Reconstructions of ancient 2500 year old Circassian faces.

Alan

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Kurdish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1a1a1
mtDNA haplogroup
HV2a1 +G13708A
Reconstructed faces of the ancestors of the Circassians 2,500 years ago
Scientists have graphically reconstructed the appearance of the ancestors of the Circassians (proto-Circassians), the inhabitants of the Northwest Caucasus on the north-eastern Black Sea coast in ancient times, based on sculls found in the burial ground in the Lobanov Depression, south of Anapa, near Little Utrish. The excavations were made in 1984 and 1990, and they revealed 15 stone tombs with human remains that are dated to the VI-II centuries BC. The tombs are oriented in an east-west axis, with the heads positioned to the east, which is quite typical of the funeral rites of the population of the region.
Reconstruction of facial features of a number of sculls found in burial grounds in Misxako, near Novorossiysk, and in the Ts'emez Valley, Novorossiysk, was also carried out.
Source: A. V. Dmitriev and A. A. Malyshev, "Sepulchers of the VI-II Centuries BC in the Depression at the Estuary of the Labanov", Armavir Local History Museum, Issue 5, Armavir-Moscow, 1999.

1932256_729420853768848_2009859510_n.jpg

1920174_729421073768826_1319357556_n.jpg

1011076_729421130435487_379607335_n.jpg
1982194_729421330435467_642095303_n.jpg

1920414_729421273768806_1326838799_n.jpg

Last edited:
1959777_729421197102147_1107022842_n.jpg

1625480_729421230435477_1070317884_n.jpg

Last edited:
Archeological sites
1920372_729421737102093_1308753840_n.jpg
1508183_729421817102085_57422390_n.jpg
10007472_729421870435413_2067121160_n.jpg
1977285_729422040435396_413840144_n.jpg
1653574_729421947102072_1116740539_n.jpg

Looking at these faces, they are quite mixed. We have some facial traits from Near Eastern Farmers, of vertical foreheads and vertical noses. However none, with Greek classical nose. There are also skulls with very slanted forehead and pronounced eyebrows, and low roots/sticking out noses. Traits more common in Northern Euro-Asiatic peoples, and ancient hunter gatherers. I'd say, I see two distinct phenotype, two different populations mixing together.

Looking at these faces, they are quite mixed. We have some facial traits from Near Eastern Farmers, of vertical foreheads and vertical noses. However none, with Greek classical nose. There are also skulls with very slanted forehead and pronounced eyebrows, and low roots/sticking out noses. Traits more common in Northern Euro-Asiatic peoples, and ancient hunter gatherers. I'd say, I see two distinct phenotype, two different populations mixing together.

EEF farmers+ HG

I would say the first lady has more of a "Greek" nose. The other have the "Roman nose". Quite a suprise for me the number of "snubnosed" individuals.

I think it was a common process in that area. Cavalli-Sforza stated something similar about the proto-indoeuropeans: "It is clear that, genetically speaking, peoples of the Kurgan steppe descended at least in part from people of the Middle Eastern Neolithic who immigrated there from Turkey."

I think it was a common process in that area. Cavalli-Sforza stated something similar about the proto-indoeuropeans: "It is clear that, genetically speaking, peoples of the Kurgan steppe descended at least in part from people of the Middle Eastern Neolithic who immigrated there from Turkey."

Not a big suprise. North Caucasus is part of the Yamna comple. And Yamna cluster on fst distance maps in between North Caucasians, Udmurts/Mordovians, Russians with a slight leaning towards Central Asians (I think ancient Central Asians would have been as close to Yamna as the other listed groups).

This reconstruction on paper has very similar features to that Yamna reconstruction in bust form. Some facial features are dependend on artistic freedom. Diffrent artist will intepret some different features. What however is mostly accurate is the cranial form, cephalic index. nose and ear forms.

Yamna_cultdure.jpg

This reconstruction on paper has very similar features to that Yamna reconstruction in bust form. Some facial features are dependend on artistic freedom. Diffrent artist will intepret some different features. What however is mostly accurate is the cranial form, cephalic index. nose and ear forms.

Yamna_cultdure.jpg

He looks like a Roman to me.

7010175361_d137dfa837_z.jpg

He looks like a Roman to me.

7010175361_d137dfa837_z.jpg

Which one do you mean? The Circassian dude or the Yamna? I think both look "Roman" imo. As I said planely white busts will facially look somehow different from drawn reconstructions.

The Roman bust has slightly shorter face.

Perhaps more like Emperor Constantine, born in Balkans.
ConstantineBustCapitolinirgtbgtrb.jpg

Reconstructed faces of the ancestors of the Circassians 2,500 years ago
Scientists have graphically reconstructed the appearance of the ancestors of the Circassians (proto-Circassians), the inhabitants of the Northwest Caucasus on the north-eastern Black Sea coast in ancient times, based on sculls found in the burial ground in the Lobanov Depression, south of Anapa, near Little Utrish. The excavations were made in 1984 and 1990, and they revealed 15 stone tombs with human remains that are dated to the VI-II centuries BC. The tombs are oriented in an east-west axis, with the heads positioned to the east, which is quite typical of the funeral rites of the population of the region.
Reconstruction of facial features of a number of sculls found in burial grounds in Misxako, near Novorossiysk, and in the Ts'emez Valley, Novorossiysk, was also carried out.
Source: A. V. Dmitriev and A. A. Malyshev, "Sepulchers of the VI-II Centuries BC in the Depression at the Estuary of the Labanov", Armavir Local History Museum, Issue 5, Armavir-Moscow, 1999.

