some famous destinations of spain

Last edited:
What kind of turism do you want to enjoy Christopher? Near Madrid you have many historical cities to visit; Avila, Segovia, Toledo, Alcala de Henares, Aranjuez, El Escorial, Chinchon, Siguenza, Merida, Cuenca, Buitrago de Lozoya. Madrid is one of the most fancy destinations.

It's been quite a few years, but I've done a fair bit of traveling in Spain, and some of the places that Ziober mentioned are among my favorites: Toledo, Avila, Segovia, and of course if you're in the vicinity you should definitely see El Escorial, although I found it a little off putting.

I don't know if you can claim to have seen Spain without seeing Cordoba and Sevilla as well. I was thinking about southern Spain just recently. I'm an aficionado of the television series Game of Thrones, and the "Water Gardens" location is actually The Alhambra. It's stupefyingly beautiful, although I have to admit that spruced up by the film crews it's even more beautiful in the show than I remember it being in real life.:)

I quite like the San Sebastian area...excellent food, btw. I also have absolutely wonderful memories of Pamplona during the San Fermin festival. It's one of those unique cultural experiences.

I live in Sweden, so you might want to check out seal safaris in Western Sweden starting mid-July :) It's lost of fun and it is a totally unique experience.

Madrid and Barcelona are the two destinations in Spain, which are definitely worth a visit. Barcelona in particular stayed in my memory mostly because of an architecture of Gaudi, which is unusual and unique, and certainly has to be experienced.

Yeah! Spain is very nice country of Europe. I agree with Camden. Really Spain's destinations are very attractive. Last year I visited it. Alhambra and Ibiza are my favorite places in Spain. Alhambra is a historical palace in Granada, Spain. It is a masterpiece of history and architecture.

I like to share with you Europe is a great continent for travelling the point of view. but its many countries are great for travel. I have been visited there many time in my life but Spain and Paris its countries force me to visit there again and again or having fun. So I have a plan to go there soon for having fun with my friends.

sHello Christopher,
to be honest your question is very global. It depends, what you are aming at.Discoteques and beaches, museums and culture or i.e. a quiet rural vacationsurrounded by lovely nature and animals?
A global answer is:
Balearic Islands (Mallorca, Ibiza)
Canary Islands (Tenerife, Gran Canaria)
Costa Brava (between French border and Barcelona, i.e. Playa d'Aro)
Costa Blanca (between Valencia and Alicante, i.e. Benidorm)
Costa del Sol (between Málaga and Algeciras, i.e. Marbella - Puerto Banus)

All the best to you, your Christian Ho

Cadiz is amazing! Heres was not that impressive even during Santa Semana

I would like to recommend you to use a website called routeperfect...you can find places and routes in Spain while taking in account your personal preferences...It is easy to use and pretty fun to just discover cool places...

I've lived in Spain for 35 years and until last month have never been to Barcelona. I can highly recommend it, the Catalans are very friendly people and Barcelona is one of the easiest cities I ever been to to get around on public transport. I'm looking forward to going back in September.

Hi Christopher11,

Barcelona, Seville, Madrid, Granada, Valencia these are the top attractions in Spain .which I feel.

Barcelona and Madrid are wonderful, and everyone should visit Seville and Granada, at Easter if possible, but there are a lot of wonderful smaller cities as well.

I particularly liked Segovia, and Toledo, and Avila, and you shouldn't go to Spain without going to see El Escorial. Zaragoza is great too, and then there's the northern coast, which is very different. It's a wonderful country, Spain: lovely people, food, and lots to see.

I don't know if the Castle at Segovia is the model for Cinderella's castle at Disneyland, but it looks like it! :) There's a marvelous view from the battlements. I'll never forget it. I played out a whole battle, a la "El Cid", in my mind as I looked out over the fields.

Segovia.Castle.original.11919.jpg

The aqueduct:
segovia-la-granja-private-tour-5.jpg

Toledo and Avila were wonderful too. Toledo is famous for its silver works, and ex-Catholic school girl that I am, I wanted to see the home of St. Teresa of Avila.

Toledo:
city-toledo-spain_77221_990x742.jpg

Avila:
avila-walls620_2311696b.jpg

St. Teresa: the Bernini statue says more about Bernini than St. Teresa, I'm sure.
teresa-in-ecstasy-statue-closeup.png

I don't know if this is true to life, but I absolutely love her face:
teresa-of-avila-francois-gerard.jpg

Zaragoza:
Basilica_del_Pilar-sunset.jpg

The two big touristic areas in (peninsula) Spain are Catalonia (Barcelona + Costa Brava) and Andalusia (Granada, Sevilla, Córdoba).

Madrid + Castile is interesting, but secondary (unless there is a specific interest).

The two big touristic areas in (peninsula) Spain are Catalonia (Barcelona + Costa Brava) and Andalusia (Granada, Sevilla, Córdoba).

Madrid + Castile is interesting, but secondary (unless there is a specific interest).

I am not so sure about it. Madrid is as interesting as Barcelona and there are plenty of very interesting places in Castille like Avila, Segovia, Salamanca, Toledo and so many well-preserved medieval castles.

I am not so sure about it. Madrid is as interesting as Barcelona and there are plenty of very interesting places in Castille like Avila, Segovia, Salamanca, Toledo and so many well-preserved medieval castles.

I have lived in Madrid for some time, so I appreciate the city. But comparing it to Barcelona ... Madrid does not even have a Gothic cathedral. In Barcelona, you have the Sagrada Familia, La Pedrera and all the Gaudí buildings, the beaches ... Madrid has just the museums (which are great), but this is not really the "city", is just the government putting lots of money.

And then, taking Salamanca and all that as part of Madrid ... Salamanca is more than 200km away from Madrid!

If you take this distance, from Barcelona you are already in France.

And then, being so free to do this, take also Tarragona (the Roman Imperial Tarraco), the ruins of Emporion, Girona, all the Pyrenées (including the Aigüestortes Natural Park) ... and as said, the whole Costa Brava.

For sure, if you are interested in castles of the Middle Ages, Castile can be a good place to go. But from a general point of view, for somebody that wants "a bit of everything" (good art and buildings, good weather, beaches, mountains, culture from the Greeks up to modern time, etc.), I do not think that Madrid is up to Barcelona. The most I can say is "go to both places and compare".

This thread has been viewed 17536 times.

Back