Evidence for Early Pleistocene Afro-Iberian dispersals

Ziober

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Celtiberian
That's it!

1-s2.0-S0047248415001967-gr11.jpg

English L. press:
http://popular-archaeology.com/issu...persal-into-spain-through-strait-of-gibraltar

Spanish L. press:
http://terraeantiqvae.com/profiles/...anos-arcaicos-se-dispersaron-por#.VpYt1H12HNd

Article (English):

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0047248415001967

cool, always seemed likely to me there would have been a flow up the atlantic coast as well - maybe smaller than the main one but there

That's what I thought looking at admixtures of Mesolithic hunter gatherers from Iberia. There must have been contact with contemporary hunters from Africa. I wasn't sure if the contact happened in Iberia by new arrivals from Africa or in Marocco by Iberian HGs going back and forth during last LGM period, looking for a refugium. This African signal was also present in Swedish HG too, carried there by HGs after glacials were gone.

That's what I thought looking at admixtures of Mesolithic hunter gatherers from Iberia. There must have been contact with contemporary hunters from Africa. I wasn't sure if the contact happened in Iberia by new arrivals from Africa or in Marocco by Iberian HGs going back and forth during last LGM period, looking for a refugium. This African signal was also present in Swedish HG too, carried there by HGs after glacials were gone.

Nothing impossible (why?)
But let's keep in mind the admixtures results at EurogenesK15, DodecadK12 and DodecadV3 which showed all of them some African component in Ust'Ishim and Kostenki14 (+ some % of Oceanian): Ust'Ushim seems old enough for not having been influenced by post LGM recolonization of Northern Lands (U'I showed from 8,35% to 16,30% of something African (North, Subsaharian, Paleo-) according to calculators. Some Archaic African remnants in genome??? Mal'ta was more Eastern, so this can explains his very insignifiant % of "african" DNA; but a sa whole the results show also a decreasing gradiant of African or Oceanian DNA as time passed... Maybe I 'm confused
?

Nothing impossible (why?)
But let's keep in mind the admixtures results at EurogenesK15, DodecadK12 and DodecadV3 which showed all of them some African component in Ust'Ishim and Kostenki14 (+ some % of Oceanian): Ust'Ushim seems old enough for not having been influenced by post LGM recolonization of Northern Lands (U'I showed from 8,35% to 16,30% of something African (North, Subsaharian, Paleo-) according to calculators. Some Archaic African remnants in genome??? Mal'ta was more Eastern, so this can explains his very insignifiant % of "african" DNA; but a sa whole the results show also a decreasing gradiant of African or Oceanian DNA as time passed... Maybe I 'm confused
?
I think the older samples show archaic African admixture, or perhaps Kostenki14 shows contemporary to him migration from Africa to this region.
However in case of Iberian post Glacial period show new admixture, I think. I'm saying that because they plot on PCA towards Africa, more south than other HGs, unlike Koestenki and others more ancient. Can't find the best PCA, (maybe later):
PCA.png

The African - and possibly some of the Oceanian - admixture in paleolithic AMH sample doesn't show up in D-stats. If one adds a Neandertal or Denisovan genome to an admixture run it will show almost completely African while being absolutely different from them and having absolutely no admixture (See Genetikers runs for examples). This is simply shared ancestral, i.e. SNPs that did not yet changed in the older genomes. That is why older genomes are more likely to have a tad more of this "admixture". See Oase 1 in Davids K15, and check against Oase 1's D-stats in the paper (table S3.1) which show it to be really un-African.

See also this: https://westhunt.wordpress.com/2015/05/03/snp-confusion/

Last edited:

This is very interesting because some consider the dispersal of humans, AMH and Flores man, across the Wallace line proof of boating. The monkey find at least shows that other ways to cross a strait exist. And maybe this puts Homo Antecessor in a different perspective. Chris Stringer brought up Homo Antecessor as possible source for the strange mtDNA in the Sima del Huesos sample.

Last edited:

The paleolithic and mesolithic HG in Europe never came into contact with the humans described in this study, for the simple fact that they were extinct. They were replaced by Neanderthals before modern humans arrived in Europe. And the common ancestor of modern humans and Neanderthals is only about 500.000 years old.

cool, always seemed likely to me there would have been a flow up the atlantic coast as well - maybe smaller than the main one but there

A million years ago mankind was far less adapted to the cold. There is no evidence H. Erectus - or any of the hominids that are contemporary to H. Erectus, if you are a splitter rather than a lumper - had clothes. I think that limits the ability to go north. Although the Dmanisi Homo Erectus must have seen winter.

