neanderthal admixture in Europe

bicicleur 2

Reaction score
after analasis of the 45000 year old Usht-Ishim genome Neanderthal admixture was estimated 55-60000 years ago
admixture was supposed to have happened outside of Europe

now another 4-6 generations old Neanderthal admixture has been discovered in a 40.000 year old European human

http://dienekes.blogspot.be/2015/05/neandertal-in-immediate-family-tree.html

awaiting details, but the article has yet not been published

after analasis of the 45000 year old Usht-Ishim genome Neanderthal admixture was estimated 55-60000 years ago
admixture was supposed to have happened outside of Europe

now another 4-6 generations old Neanderthal admixture has been discovered in a 40.000 year old European human

http://dienekes.blogspot.be/2015/05/neandertal-in-immediate-family-tree.html

awaiting details, but the article has yet not been published

correction, admixture was supposed to only have happened outside Europe. Now we know that admixture went on even after early humns reached Europe.

Wouldn't it be fascinating if the Neanderthal was in the direct male line and we got a novel yDna?

Wasn't there some speculation, though, that the male offspring of such matings would have been sterile?

Wouldn't it be fascinating if the Neanderthal was in the direct male line and we got a novel yDna?

Wasn't there some speculation, though, that the male offspring of such matings would have been sterile?

the chance to find neanderthal Y-DNA or mtDNA alive today is very small I guess
Neanderthals went extinct some 40.000 years ago and it seems that all Y- and mt-DNA going back that far is allready mapped

but it should be,

how come modern Europeans have 3-6% Neantherdal DNA and that was not pass neither by father (Y-DNA) neither by mother (mtDNA)?
so there must be a mark of Y or mt DNA in modern human

Interesting Thread that give me the occasion to put in evidence an intriguing fact.

Max Planck Institute sequenced the genome of Ust’-Ishim from Northern Siberia that dates to 45,000 years ago, This genome is available for comparing test at GEDmatch, I test mine and I shared some cM with him. That is not surprising as Ust’-Ishim was a modern human and not so very distantly related to people today.

His genome actually shows also shared alleles with Neandertals but no greater ancestry than any Eurasian people living today ... Why? It look likes Neandertal admixture is little but constant
through the millennia in all non-African.

that is logical
once an admixture gets spread over a complete population, and there is no more dilution by admixture with other populations, the admixture remains constant
what changes is the length of the admixed DNA strands, the DNA gets chopped into ever shorter pieces

but it should be,

how come modern Europeans have 3-6% Neantherdal DNA and that was not pass neither by father (Y-DNA) neither by mother (mtDNA)?

no, that is the difference between Y/mt or autosmal DNA
autosmal DNA you get 50/50
Y/mt DNA you get 100 %, and if their is no successor, then it stops, the line gets extinct

the chance to find neanderthal Y-DNA or mtDNA alive today is very small I guess
Neanderthals went extinct some 40.000 years ago and it seems that all Y- and mt-DNA going back that far is allready mapped
The last Neanderthals died in Spain, Gibraltar, about 24 kya. There must have been some human admixture in them too, because they were looking less robust by then.

The last Neanderthals died in Spain, Gibraltar, about 24 kya. There must have been some human admixture in them too, because they were looking less robust by then.

sorry, this is old school
all Neanderthals younger than 40.000 year in Europe have been redated or reclassified as modern human
if i recall well there was allways big doubt about those in Gibraltar being Neanderthal

first modern humans arrived in Europe 48.000 years ago, so there is a 8000 year window when both were in Europe

sorry, this is old school
all Neanderthals younger than 40.000 year in Europe have been redated or reclassified as modern human
if i recall well there was allways big doubt about those in Gibraltar being Neanderthal

first modern humans arrived in Europe 48.000 years ago, so there is a 8000 year window when both were in Europe
I've never once heard about reclassification. Can you point me to the source of the news?

