Ethnic group
Euro-Caribbean
Y-DNA haplogroup
Q1
mtDNA haplogroup
H1a
Can't edit so I'll add:

My male line back a couple generations: http://i.imgur.com/rg6kGnk.jpg

I have a 'characteristic tree' that I made of all the photos that I have going as far back as I have, I'll post it later - I don't want it to influence the responses that much just yet!

You make this a little too easy when your country flag is visible.

Regardless it's clear you're a mix of European and SSA.

Tried to remove it, got an error that wouldn't allow it... Figured that since Barbados has no indigenous, you'd have to guess the ethnicity of my ancestors who came over based on how I look alone. I suppose the history of Barbados might give clues, but that just happens to be where I was born, my parents were not born here. I see Barbadian as my nationality, not necessarily my ethnicity -- which I'm still working out!

Will leave it for a while in case anybody else arrives and wants to throw some guesses in, so far the answer hasn't been very specific, it would be interesting to see European broken down a bit if possible and any other features that may be present [it's more than European and SSA]

You make this a little too easy when your country flag is visible.

Regardless it's clear you're a mix of European and SSA.

Before I looked at your country, I was going to guess Greek or Arab. You do have a general "mixed" appearance. You could probably pass as Greek, Sicilian, Turkish, or Egyptian in some areas.

Before I looked at your country, I was going to guess Greek or Arab. You do have a general "mixed" appearance. You could probably pass as Greek, Sicilian, Turkish, or Egyptian in some areas.

Sorry, Robert, but our poster would not pass as Greek or Sicilian. Neither could he really pass as Turkish or Egyptian. Those are basically West European features with obvious SSA, probably at least one quarter. Until very recently, there were no one quarter SSA Italians. Plus, the features are really off.

Even the odd Sicilian whom ****** love to post as having a bit of an "African" look, always choosing pictures taken after they've spent all summer on a beach, of course, don't look like our poster. They look like this:

http://www.celluloidportraits.com/img/Registiattori/imgREGISTIeATTORI7/Beppe Fiorello 201_5463_L.jpg

http://www.kino-teatr.ru/acter/album/60114/192908.jpg
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Enrico+Lo+Verso+tPIkRWn_Yxnm.jpg

There are now, given modern migration patterns, some mixed Italian/SSA people, as I said, but even then they have a different look.

Last edited:
Interesting, interesting. The SSA is about 7%. There's some other things you've missed. :grin:

Here in Barbados I am considered white, totally white. I generally have to tell people that I have a mixed heritage, and then they can see it [but not know what it is, because it's slight]. I self-identify as white, or "Euro-Caribbean". The distinctions here are quite different, I think. Was curious to know what I would be considered by Europeans.

Here's the breakdown:

32% British/Irish
21.9% broadly Northern European ?
6.9% sub saharan African
6.8% south asian (Indian)
6.6 Broadly southern European ?
6.1 Iberian (spanish/portuguese)
5.5% French & German
5.2 Broadly European
3.9% native american
1.625% ashkenazi
0.8% middle eastern/northern african
0.4 Scandinavian

97.7% total

Great grandmother was from Dutch Suriname of Dutch/German heritage [with some African along the way in Suriname, her daughter who I had tested has an L3 haplogroup]
Great^3 grandfather came from Corsica, his wife had a Spanish name but don't know anything about her
Great^2 grandmother was Amerindian (Native Caribbean)
Great^2 grandfather came over from Scotland (Argyll)
Great^2 grandmother was Indian [originating in Karnataka]
Great^2 was French Creole, family originating in Lorraine and Provence a few generations before.

All the rest were in the Caribbean for generations, originating in England, Scotland, Ireland and Africa

Here's the Characteristic Tree I talked about, the people mentioned above are all on here, can you guess which is which hahah,
http://i.imgur.com/MX5xCSZ.jpg

Last edited:
Does anybody see those percentages in the photos? One poster said 'obvious SSA' 'probably at least 25%', is it the 7% Indian alongside the 7% SSA that is throwing it off?
The SSA is not so obvious to people here, I've never been accused of having SSA :) nobody has ever guessed Indian or Native American either.
People have always said 'Spanish'...

Saying someone looks admixed is not an "accusation", because there's nothing wrong with it. It's just a statement of fact.

What I should have said was around a quarter "other", as in "other than European". That's the percentage that a lot of more European looking Puerto Rican's have, for example, split between SSA and Amerindian. Of course, there are some Puerto Ricans with a lot less, and many with a lot more. Going by the results you posted, the Amerindian, SSA and Indian combined come up to just under 20%, so I was high.

If you're talking about Americans saying you look "Spanish", for Americans that term applies to Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Central Americans, and Cubans, all mixed peoples to one degree or another, so they're basically saying the same thing that I'm saying. Most people here have never seen a real Spaniard in their entire lives.