I think the older samples show archaic African admixture, or perhaps Kostenki14 shows contemporary to him migration from Africa to this region.
However in case of Iberian post Glacial period show new admixture, I think. I'm saying that because they plot on PCA towards Africa, more south than other HGs, unlike Koestenki and others more ancient. Can't find the best PCA, (maybe later):
PCA.png
plottings are plottings, with their proper accuracy and inaccuracy- in this one, which is very useful for Europeans, there is no SSA African to make comparisons.
at the opposite, some admixture calculators as in GENETIKER showed some SSA among Chalcolithic or EBA people (even in Sintashta). Reality or errors of calculators?

PCA.png

We have to distinguish North-African and SSA. If I recall correctly, the SSA admixture in La Brana - if real - was East African. Anyway, the WGH-SHG-EHG continuum is certainly not defined by degrees of SSA admixture.

plottings are plottings, with their proper accuracy and inaccuracy- in this one, which is very useful for Europeans, there is no SSA African to make comparisons.
at the opposite, some admixture calculators as in GENETIKER showed some SSA among Chalcolithic or EBA people (even in Sintashta). Reality or errors of calculators?
Sure, I don't claim it as a fact, just what I see from couple of clues.

This is very interesting because some consider the dispersal of humans, AMH and Flores man, across the Wallace line proof of boating. The monkey find at least shows that other ways to cross a strait exist. And maybe this puts Homo Antecessor in a different perspective. Chris Stringer brought up Homo Antecessor as possible source for the strange mtDNA in the Sima del Huesos sample.

Sima de Los Huesos has a common ancestor with Denisovans
that makes an entry through the Levant and subsequent split between Sima de Los Huesos and Denisovans more likely

the Iberomaurusian would be a possibility
it was in the Atlas Mts, but would also have had a spillover in Iberia

Sima de Los Huesos has a common ancestor with Denisovans
that makes an entry through the Levant and subsequent split between Sima de Los Huesos and Denisovans more likely

Sima de los Huesos mtDNA showed that. Two sequenced autosomal genomes show these to be roughly half way (David Reichs words) of becoming Neandertals [1]. These samples were considered Homo Heidelbergensis. Now, either that consideration is wrong or Heidelberg man wasn't the forefather of Neandertals and AMH but already halfway Neandertal. In the last case H. Antecessor could come into view as last common ancestor. Which would be very interesting. The teeth of Denisovans do resemble an Indonesian H. Erectus. What if both Denisovans and H. Antecessor are evolved H. Erectus?

Also, we seem to get new reports of an active human population 120.000-190.000 years old in Sulawesi, across the Wallace line that is. All peoples with substantial Denisovan admixture seem to live across the Wallace line as well. See also this post: http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/31874-Wallace-Line-and-Denisovan-Admixture and this article: https://www.academia.edu/4860959/Did_the_Denisovans_Cross_Wallaces_Line

[1] The official paper hasn't been published yet.

Last edited:
A million years ago mankind was far less adapted to the cold. There is no evidence H. Erectus - or any of the hominids that are contemporary to H. Erectus, if you are a splitter rather than a lumper - had clothes. I think that limits the ability to go north. Although the Dmanisi Homo Erectus must have seen winter.

could be but from Tierra del Fuego

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaghan_people#Adaptations_to_climate

They were famed for their complete indifference to the bitter weather around Cape Horn.[8] Although they had fire and small domed shelters, they routinely went about completely naked in the frigid cold and biting wind of Tierra del Fuego. Women swam in its 48-degree-south waters hunting for shellfish.[9] They often were observed to sleep in the open, completely unsheltered and unclothed, while Europeans shivered under blankets.[5] A Chilean researcher claimed their average body temperature was warmer than a European's by at least one degree.[7]

The bit about higher metabolism is interesting. IIRC metabolism is connected to mtdna.

could be but from Tierra del Fuego

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaghan_people#Adaptations_to_climate

The bit about higher metabolism is interesting. IIRC metabolism is connected to mtdna.

That's quite interesting. Thanks! Perhaps this could be investigated today by testing the cold tolerance of people with various mtDNA haplogroups.

On a more personal note, I don't have a cold-tolerance "score" (does a rating scale even exist?), but many people who know me tell me that I have an above-average cold tolerance. Has anyone found a connection between mtDNA H and cold tolerance?

I don't have cold tolerance. I prefer warm and hot weather to cold one, and I don't sweat much.

That's quite interesting. Thanks! Perhaps this could be investigated today by testing the cold tolerance of people with various mtDNA haplogroups.

On a more personal note, I don't have a cold-tolerance "score" (does a rating scale even exist?), but many people who know me tell me that I have an above-average cold tolerance. Has anyone found a connection between mtDNA H and cold tolerance?

I've only skim read this stuff so only throwing it out as an interesting idea but for example

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21586348

Common African haplogroups L0, L2 and L3 had significantly lower RMRs than European haplogroups H, JT and UK with haplogroup L1 RMR being intermediate to these groups. This study links mitochondrial haplogroups with ancestry-associated differences in metabolic rate and energy expenditure.

This thread has been viewed 16438 times.

Back