Paleolithic site found in Kurdistan

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
I thought some of our posters might be particularly interested.

"Traces of Iran's Stone Age Hunters Found in Kurdistan":
http://www.archaeology.org/news/4038-151230-iran-paleolithic-kurdistan

"KURDISTAN, IRAN—Excavations in western Iran have uncovered Paleolithic stone tools, burned animal bones, and hearths. The campsites were found in caves and rock shelters along the Sirwan River. “The new finds provide researchers with valuable information about the way of life, game hunting, and tool making cultures of the primitive hunting societies and food collectors,” project leader Fereidoun Biglari told Tasnim News. The artifacts date from more than 40,000 years ago to the end of the last Ice Age, some 12,000 years ago, and provide the earliest known evidence of human activity in Iranian Kurdistan. “Primary examination of animal bones indicates that Ice Age hunters were more focused on wild goat herds that lived in the rugged mountains of Hawraman, high above the Sirwan River,” Biglari explained."

There might have been some mention of this before; I'm not sure.

I thought some of our posters might be particularly interested.

"Traces of Iran's Stone Age Hunters Found in Kurdistan":
http://www.archaeology.org/news/4038-151230-iran-paleolithic-kurdistan

"KURDISTAN, IRAN—Excavations in western Iran have uncovered Paleolithic stone tools, burned animal bones, and hearths. The campsites were found in caves and rock shelters along the Sirwan River. “The new finds provide researchers with valuable information about the way of life, game hunting, and tool making cultures of the primitive hunting societies and food collectors,” project leader Fereidoun Biglari told Tasnim News. The artifacts date from more than 40,000 years ago to the end of the last Ice Age, some 12,000 years ago, and provide the earliest known evidence of human activity in Iranian Kurdistan. “Primary examination of animal bones indicates that Ice Age hunters were more focused on wild goat herds that lived in the rugged mountains of Hawraman, high above the Sirwan River,” Biglari explained."

There might have been some mention of this before; I'm not sure.
Specialized goat hunters. It will be interesting to learn if they had domesticated the goats before farmers came and help them with this concept. After all goats were the first domesticated animals. Well, after dogs.

It will be interested to check whether people survived during LGM there.
Those Mousterian goat hunters, I wonder whether they were Neanderthals.

Hope to hear more when results will be published.

I hope they also found some skeletal remains of these paloelithic humans.

This thread has been viewed 3283 times.

Back