Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
This is the link:
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-4939-1562-0_25

Relationship Between IQ and Success-Rogen.jpg

Not a surprise really. However "success" is defined, IQ is only one factor.

IMO some of the most interesting data points are some of the ones where there's no significant correlation: Popularity, happiness, physical attractiveness. High IQ = unpopular, unhappy, ugly geek doesn't seem to hold up, whereas High IQ = good at jobs and even better in school holds up just fine.

Well, I haven't reviewed the studies cited, so I can't comment on their quality, but speaking just anecdotally I've personally never been struck by the good looks, charm, and social skills of most of the people at MENSA meetings. There are always exceptions, of course.

IQ tests were discredited about a year ago, if not more, as being nothing more than book smarts; so not a true test of actual intelligence. Makes sense - you can have a high IQ but can't parallel park worth crap [because parallel parking requires intelligence to figure out how to turn the wheel, distance, etc.] then you're not intelligent you're smart.

IQ tests were discredited about a year ago, if not more, as being nothing more than book smarts; so not a true test of actual intelligence. Makes sense - you can have a high IQ but can't parallel park worth crap [because parallel parking requires intelligence to figure out how to turn the wheel, distance, etc.] then you're not intelligent you're smart.

Agree to disagree IQ test do tell you about your intelligence, but depending on your mood, your level of education and how well trained you are in this. It can vary around 10-15 points!
YOu don't need intelligence to park a car. You simply need experience and good instincts.

Agree to disagree IQ test do tell you about your intelligence, but depending on your mood, your level of education and how well trained you are in this. It can vary around 10-15 points!
YOu don't need intelligence to park a car. You simply need experience and good instincts.

agreed

however i have seem some stupid IQ tests, which have sociological questions, so they actually lower your IQ if you dont think mainstream, and as well there are tests you can improve on by practice, and practice is just repetition and gaining experience, which does not literally improve your intelligence, it just makes you more adept and solving certain type of problems.

The funniest thing about IQ tests tho, is those people who compete in IQ tests, usually practice IQ tests as a form of training, which defeats puropose of an IQ test.

However, having said that, you still have to have good intelligence, to do good on more serious tests, so in the end it they actually make sense to a degree

Why is it then that the children with grades less than average become the most successful in the adult life..

Yes @Maleth it is emotional inteligence and it is uncountable.

I get touched from this thread , because the very reason which drive me to Eupedia was a search about I.Q issues.

What you remind me guys... I am getting emotional. :-D

Yes @Maleth it is emotional inteligence and it is uncountable.

ΠΑΝΑ, hopefully it seems that it has been growing in importance. All the training in the world (which is costly but necessary) will mean nothing and fizzle out if any going concern, from small to huge will have leaders high in IQ and poor in EQ. Seems to me that many are taking this reality into practice if one is to expect any degree of success ;)

https://hbr.org/2016/02/how-to-hire-for-emotional-intelligence

Same with Nietzsche. Probably very intelligent, but couldn't manage to wind up with the one woman he truly loved. Allowed his mom and sis to interfere and sabotage and wound up sad and alone in a mental institution. Just one of many examples. Pretty sure Kafka would also fit in there somewhere ...

When I am viewing Van Gogh, I reconsider what is intelligence and what is success...

379px-Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Sorrow.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_van_Gogh

This thread has been viewed 7997 times.

Back