Artist's Guide to Human Types by Joumana Medlej

arvistro

Elite member
Reaction score
Not very precise for nations with mixed populations, but it catches characteristic of a region with many details.
Thanks

Well, in Italy you'd find many of those "types". The particular mix might differ by area but on the other hand, contrary to what he asserts, you can find "Alpines" all over Italy, and "Mediterraneans" too.

Just to give you an idea what I mean. These people are all from one tiny village in the Emilian Alps. I doubt it ever had more than a thousand people. Click to enlarge.

Monchio-Divina Zammarchi-Riata.jpg
Monchio-uomo.jpg
Monchio-gente3.jpg
Monchio-le strage-i descendenti.jpg
Monchio gente 6.jpg

Continued

Continued:Again, just click to enlarge. I don't see just one "type", and many individuals are a combination of types.

Monchio le strage-i descindenti.jpg

Monchio-prete-Riana.PNG
Monchio-strage-i descendenti.jpg

Monchio-ragazze.jpg
Monchio-sposi.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, it looks like rather rough descriptor and I believe it lacks nuance in South Europe.
In North Europe it gives - Slavic, Nordic, Baltic and some Alpine too.
In South Europe it just gives Mediterranean from Spain to Balkans. Ok, also Greeks, probably because of artist's needs to be more detailed re Greeks.

As to Alpines in Italy. Some of Alpines characteristics is low body hair (scanty body hair). Apart from North Italy, are such cases frequent? Difficulties with beard and chest hair? I do not know that is why ask. My impression was that is never problem for Italians, but I do not know.

Not very precise for nations with mixed populations, but it catches characteristic of a region with many details.
Thanks
Well, Poland has three types mentioned.

Latvia is mentioned just for Baltics, although we have several others too, but then Baltic probably indeed is the dominant type here.

Yeah, it looks like rather rough descriptor and I believe it lacks nuance in South Europe.
In North Europe it gives - Slavic, Nordic, Baltic and some Alpine too.
In South Europe it just gives Mediterranean from Spain to Balkans. Ok, also Greeks, probably because of artist's needs to be more detailed re Greeks.

As to Alpines in Italy. Some of Alpines characteristics is low body hair (scanty body hair). Apart from North Italy, are such cases frequent? Difficulties with beard and chest hair? I do not know that is why ask. My impression was that is never problem for Italians, but I do not know.

Well, I've never done a scientific survey on the matter, so my limited personal experience is all I have to offer. :) I can tell you that there are indeed southern Italian men who have no chest hair, much less back hair etc., and who in addition can grow a mustache and goatee or trim beard along the jaw but who don't have hair growing up onto their cheeks or necks. I don't think of it as a problem; I quite prefer it.

That doesn't necessarily correlate with what would be an "Alpine" classification either. The men I'm thinking of are very tall and would probably be defined as having a strong degree of "Dinaric" in them.

My point is that a lot of people are mixes of different "types", including me.

Ed. I thought of giving some examples from professional athletes, but it's hard to tell, because I'm sure they all wax. Still, I doubt someone like Fabio Cannavaro is naturally really hairy.

This thread has been viewed 4142 times.

Back