead the charge, but there'll be no horses so I couldn't really pour it on.

Alan: I always suspected this.
Goga:This is proof positive of an Indus River PIE homeland. I actually had a strong feeling that they were a river people, and the Indus script must be none other than PIE. Two birds with one stone. Publish this thread.
Holderlin: PIE homeland can only be the North Pole because of Uralic and Snow Horses
Tomenable: Yes, North Pole or just South there of.
Holderlin: Or, inside the earth via the hole in the North Pole.
Tomenable: This is also possible but a little less likely. Very interesting.
Goga: <Head explodes>
Alan: <Resists exploding head>

I do think it is *just* possible btw - if the graves were associated with metal working - but highly unlikely.

That would be badass. I cant wait until we have like an internet of ancient DNA.

Can you imagine the sort of modeling you could do? Imagine the huge red flare up showing the influx of Neanderthal DNA in wherever location (def Levant and again in Asia) 50000 years ago.

I think that there the most numerious hg should be hg L.

Next, some of H, J2, and maybe minority of D and O.

There shouldn't be R1 and big maybe R2 too.

But the results will depend on the historical time, which will be exemine.

If it will be the end of civilization there could be a lot of R1.

This thread has been viewed 14851 times.

Back