ancient J1b-F4306(xZS80) Satsurblia Late Upper Palaeolithic Caucasus

bicicleur 2

Reaction score
Chris Rottensteiner :

I was able to extract the Y-chr BAM file for 13300 ybp Late Upper Palaeolithic Caucasus (
Satsurblia cave, Western Georgia, sample SATP) in Jones et al 2015.
The data is low-coverage: when calls exist there are mostly only 1-3 reads (BAM Y-chr file 11 Mb).
Satsurblia is a full developed J (97 J-SNPs checked, 49 positive, 48 have no-calls), negative for J2 (21 SNPs checked, 12 negative, 9 no-calls) so I went on to do a quick check for J1.
J1 positive for: L255 (14937880 A->C), CTS426/PF4641/YSC307 (6745512 C->T), CTS10759 (22761824 G->A), CTS11188/PF4784 (22997977 G->T), CTS11636/PF4785 (23200045 T->C)
J1b positive for: CTS6101/PF3543 (16674560 G->A), F4306 (21492032 G->T), FGC20301/Y6337/ZS3624 (24468458 A->G), FGC20303/Y6336/ZS3620 (23650760 A->G),
J1b negative for: CTS3219/ZS80 (14738001 G->A),
So possibly this is
a) the ancestor (or a near relative of him) of all J1b-F4306 men
b) a split leading to an extinct J1b-F4306(xZS80) branch

YFull YTree v3.17 time estimates seem to support hypothesis a) with J1b formed 18400 ybp, TMRCA 10600 ybp.
J1b has Finnish (272108/YF02055), Irish (211228), Colombian (HG01253, HG01256) and an unknown origin (422638) NGS samples.
Sources: http://www.yfull.com/tree/J-Y6304/ http://genogenea.com/J-M267/tree

Even more interesting now to which J subclade the 5500-5000 BC Karelian-Finno Ugric hunter gatherer near Finland (EHG, Yuzhnyy Oleni Ostrov, Karelia, sample I0211/UzOO40) in Mathieson et al 2015 belongs to.

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthr...per-Palaeolithic-Caucasus&p=121614#post121614

J1b is what we call nowadays the Iranic branch, because it is predominantly found among Iranic groups and nations who are said to had contact to them (Britain, Iberia, Germany).

J1b nowadays is almost non existent in the Caucasus. And the fact that this Haplogroup is so diverse and frequent on the Iranian Plateau (mostly the Western and Northern parts), I think is another indiciation for the possibility that those CHG people might have started off from the Iranian Platea, possibly in connection with some other Haplogroups (R1b or R1a?), while one wave went to Georgia another went directly through the Caucasus or Central Asia into the Steppes.

Many people speculate that the J1 in the Sarmatian samples was also possibly part of the J1b branch cause the article stated that the J1 in these Sarmatians doesn't belong to any branch of the modern Caucasus but resembles that of people from West Iran and West India.

This should interest the member Ricardo and he can probably also tell us more.

Kotias Klde
Ted Kendall :
An analysis of the J2a-Y12378 Y-DNA of the Kotias Klde Hunter-Gatherer from Georgia 9895-9529 cal. BP. He's positive for 8 of 15 unambiguous J-Y12378 equivalent SNPs, and negative for 7 of 15. This fits well with a "halfway there" J-Y12378, because the present day samples have a YFull tMRCA of 9200 ybp: http://yfull.com/tree/J-Y12378/

Grotte du Bichon I2a*
Jason Neuharth :
After 4 days of working with a 18Gb bam file Ted Kandell I have the Y snps calls and Mtdna for Switzerland Grotte du Bichon M 13,560–13,770 cal. BP I2a U5b1h
He is positive for L460/PF3647/S238 = I2a and nothing downstream. His Mtdna is the same U5b1h.

J1b is what we call nowadays the Iranic branch, because it is predominantly found among Iranic groups and nations who are said to had contact to them (Britain, Iberia, Germany).

