Lionel Andrés Messi Cuccittini - Ydna G2a

DejaVu

Reaction score
Dont know if this is authentic.
http://www.ysearch.org/lastname_view.asp?uid=&letter=&lastname=messi&viewuid=T9AWB&p=0#

10423923_726826964110174_7302577879569188175_n.jpg

images

If thats really him, I always thought his profile looks more Caucasic or Indo European with his high nose bridge :). So he is G2a1? the type found mostly among Ossetians. The same type the Ossetian Stalin also belonged to.

ancient Alans anyone?

Lionel, the Alan, Messi.

Haplogroup G2a1 and its subgroups represent the majority of haplogroup G samples in some parts of the Caucasus Mountains area. They are found only in tiny numbers elsewhere. So far all G2a1 persons have a value of 10 at STR marker DYS392. G2a1a persons also typically have higher values for DYS385b, such as 16, 17 or 18, than seen in most G persons.
The North Ossetians in the mid northern Caucasus area of Russia belong overwhelmingly to the G2a1 subgroup based on available samples. The South Ossetians and Svans generally south of North Ossetia have significant number of G2a1 persons, but population percentages have not yet been provided.
The presence of the SNP P18 mutation characterizes G2a1a's only subgroup, G2a1a. The reliability of both P16 and P18 in identifying everyone in each of these categories has been questioned and individual components of the SNP have to be examined.
Ashkenazi Jewish G2a1a men with northeastern European ancestry form a distinct cluster based on STR marker values. Men from the Caucasus and men from eastern Europe also form distinctive STR clusters.

What's interesting, several G2a carriers who I know are very capable/intelligent people. Just an observation.

There are 211 families in Italy with surname Messi

85 families in the Marche region and 69 in the Lombardy region ...............that's 75% of Italy, only Lombardy had Spanish control for a period in history.

I might look up how his family went to Argentina

heraldry states...from Friuli , the oldest name of Messi appears

Antica e nobile famiglia originaria di Udine. Il commendator G.B. di Crollalanza riporta la blasonatura di questa famiglia nei volumi del suo Dizionario storico blasonico delle famiglie nobili e notabili italiane. Questa nobile famiglia, come rilevasi dal Giovan-Pietro Crescenzi Romani , nella sua "Corona della Nobiltà d'Italia, ovvero compendio delle istorie delle famiglie illustri", stampato in Bologna dal Tebaldini, vuolsi originaria del Piemonte, onde apprese le alte cariche e titoli

127 Messi families in Rhone-Alpes in France

586 Messi families in France

So , France and Italy are the main areas for the name in Europe.

Last edited:
According to Wiki his great grandfather came from the Marche, so that's the source of the "supposed" y DNA. His mother's surname is also Italian. From other things I've read it appears there's also Spanish in there, and as a result perhaps a bit of Amerindian, but basically he's of Southern European descent and in most pictures that's all I see: southern European of perhaps more of an Italian cast to my eyes, at least.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Messi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recanati
Lionel_Messi.jpg.h600.jpg

f8995f8f5badba93dcd86b34b0b46a75.jpg

In some pictures I do see a bit of Amerindian, but I wonder if I would have picked it up if I hadn't known about the ancestry.
178650575-footballer-lionel-messi-is-photographed-on-gettyimages.jpg

I know this stuff is fun, but in reality uniparental markers don't necessarily tell us that much about anything, and especially not about phenotype. My mtDna is pure EHG and steppe Indo-European, and I don't think I look like them at all.

Thanks Sile and Angela.

Italy/Iberia or France all of the regions were known for some Alan/Sarmatian settlements and mercenaries.

But the most interesting fact is, he is G2a1, which is not the typical EEF Haplogroup. Those were mostly G2a2 and G2a3. G2a1 is specifically high among Ossetians and the North and West Caucasus region. An Alan origin of his yDNA is very plausible. The funny thing is he actually reminds me of an old school comrade who was Ossetians and his name was Alan :).

And yes I agree he looks very South European (but more Italy to Southeast Europe) or North Caucasian. As I said I always thought he has a very Caucasian profile (high nose bridge). But maybe thats just me seeing more as there really is :)

Mithridates of Pontus.

mithridates4.jpg

article-0-02AC564A00000514-886_634x426.jpg
2013-11-06_OTRO_BARCELONA-MILAN_11-Optimized.v1383846951.v1383908502.JPG

Last edited:
his father, here we can see from where he got his look.
jorge-horacio-messi.jpg%3Fw%3D430

I have serious doubts about this being authentic. Even if a professional football player - Messi, of all players - happened to have an interest in genetic genealogy, which I find highly unlikely, I don't think he would bother to register on a public Y-DNA database site, with his full name. Unless some researchers/geneticists approached the guy and convinced him to submit a DNA sample and to allow them to publish it. That sounds a little less implausible, but not by much. Messi appears to be extremely reserved as well, which makes it all even more unlikely.

If this really is legitimate though, it would probably be the coolest "celebrity Y-DNA" discovery made so far.

I have serious doubts about this being authentic. Even if a professional football player - Messi, of all players - happened to have an interest in genetic genealogy, which I find highly unlikely, I don't think he would bother to register on a public Y-DNA database site, with his full name. Unless some researchers/geneticists approached the guy and convinced him to submit a DNA sample and to allow them to publish it. That sounds a little less implausible, but not by much. Messi appears to be extremely reserved as well, which makes it all even more unlikely.

If this really is legitimate though, it would probably be the coolest "celebrity Y-DNA" discovery made so far.

I agree. I dought it's legit. Would be all over the Internet and it's not.

I see what you mean, I agree it could be not him.
But if it is not him, why bother and take such a very unmainstream and specific Haplogroup such as G2a1. If it was fake I would expect someone to take a more mainstream and well known Haplogroup. And this is not just some random website. It belongs to ftDNA as far as I know.

