Compare Facial features without: Eyes, Color, and Hair

Fire Haired14

Banned
Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b DF27*
mtDNA haplogroup
U5b2a2b1
I've noticed that on TV when they don't want viewers to recognize someone they cover up that persons' eyes. This is because many people look basically the same if you cover up their eyes. The eyes seem to be the feature that would have the least amount of variation, but it's one of the most varied features of the human face. I think our minds might be hard wired to communicate emotions with our eyes and to be able to recognize someone through their eyes.

Someone's pigmentation(Color) and HairStyle also make big affects but are small elements of a human face compared to the bone and flesh.

So, if you want to compare facial features of differnt populations(Which posters do on forums like this sometimes) erase the Eyes, pigmentation, and hair to the best of your ability. Yes, they do matter, but I don't think they're very informative about distant origins.

I think this is especially true for West Eurasians. I'd say the main difference in appearance between West Eurasians is mostly in Color, and then also cultural background(which includes cloths and hair style).

Attachments

• Bedouin.jpg
    Bedouin.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 10
I'm reminded of a comment made to me by an American expat living in Italy. She said that her first full winter in Italy (Lucca to be exact) she was amazed at how "pale" her friends got and how different they looked from the way they had looked in the summer. :)

However, while most West Eurasians have similarities not shared by East Asians or Sub Saharan Africans, there are still differences in face structure, features, etc., over and beyond skin tone, in my opinion, between the major groupings.

For example, I'd be totally surprised if that man is a Gulf Arab or a Palestinian, despite the tan and the headgear. In that case he'd be extremely atypical for his region.

You do have a point when you're talking about comparing Europeans to one another. Change the hair color and clothing, and it can become much harder.

However, while most West Eurasians have similarities not shared by East Asians or Sub Saharan Africans, there are still differences in face structure, features, etc., over and beyond skin tone, in my opinion, between the major groupings.

I agree with that. Also, the guy in that picture is Bedouin. I agree about him being atypical. He doesn't look like the typical Middle Eastern.

The shape of the eyes varies quite a bit in Europe. Some of the Northern areas have higher fat deposits on the upper eyelids, which gives them a somewhat asiatic look. I wonder if this trait was found in WHGs or ANEs. The further south in Europe you go, the rounder the eyes get. Sometimes too round for my liking (I like girls with more exotic/oriental eyes).

I've noticed that eyes tend to get larger as you shift to some parts of southern Europe, but I've never really noticed that they get "rounder". At least in Italy, a lot of women's eyes seem to be rather almond shaped, whether on the small side or the larger size:

Stefania Sandrelli: (Granted, the eye make up accentuates it.)
02.jpg

Alessandra Mastronardi:
Quelli+Che+Il+Calcio+Italian+TV+Show+May+6+ynFmQnVffwJl.jpg

Virna Lisi:
girl-hair-virna-lisi.jpg

Sophia Loren:
2cf5f28abc2ff56813c6653e56ef4052.jpg

Giovanna Mezzogiorno-one of my favorites among current actresses:
1251387709apertura.jpg

I'm often cautioned against posting actresses, but I don't like violating the privacy of everyday people. I know most of these, however, and I don't think they'd mind, so....I don't see a lot of either round eyed or particularly large eyed people.
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...talian-villages-in-Eastern-Liguria-NW-Toscana

It's harder to find pictures of famous women with round eyes, or really small eyes, because the whole goal of make-up is to elongate and enlarge the eye.

A young Katy Perry comes pretty close:
slide_258914_1678789_free.jpg

Maybe Reese Witherspoon is you can mentally remove the eye make up:
reese-witherspoon_416x416.jpg

Emily Rossum:
1af501e366cca4609e0bea08dc4a2322.jpg

Michele Pfeiffer?
michelle-pfeiffer-as-elvira-hancock-young-1119331924.jpg

OK concerning the importance of eyes in communications and preferences.
more than two sorts of eyelids exist among west-Eurasians; in South as in North or between...
otherwise it's true our judgement is influenced for the most by cultural traits as says Fire Haired (hair cut, beard or not -the most often for men - , and cultural acquired attitude too;
a too selfconscious Italian looks no more Italian!

I've noticed that eyes tend to get larger as you shift to some parts of southern Europe, but I've never really noticed that they get "rounder". At least in Italy, a lot of women's eyes seem to be rather almond shaped, whether on the small side or the larger size:

Stefania Sandrelli: (Granted, the eye make up accentuates it.)
02.jpg

Alessandra Mastronardi:
Quelli+Che+Il+Calcio+Italian+TV+Show+May+6+ynFmQnVffwJl.jpg

Virna Lisi:
girl-hair-virna-lisi.jpg

Sophia Loren:
2cf5f28abc2ff56813c6653e56ef4052.jpg

Giovanna Mezzogiorno-one of my favorites among current actresses:
1251387709apertura.jpg

I'm often cautioned against posting actresses, but I don't like violating the privacy of everyday people. I know most of these, however, and I don't think they'd mind, so....I don't see a lot of either round eyed or particularly large eyed people.
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...talian-villages-in-Eastern-Liguria-NW-Toscana
Claudia Cardinale as well, similar characteristics.

aUzUMKq.jpg

I know it's a kind of selection, but none of the Italian actresses above have the so often cited 'narrow face of mediterranean', an heritage of "black/white - two poles" simplistic antrhopology

This thread has been viewed 5661 times.

Back