J1b nowadays is almost non existent in the Caucasus. And the fact that this Haplogroup is so diverse and frequent on the Iranian Plateau (mostly the Western and Northern parts), I think is another indiciation for the possibility that those CHG people might have started off from the Iranian Platea, possibly in connection with some other Haplogroups (R1b or R1a?), while one wave went to Georgia another went directly through the Caucasus or Central Asia into the Steppes.

Many people speculate that the J1 in the Sarmatian samples was also possibly part of the J1b branch cause the article stated that the J1 in these Sarmatians doesn't belong to any branch of the modern Caucasus but resembles that of people from West Iran and West India.

This should interest the member Ricardo and he can probably also tell us more.

Georgia might not have been a refugium for anything, because the South Caucasus region appears to lack any discernable settlements during the peak glacial period (22-18). This suggests that the J guys came from further south - ? Northern Mesopotamia. But it's difficult to tell - the Palaeolithic in the Levant and mid east is poorly researched

these guys came from north of the Black Sea, which was the LGM refugium for the Eastern Epi-Gravettians
17 ka some Eastern Epi-Gravettians crossed the Caucasus or came along the eastern shores of the Black Sea

@Goga,

You're confusing J1b with another haplogroup. I'm pretty sure J1b only has a handful of representatives.

Loschbourg on YFull :

TMRCA with M423 : 13.7 ka

http://www.yfull.com/tree/I-M423/

loschbourg.jpg

@Goga,

You're confusing J1b with another haplogroup. I'm pretty sure J1b only has a handful of representatives.

You probably meant me? no I am not confusing this Haplogroups with any other. Haplogroup J1b is so far predominantly found in people of North Iran and Kurds in Eastern Anatolia.

I have researched a bit on 23andme on this Haplogroup and in the Near East the only individuals with this Haplogroup so far were Kurds, Iranian People and a Jordanian guy who says His paternal origin is of Kurds from Jordan. Beside them I only remember Ricardo and some British guy.

It is a specific branch connected to West Iranic speakers in Anatolia no other people beside the Kurds have actually a decent frequency of this Haplogroup there.

http://j1bm365.blogspot.de/

Georgia might not have been a refugium for anything, because the South Caucasus region appears to lack any discernable settlements during the peak glacial period (22-18). This suggests that the J guys came from further south - ? Northern Mesopotamia. But it's difficult to tell - the Palaeolithic in the Levant and mid east is poorly researched

these guys came from north of the Black Sea, which was the LGM refugium for the Eastern Epi-Gravettians
17 ka some Eastern Epi-Gravettians crossed the Caucasus or came along the eastern shores of the Black Sea

I doubt that the came from north of the Black Sea, I rather believe they are a refugium (as the paper indicates) of a H&G group who are siblings to pre EHG, WHG and ANE reached the region from further South. I believe this region was the place between the Zagros and Alborz mountains, two things indicate this. 1. I have speculated for long that the Zagros mountains are the source for Haplogroup J because it is very diverse there and J1b is virtually connected to North and West Iran. 2. Findings of IJ samples on the Iranian Platea 3. diversity of R Haplogroups in the Iranian Plateau.

I think the Iranian Pleateau plays a central role for the Pre Gravettian H&G groups. And Mesopotamia might have been also effect by the same groups. But thats just my opinion.

You probably meant me? no I am not confusing this Haplogroups with any other. Haplogroup J1b is so far predominantly found in people of North Iran and Kurds in Eastern Anatolia.

I have researched a bit on 23andme on this Haplogroup and in the Near East the only individuals with this Haplogroup so far were Kurds, Iranian People and a Jordanian guy who says His paternal origin is of Kurds from Jordan. Beside them I only remember Ricardo and some British guy.

It is a specific branch connected to West Iranic speakers in Anatolia no other people beside the Kurds have actually a decent frequency of this Haplogroup there.

YFull mentions 3 Georgians and 1 Chechnian

I doubt that the came from north of the Black Sea, I rather believe they are a refugium (as the paper indicates) of a H&G group who are siblings to pre EHG, WHG and ANE reached the region from further South. I believe this region was the place between the Zagros and Alborz mountains, two things indicate this. 1. I have speculated for long that the Zagros mountains are the source for Haplogroup J because it is very diverse there and J1b is virtually connected to North and West Iran. 2. Findings of IJ samples on the Iranian Platea 3. diversity of R Haplogroups in the Iranian Plateau.