1932256_729420853768848_2009859510_n.jpg

1920174_729421073768826_1319357556_n.jpg

1011076_729421130435487_379607335_n.jpg
1982194_729421330435467_642095303_n.jpg

1920414_729421273768806_1326838799_n.jpg
I 've always the same bad impressions when I look at these reconstructions (all of them, for the most)
the peri-mouth and nasal reconstructions are always hazardous, even surely false!
the 4° crania is confusing because, as some other times, the lateral and the frontal views have not the same angle: angle is of great importance when rating features
in true life, the most of the populations with flat upper nose bridge associated to a protuding middle nose show on life short enough fleshy snubnoses and not so big long noses as in these reconstructions - only with crossings with 'mediteranean' noses (and even 'nordic' ones, but less), we find the same bone profile but associated with a long flesh nose turned downwards and in this case the profile line of the nose incurved itself downwards and does not keep on protuding straight forwards: the nose I describe is common enough among Armenians but not only -
MORE GENERALLY HERE: I see more than 2 types, because already I see a more 'cromagnoid' type (first, a woman) and a more 'brünnoid' type (thrid, woman too) - the fourth shows an evolution, from one or two of these primal types, on the way to 'mediterranean' giving something close to the 'long barrows type'(so not by force a new crossing with 'modern 'mediterranean' ); all the way this result has a very uncommon high protuding occiput and not the classical 'mediterranean' occipital "chignon".
So thiese proto-Circassians were well mixed already. I hope we shall have more crania to discuss the matter
&: the jaw of the first wife (my cromagnoid) HAS BEEN BADLY RECONSTRUCTED UPON ALMOST NOTHING / I THINK IT COULD HAVE BEEN BROADER

when I speak of 'long-barrows' type here I speak of the skull only, because the mean of the known 'long barrows types faces were shorter and broader (surely some crossing with the 'cromagnoid-old mediterraneans' of the Atlantic shores; but we know Coon saw great ressemblance in the skull profile of 'L-B's with the most of Sumerians of Al Ubaid - &: the less erased traces of 'L-B' influence today in West are found among british People, the most in Wales.

the first skull is surprising: it seems showing an unachieved 'dinaricizating' process, armenoid-like to speak as ancients; cranial deformation ? or true evolution? because cranial deformations (different) occurred in History-
very variated skulls indeed, even the inferior jaws are very different one from another: a melting pot, already?

Which one do you mean? The Circassian dude or the Yamna? I think both look "Roman" imo. As I said planely white busts will facially look somehow different from drawn reconstructions.

The Roman bust has slightly shorter face.

1) I rely very more on this Roman statue than upon the hazardous ancient Circassians reconstructions
2) this Roman is surely not the sole type found among old Romans but it seems this type was common enough
3) if reliable, it show a dominance 'alpine domin

1) I rely very more on this Roman statue than upon the hazardous ancient Circassians reconstructions
2) this Roman is surely not the sole type found among old Romans but it seems this type was common enough
3) if reliable, it show a dominance 'alpine dominant (of 'cromagnoid' extraction apparently) - without too evident 'mediterranean' influence of any kind - maybe the nose is a bit big and inclined (maybe the only 'mediterranean' slight influence?), but it show a snub tendancy, a splitted "potatoe" tip, I think without proof, of a 'cromagnoid' inheritage, marked too among 'borreby's but slimest among achieved 'alpines' -

this kind of types would have had ancestors in the Occidental Alps, and been send southwards by Ligurians or Ligurianized people and later by Gallic Celts and, less densely, by Italics ?- a basic component among French and Italian people (and some Swiss and German and Walloon people)

The third skull (female according to reconstruction) is strange for me, with a receding frontal very surprising for a woman - without being very marked I wonder if it could not show some light 'mongoloid' influences (some of the Huns crania were very brutal, as some of the Avars, what is uncommon among the most of today 'mongoloid' of any kind - just my interrogation...

3) if reliable, it show a dominance 'alpine dominant (of 'cromagnoid' extraction apparently) - without too evident 'mediterranean' influence of any kind - maybe the nose is a bit big and inclined (maybe the only 'mediterranean' slight influence?), but it show a snub tendancy, a splitted "potatoe" tip, I think without proof, of a 'cromagnoid' inheritage, marked too among 'borreby's but slimest among achieved 'alpines' -

this kind of types would have had ancestors in the Occidental Alps, and been send southwards by Ligurians or Ligurianized people and later by Gallic Celts and, less densely, by Italics ?- a basic component among French and Italian people (and some Swiss and German and Walloon people)
Roman bust reminds me italian actor Luca Zingaretti
http://images.style.it/Storage/Asse...ssario-montalbano-luca-zingaretti_650x447.jpg
http://static.rbcasting.com/0365656...ngaretti-foto-di-Fabrizio-Di-Giulio-20131.jpg

I agree. Zingaretti looks very modern Roman to me, too, and he is, isn't he? I also might have said Emilia Romagna if I didn't know. I've never thought he was a particularly good choice in terms of phenotype for such a very Sicilian character. Am I wrong? Will our Sicilians be angry at me for saying that? :)

I love him and I love the series. Luckily, a lot of the episodes are available on you tube.

This is a profile view. It hadn't registered on me that he is light eyed. He definitely rocks the bald look. :)
http://www.firenzemadeintuscany.com/media/luca-zingaretti-1020-LCLJQZKE.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks Angela -
according to me (and I shrae my proper analysis!) it shows italians are far to be as a whole a true 'mediterranean' people in the anthropologic sense-
and we have to reconsider the autosomales definitions: we saw that before: I wrote about my doubts about the "pure mediterranean" aspect of Ötzi face and skull, and already some autosomales assignations of Neolithic people of Europe has seen their PURE EEF part decreasing by new analysis:
whatever the thruth, it shows the relativity of autosomals precision at the present stage of our knowledge. That said, I find the today autosomals

This thread has been viewed 8486 times.

Back