And just by the way, I have realized that people who seem in their private life very "reserved" are those who are usually interested in very specific and not so mainstream things. ANd it's not like he is the first star to have taken a DNA test. Jessica Alba, Muhammed Ali, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Dr. Oz. and many more have taken DNA tests. It has become more mainstream as some people might think.

I see what you mean, I agree it could be not him.
But if it is not him, why bother and take such a very unmainstream and specific Haplogroup such as G2a1. If it was fake I would expect someone to take a more mainstream and well known Haplogroup. And this is not just some random website. It belongs to ftDNA as far as I know.

And just by the way, I have realized that people who seem in their private life very "reserved" are those who are usually interested in very specific and not so mainstream things. ANd it's not like he is the first star to have taken a DNA test. Jessica Alba, Muhammed Ali, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Dr. Oz. and many more have taken DNA tests. It has become more mainstream as some people might think.

Well, considering Stalin is the most notorious confirmed G2a1 person, perhaps some random G2a1 guy, who happens to be a big Barça/Messi fan, wanted to improve his haplogroup's reputation? Haha. God knows why someone would do that, but there is always someone willing to do silly things like that. The more I think about it though, the more I realize that it really wouldn't be completely insane to think that some genetics researchers from, let's say, a Barcelona university spoke to Messi and gave him a brief explanation about haplogroups, showing him that many famous people have had their DNA tested and revealed etc. As Fluffy pointed out though, this would surely have made the news by now, at the very least in the scientific community. Well now I'm skeptical again...

let's say, a Barcelona university spoke to Messi and gave him a brief explanation about haplogroups, showing him that many famous people have had their DNA tested and revealed etc. As Fluffy pointed out though, this would surely have made the news by now, at the very least in the scientific community. Well now I'm skeptical again...

Thats a possibility. And after thinking about it. Even more plausible seems this scenario. What if Messi didn't take the test for ancestral reasons first, but health reason? He maybe wanted to learn more about his genetic health as we all know he had some issues with his height in younger years.

Also as mentioned above the site seems to belong to ftDNA, I have serious doubts that such a company would let someone fake a famous individual. Especially the part where it says G2a1 (tested) seems that they are confirming to have tested the individual who he claims to be (Messi).

And DNA research be it for health or ancetral reasons has become very mainstream. I know from top of my head at lest dozens of famous individuals who have taken one. And those were not in the news either. I didn't knew from news that Tom Hanks or Muhammed Ali had taken a DNA test until I saw it on the 23andme page.

But than it still could really be a fake.

Most probably a silly joke of some guy from the Caucasus

Messi.jpg

Thats a possibility. And after thinking about it. Even more plausible seems this scenario. What if Messi didn't take the test for ancestral reasons first, but health reason? He maybe wanted to learn more about his genetic health as we all know he had some issues with his height in younger years. Also as mentioned above the site seems to belong to ftDNA, I have serious doubts that such a company would let someone fake a famous individual. Especially the part where it says G2a1 (tested) seems that they are confirming to have tested the individual who he claims to be (Messi).And DNA research be it for health or ancetral reasons has become very mainstream. I know from top of my head at lest dozens of famous individuals who have taken one. And those were not in the news either. I didn't knew from news that Tom Hanks or Muhammed Ali had taken a DNA test until I saw it on the 23andme page.But than it still could really be a fake.

You can set up an account with invented STR markers and a fake name on Ysearch.

Only sure thing is that the STR markers are not fake in this particular case because it has the note FTDNA tested.

From other things I've read it appears there's also Spanish in there, and as a result perhaps a bit of Amerindian,

What does that have to do with Amerindian ancestry? You probably mean Argentine i.e. from Argentina, where there is a native Amerindian population around where his family could have picked up some traces of that ancestry.

What does that have to do with Amerindian ancestry? You probably mean Argentine i.e. from Argentina, where there is a native Amerindian population around where his family could have picked up some traces of that ancestry.

How typical. Relax. Obviously, I meant that there might be Amerindian admix from the Spanish-Argentinians. Virtually every Argentine result I've seen has some Amerindian. The only exceptions are the descendents of recent immigrants where all four grandparents were born in Europe.

The similarity between Messi and the Mithridates bust is eerie. The only difference is that Messi has smaller, deeper

lol they do look quite alike :)

The jaw as well as the eyes are wrong, although you can tell there is ancestry in common. As for the nose, I hardly think that's all due to the Alans, who were a very small group in terms of invasions. Plus, you can already see high bridged noses in Greek statuary of the Archaic period, as we've discussed before. I think it may be a legacy of the second wave of the Neolithic whose results we've seen in Sopot and Lengyel.

That was their "ideal" nose. I'm sure they put it in even if it wasn't there in nature at times.

f249_11.jpg

diana_bust.JPG

The jaw as well as the eyes are wrong, although you can tell there is ancestry in common. As for the nose, I hardly think that's all due to the Alans, who were a very small group in terms of invasions. Plus, you can already see high bridged noses in Greek statuary of the Archaic period, as we've discussed before. I think it may be a legacy of the second wave of the Neolithic whose results we've seen in Sopot and Lengyel.

That was their "ideal" nose. I'm sure they put it in even if it wasn't there in nature at times.

f249_11.jpg

diana_bust.JPG

When I went to Italy a few years ago, I noticed the amount of people who have this "Greek statue profile" - the high nose bridge forming a near 90 degree angle with the ground, combined with the shortish/smallish jawline but with a prominent chin. Of course not all Greeks and Italians have this appearance, but you see this type of look among them more commonly than among any other nationality. "One face, one race", isn't that what they say?

This thread has been viewed 53417 times.

Back