I think the Iranian Pleateau plays a central role for the Pre Gravettian H&G groups. And Mesopotamia might have been also effect by the same groups. But thats just my opinion.

is there any proof of LGM continuity in that area ?

Ortvale Klde and Dzudzuana cave +/- 42 ka in Georgia are probably pre-Gravetttian, but Gravettian itself developped in eastern Europe +/- 33 ka

YFull mentions 3 Georgians and 1 Chechnian

predominantly as I said, that doesn't mean there is no other people with this Haplgroup. Ricardo is being researching on this Haplogroup for long time and has many samples, he says it is typical for West Iranic speakers. I would ask him for more.

Here is his website.

http://j1bm365.blogspot.de/

Grotte du Bichon I2a*
Jason Neuharth :
After 4 days of working with a 18Gb bam file Ted Kandell I have the Y snps calls and Mtdna for Switzerland Grotte du Bichon M 13,560–13,770 cal. BP I2a U5b1h
He is positive for L460/PF3647/S238 = I2a and nothing downstream. His Mtdna is the same U5b1h.

Absolutely nothing unexpected came out of this genome. And while I write this sentence, I realize how spoiled I have become ;)

is there any proof of LGM continuity in that area ?

Ortvale Klde and Dzudzuana cave +/- 42 ka in Georgia are probably pre-Gravetttian, but Gravettian itself developped in eastern Europe +/- 33 ka

No there is no prove for that, but I am not sure there is any proof of genetic backflow from north of the Blacksea also. CHG/Teal acts like the missing link between Basal EUrasian (G, H) and EHG, WHG, ANE (IJK) that could be interpreted in two ways A: It is a fusion/mixing of both B: it is a close relativ (uncle) of pre Gravettian, further upstream and therefore shows still stronger shared ancestry to Basal Eurasian because the seperation wasn't so long ago. Could explain why more ancient Eurasian samples such as Kostenki still show Basal Eurasian admixture.

The fact that CHG doesn't really seem to show ANE/WHG admixture but only shared ancestry which shows up as "ANE" and "WHG-UHG", indicates rather the second (B) option.

Absolutely nothing unexpected came out of this genome. And while I write this sentence, I realize how spoiled I have become ;)

yes but all mesolithic/early neolithic samples are west-Europe/Balkan/NW Anatolia

none in eastern Europe (alltough Kunda culture probably was I)

yes but all mesolithic/early neolithic samples are west-Europe/Balkan/NW Anatolia

none in eastern Europe (alltough Kunda culture probably was I)

The genome was presented as Upper Paleolithic, but Azilian culture is basically a transitional culture at the end of the UP Magdanelean. We could use older UP ones from the area of France and Iberia as there is the refugium of the LGM. Also, the Red Lady of el Miron might prove interesting as she is from the last millenium of the LGM, and yielded mtDNA H IIRC.

http://www.livescience.com/50274-red-lady-burial-site.html
http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthr...H-from-the-Franco-Cantabrian-site-of-el-Miron!!!!

My perception of linguistic groups is now being nudged back to periods that are too early for the lexicon, among the fringe.

And it feels so liberating.

Dare I say that I'm very close to making a bet that the Gravettians were the actual proto-proto IEs? They would speak some sort of a pre-farming Proto - Indocaucasoeuropean. This would be the UP root of IE and Caucasian with proto - Uralic arriving later. So basically Teal/CHG and WHG were early gravettians and later contact with proto - Uralic peoples resulted in ANE. (Mal'ta settlement was essentially Gravettian or very close to it IIRC). So you would have underlying genetic and linguistic relations from Karelia to at least the Caucuses through the LGM.

@Goga,

You mean somebody else. I have no knowledge about J1.

You mean somebody else. I have no knowledge about J1.

You're right. Many if not most haplogroups don't have a name. They're labelled only with SNPs. So J1b to you is another haplogroup to others. It's very annoying keeping track of it all.

This thread has been viewed 18828 times.

Back