Interpreting Percentages

Lambert

Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first post. I recently received my results from FTDNA and had a question for anyone who might understand the matches section on FTDNA. The people who are listed as matches all have percentage chart with 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24 generations listed. On mine, maybe everyone's, the further back, the higher the percentage of relation. I am trying to understand what this means. At this point, I assume this means that we don't have a recent common ancestor but we have a common ancestor many generations back. Is my understanding on this correct? For example, I have several 67 marker matches who are listed as 100% at 24 generations back while at 4 generations they are listed as being 70%. On 12 marker matches, my matches are in the low 90% range at 24 generations and at 4 generations they are around mid 30%. I would also like to know what the difference is between the marker levels in terms of relation to my matches. Some of this may be explained on FTDNA but what I have read so far does not explain it to my satisfaction. Thanks

This thread has been viewed 3046 times.

Back