Guess this man

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
If you know, don't spoil it, and don't cheat...no need, it's pretty easy.

f562580338c0c3bda5c4eabb7129509d.jpg

aidan-7.jpg

In the second photo remindes me of Giorgos Samaras.

So Greek?

In the second photo remindes me of Giorgos Samaras.

So Greek?

I do see it in profile, but no, he isn't Greek.

I wasn't sure about his origins when I first saw him, either.

When I said it was easy, I meant that I thought people would recognize him.

That actor is from the Hobbit movies. So I'm gonna say Dwarf of the Lonely Mountain (Erebor).

That actor is from the Hobbit movies. So I'm gonna say Dwarf of the Lonely Mountain (Erebor).

I'm very tempted to issue an infraction for that thread disruption. Don't ever do that again.

In fact, I still might.

Aiden Turner...Irish actor...and in many pictures he looks southeastern European if not Near Eastern to me.
tumblr_mxe6coFgzk1qkbo6co1_400.jpg

CHENFxKWQAAm3hJ.jpg

Only in certain pictures would I have guessed British Isles.

View attachment 7351

latest

Could fit very well as Italian.

Could fit very well as Italian.

Indeed, at least the way he looks from certain angles. The coloring is like Marco Mengoni's, but I think Mengoni has less rugged, more Med features, yes?

200x200xmarco-mengoni-foto1-200x200.jpg.pagespeed.ic.5U_4cHc6uY.jpg
'

huge_avatar

Turner as Kili:
the-hobbit-kili-poster.jpg

Aiden Turner...Irish actor...and in many pictures he looks southeastern European if not Near Eastern to me.
tumblr_mxe6coFgzk1qkbo6co1_400.jpg

CHENFxKWQAAm3hJ.jpg

Only in certain pictures would I have guessed British Isles.

View attachment 7351

latest

It is not uncommon for Irish to have black hair (not in skin however) and also in Wales. Black Irish is a term used in the UK in reference to black haired Irish people (not as sub Saharan)

InfoboxTE.jpg

This is Welsh Tom Ellis doing the part of a Spanish Barman in Mirandas Sitcom on BBC :)

InfoboxTE.jpg

This is Welsh Tom Ellis doing the part of a Spanish Barman in Mirandas Sitcom on BBC :

Watching a BBC show is why I started wondering about Aiden Turner. I confess...I like romantic costume dramas. :) In this case, they've just started showing "Poldark" on our local public broadcasting station.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02jslnf

I don't think this specific kind of phenotype is particularly common anywhere in the British Isles, but it exists, and a good number of British actors seem to be drawn from that pool, at least the ones cast in fantasy and romance.

The casts of things like crime dramas seem to me to be more "typically" British, if a foreigner can even make such a judgment. I'm thinking of shows like "A Touch of Frost" or "Midsommer Murders", or "Endeavor".

Watching a BBC show is why I started wondering about Aiden Turner. I confess...I like romantic costume dramas. :) In this case, they've just started showing "Poldark" on our local public broadcasting station.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02jslnf

I don't think this specific kind of phenotype is particularly common anywhere in the British Isles, but it exists, and a good number of British actors seem to be drawn from that pool, at least the ones cast in fantasy and romance.

The casts of things like crime dramas seem to me to be more "typically" British, if a foreigner can even make such a judgment. I'm thinking of shows like "A Touch of Frost" or "Midsommer Murders", or "Endeavor".

you are correct but as a popular believe dark haired folks seem to be more common in Ireland and Wales and there were some myths about it too.

tj_painting.jpg

Welsh Tom Jones

I don't think this specific kind of phenotype is particularly common anywhere in the British Isles, but it exists

According to the British anthropologists of the 19th-20th century (Beddoe, Thurnam, Huxley, Phillips, etc.) these "darker" (compared to the more "Nordic" types) phenotypes are actually quite common, specially in the western parts of the British Isles.

As a Scot this doesn't surprise me. When on holiday in Southern Europe I usually get mistaken for Spanish/Italian and peole are surprised when they find I am Scottish. Most Scots and Irish peole I know are dark and although we have more red heads than most countries they are still only a small percentage of the population. My ancestors came from various Hebridean Islands and if you look at old photos of the Islanders it would be easy to assume they were Italian/Greek/Spanish.

As a Scot this doesn't surprise me. When on holiday in Southern Europe I usually get mistaken for Spanish/Italian and peole are surprised when they find I am Scottish. Most Scots and Irish peole I know are dark and although we have more red heads than most countries they are still only a small percentage of the population. My ancestors came from various Hebridean Islands and if you look at old photos of the Islanders it would be easy to assume they were Italian/Greek/Spanish.

Anthropologists have pointed out that the Highlands (and also some of the large urban areas of the south, like Glasgow) is the area of Scotland where these "darker" types are more common, so I suppose they also included the islands to the west (Orkney Islands to the north would not qualify; this island is consistently said by anthropologists to be in fact the lightest pigmented area of Scotland.)

According to the British anthropologists of the 19th-20th century (Beddoe, Thurnam, Huxley, Phillips, etc.) these "darker" (compared to the more "Nordic" types) phenotypes are actually quite common, specially in the western parts of the British Isles.

Please provide citations with page numbers showing the percentage of black/dark brown haired, brown eyed, dark skinned people in the British Isles.

I think there are a lot of dark-haired, light-eyed, fair-skinned (when not tan) people in the British Isles, and more so perhaps in the western parts of it. I also think there's a minority of dark-haired, dark-eyed and fair skinned people. Aiden Turner is different to my eyes, as is Tom Jones, in that they're not only dark-haired, dark-eyed and pretty olive skinned, but their features are different. Colin Farrell, for example, is dark in pigmentation, but I'd never guess him to be southern European, despite the coloring, whereas Turner puzzled me. I went to his bio page expecting to see foreign admixture, but it wasn't there.
136259i451E49864D962560

SNF04COLIN1-_1631647a.jpg

medium_UKOjubtgJ25lKFCWW6ZN_TlkPu_WEveP3m-08LlZm48.jpg

Mj03N.jpg

Apparently there was differentiation even in early periods because the Romans made a point of saying that the Silures of Wales looked like Iberians, but did not so describe the Celtic tribes further to the west.

Last edited:
As to Orcadians, this is what they look like...

b67f165e87c9f026373364141674331414f6744.jpg

Erland_artistas.gif

The-Magnetic-North-photo-1-WEB.jpg

web-1108-Sheree-YTS-WUX.jpg

Anthropologists have pointed out that the Highlands (and also some of the large urban areas of the south, like Glasgow) is the area of Scotland where these "darker" types are more common, so I suppose they also included the islands to the west (Orkney Islands to the north would not qualify; this island is consistently said by anthropologists to be in fact the lightest pigmented area of Scotland.)

Yes, I think Bryan Sykes mentioned something similar in The Blood of the Isles. I remember reading something about Beddoe's studies and he noted the propensity for dark hair and skin in the Scottish Higlands and Islands. Glasgow and the west of Scotland had a massive influx of Highlanders from the 18th century onwards so I could see why there may be a higher percentage of dark hair/skin. The Northern Isles would be less so due to the Norse influence.

This thread has been viewed 9980 times.

Back