I think they are talking about one site in Iberia, not the Gibraltar or Croatian sites, where previous dating of Neanderthals took place. It is interesting though how double checking of dating will go.
It might be the case that by 20-30 kya there were no true Neanderthals anymore but only some hybrids from mixing with humans.

no, that is the difference between Y/mt or autosmal DNA
autosmal DNA you get 50/50
Y/mt DNA you get 100 %, and if their is no successor, then it stops, the line gets extinct

I understand that,
but not this,
the Neanderdal autosomal enter modern Humans via multiply mix or gained ?
cause if I produce my shelf i will pass 50/50 my genes and 100 Y-mt
and if my product reproduce again, and again, the same
so nature's choice picks the strong or the coreect 50/50 but in that isn't my 100 Y-mt?
how the chain can be cut and exist my product of 50/50 without my 100

I think they are talking about one site in Iberia, not the Gibraltar or Croatian sites, where previous dating of Neanderthals took place. It is interesting though how double checking of dating will go.
It might be the case that by 20-30 kya there were no true Neanderthals anymore but only some hybrids from mixing with humans.

I have not read in detail but this is what the paper says :

Southern Iberia has been held to represent an exception to a wider European pattern21, with late survival of Neanderthals previously argued at sites such as Gorham’s Cave, Gibraltar22. We could not reproduce any of the late dates from sites in this region15 (Supplementary Methods) and it is apparent that many previous determinations underestimate the real age. It is unclear how long Neanderthals persisted in southern Iberia15.

I understand that,
but not this,
the Neanderdal autosomal enter modern Humans via multiply mix or gained ?
cause if I produce my shelf i will pass 50/50 my genes and 100 Y-mt
and if my product reproduce again, and again, the same
so nature's choice picks the strong or the coreect 50/50 but in that isn't my 100 Y-mt?
how the chain can be cut and exist my product of 50/50 without my 100

well keep in mind
- Neanderthal DNA in humans is only 2 % , so much of it has been filtered out
- most Y/mtDNA gets extinct, only few lines survive

A study conducted by the anthropologist John Hawks put in evidence that with 4% of Neandertal admixture in their DNA the Tuscans are one of the population with the higher quantity of Neandertal genes, Hawks thesis are included in the following video "PBS Nova | Decoding Neanderthals - Full Documentary"

https://youtu.be/qqf0CdjUejA?t=42m30s

A study conducted by the anthropologist John Hawks put in evidence that with 4% of Neandertal admixture in their DNA the Tuscans are one of the population with the higher quantity of Neandertal genes, Hawks thesis are included in the following video "PBS Nova | Decoding Neanderthals - Full Documentary"

https://youtu.be/qqf0CdjUejA?t=42m30s

Only a few European populations were tested in that particular analysis. to my recollection, none of the eastern European populations were sampled. Wasn't it just the 1000 Genomes groups? Does anyone know of a study that looks at a broader range of populations?

well keep in mind
- Neanderthal DNA in humans is only 2 % , so much of it has been filtered out
- most Y/mtDNA gets extinct, only few lines survive

That´s funny, my dad was scored 5% on a National Geographic test. They couldn´t be wrong could they? ;)

but it should be,

Even Hallo group C-V20 and F is rare Thought to represent the aurignacian culture and their direct ancestors came face to face with the Neanderthals. Perhaps we will find a European man with Ydna A00 some day but so far that haplogroup was only found in only one man who is African American; no offense if any, we just need more DNA testing is all. There has got to be more living ydna A00 men in this world than just one person.

According to 23andme, I'm 2.9% Neanderthal

Sources: http://forwhattheywereweare.blogspot.com/2013/03/cameroonian-y-dna-lineage-a00-is-older.html

• Mendez et al. (2013), p. 455. Quote: "Upon searching a large pan-African database consisting of 5,648 samples from ten countries [...] we identified 11 Y chromosomes that were invariant and identical to the A00 chromosome at five of the six Y-STRs (2 of the 11 chromosomes carried DYS19-16, whereas the others carried DYS19-15). These 11 chromosomes were all found in a sample of 174 (~6.3%) Mbo individuals from western Cameroon (Figure 2). Seven of these Mbo chromosomes were available for further testing, and the genotypes were found to be identical at 37 of 39 SNPs known to be derived on the A00 chromosome (i.e., two of these genotyped SNPs were ancestral in the Mbo samples)".

http://www.eupedia.com/europe/origins_haplogroups_europe.shtml#C

This thread has been viewed 13405 times.

Back