Maybe 'accusation' was the wrong term to use :)

Yes, if you go with 'a quarter non-European' then you were pretty close! I was wondering if anybody was able to single out the admixtures, or if that's close to impossible.. For example, high percentage of British/Irish - does it show, or does the French/German show more. I am terrible at guessing ethnicity other than the ones I am accustomed to here (with the blanket terms of 'white' and 'black' without getting specific!)

Maybe 'accusation' was the wrong term to use :)

Yes, if you go with 'a quarter non-European' then you were pretty close! I was wondering if anybody was able to single out the admixtures, or if that's close to impossible.. For example, high percentage of British/Irish - does it show, or does the French/German show more. I am terrible at guessing ethnicity other than the ones I am accustomed to here (with the blanket terms of 'white' and 'black' without getting specific!)

I think the ability to generally "place" someone depends on exposure and perhaps to some degree to the ability to see patterns visually. I see lots of Spanish and Amerindian and SSA admixed people, and many British and SSA admixed people, so I think I can recognize a similar look. I have much less to do with East Asian people, so I'm hopeless at knowing from observation who's Chinese versus Korean versus Japanese. As far as British versus German, it can be difficult to tell even when people are 100% of that ethnicity. When the Northern Euro is mixed with other races it would just be a guess. I do have to say I don't see anything Mediterranean or French.

Well, when people got here they started to mix 'AT LEAST' with other Europeans — some of whom had already been mixed with Native or African if they had been here for a while.

Curiously, since you are Italian [hint hint]... can you place this man to some Italian populations?

01plCWz.png

Well, when people got here they started to mix 'AT LEAST' with other Europeans — some of whom had already been mixed with Native or African if they had been here for a while.

Curiously, since you are Italian [hint hint]... can you place this man to some Italian populations?

View attachment 7618

View attachment 7618

Strangely, the first person who came to mind was Wordsworth, but that's probably just because I was reading in my "Collected Works of the British Romantic Poets" last night. That, and the nose:
Wordsworth-010.jpg

Anyway, if I had to guess I'd say from Toscana north, including Corsica.

How about this for general resemblance?
73631_ori_marcello_lippi.jpg

This isn't as good:
promote2.jpg

How about this one:
Carlo_Buonaparte.jpg

None of them are exact. It's particularly hard to find modern people anymore that have those noses. I sometimes think more intermarriage hasn't gotten rid of or softened down certain features. Just my musings...

I honestly am bad at European groups... Carlo Buonaparte could be George Washington's brother for all I can tell.

The man I posted was Corsican, Agostini surname, though I have no ideas on the origin of his family there or in the mainland.
If you look here: http://i.imgur.com/MX5xCSZ.jpg you can find the Corsican and see how the features changed quickly over time.

I honestly am bad at European groups... Carlo Buonaparte could be George Washington's brother for all I can tell.

The man I posted was Corsican, Agostini surname, though I have no ideas on the origin of his family there or in the mainland.
If you look here: http://i.imgur.com/MX5xCSZ.jpg you can find the Corsican and see how the features changed quickly over time.

Lots of nice looking people, Jamt. :)

Has anyone ever told you that you resemble your paternal grandmother?

Does that great smile come from your paternal grandfather? :)

As for your maternal grandfather, he looks French to me, and a great deal like his grandfather. Is this the French Creole line?

Haven't heard that I look like my paternal grandmother, but definitely been told that I look like my dad, so I guess by extension! Don't really look like his father.

My father's father, I never met him but I'm told people used to call him "Barbadian Errol Flynn", apparently they had a similar look. That crooked smile? :)

Maternal grandfather definitely looked a lot like his grandfather, he had some strong features that carried across the line, my uncle looks just like him too. The bearded man was a Scotsman who emigrated, his wife was the French Creole - with family names like "Pierre Antoine Marie Alphonse Ganteaume de Monteau" and "Jean-Henri Cluet du May de Liancourt" and all of them intermarried within the island — they liked to style themselves as being from "L'Ancien Regime", and I suppose they were.
You can get an idea of them here: http://caribbeanhistoryarchives.blogspot.com/2011/09/french-creoles.html

@Jamt
personallyI stayed a bit in doubts:
something "non-caucasoid" or "non -europeanoid" (sorry for the "oids") but very uneasy to precise; nothing evocating 'mongoloid' but I would not have discarded a south-Dravidian (melano-indian). Whatever the autosomals scores, the external features contained so few exotic imput that it becomes difficult to assign a precise origin of the forerign features, for me. non-everted thick lips and fleshy rounded nose tip are common in some world regions. All the way the bony part of nose bridge has nothing SSA-like.

This thread has been viewed 6067 times.

Back