Italy Unpacked-BBC Series-Emilia Rogmagna

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
The BBC does a wonderful job with its travel series, a number of which are about Italy (unlike PBS here, whose "Dream of Italy" series is amateurish at best), but this series is my favorite. It is hosted and narrated by a well known art historian and all around intellectual, Andrew Graham-Dixon, and by Giorgio Locatelli, an Italian chef. Between them, they've got it all covered. You even get a virtual ride in a Ferrari! :) The obvious friendship and affection they feel for each other, along with the wit and humor, add a special gloss.

This particular episode is about Emilia Romagna. My father's city, Parma, is covered at the end.

The Art of the Feast:

The direct link, since the videos seem to get truncated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW9-b3J3-DY

Last edited:
The BBC does a wonderful job with its travel series, a number of which are about Italy (unlike PBS here, whose "Dream of Italy" series is amateurish at best), but this series is my favorite. It is hosted and narrated by a well known art historian and all around intellectual, Andrew Graham-Dixon, and by Giorgio Locatelli, an Italian chef. Between them, they've got it all covered. You even get a virtual ride in a Ferrari! :) The obvious friendship and affection they feel for each other, along with the wit and humor, add a special gloss.

This particular episode is about Emilia Romagna. My father's city, Parma, is covered at the end.

The Art of the Feast:
The direct link, since the videos seem to get truncated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW9-b3J3-DY

I agree, BBC documentaries in general are factual and captivating most of the time, always a pleasure to watch

I agree, BBC documentaries in general are factual and captivating most of the time, always a pleasure to watch

I particularly like that the makers of this series concentrate on areas off the normal tourist track, and that Graham-Dixon doesn't overwhelm his friend or the viewer with too many pieces of art, choosing those particularly emblematic of the area and/or interesting in a whimsical or funny way. Indeed, the humor is a big part of what I like about the series. Men might not agree, but I thought the highlighting of the "peeled" penis was quite funny, as was the whole bit about how the "mattarello" is used for wayward husbands as well as for rolling pasta. :) Their enjoyment of everything is infectious and I often found myself laughing along with them. Graham Dixon was a revelation for me...passionate, expressive, ready to join in and be part of everything, and a great performer in his own way. I just loved how he kept on saying, "Facciamo un brindisi!" :)

This thread has been viewed 5130 times.

Back