Sex & Gender Interplay of altrusism and attractiveness in female mate choice

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian

Are Women’s Mate Preferences for Altruism Also Influenced by Physical Attractiveness?

http://evp.sagepub.com/content/14/1/1474704915623698.abstract

This is in the category of social science studies where they seem to be bent on proving the obvious. When is attractiveness not a factor in mate choice?

"Abstract
Altruism plays a role in mate choice, particularly in women’s preferences and in long-term (LT) relationships. The current study analyzed how these preferences interacted with another important mate choice variable, physical attractiveness. Here, female participants were presented with photographs of men of varying levels of physical attractiveness, alongside descriptions of them behaving either altruistically or not in different scenarios. The results showed women preferred altruistic men, particularly in LT relationships and that this interacted with physical attractiveness such that being both attractive and altruistic made a man more desirable than just the sum of the two desirable parts. Also, being altruistic made low attractive men more desirable but only for LT relationships. Finally, men who were just altruistic were rated more desirable than men who were just attractive, especially for LT relationships. Overall, these findings are discussed in terms of the role of altruism in mate choice, particularly in LT relationships and directions of future research."

No wonder we have litany of good looking and save the world superheroes these days. Perfect men, both attractive and altruistic.

However, women consist of only 40% of audience when watching superhero movie with male as main character, according to movie stats. I would guess there should be more.

No wonder we have litany of good looking and save the world superheroes these days. Perfect men, both attractive and altruistic.

However, women consist of only 40% of audience when watching superhero movie with male as main character, according to movie stats. I would guess there should be more.

I'm surprised it's that high; a lot of women probably get dragged there by their "significant others". :) Most women, in my experience, don't want to go see a lot of special effects and violence, even if it's sanitized in these kinds of films. They want to see human relationships, by and large. Of course, women differ, and I like both kinds of movies, for example.

I have a feeling that the "altruistic" acts attached to photos in the study were not of the flying from tall buildings variety. :) Perhaps they showed a man going into danger to save someone else, like a fireman, or a doctor caring for poor, sick people, or even something that just shows a man sacrificing himself for a child. If there's anything more attractive than an attractive, strong man being tender with a child, I don't know what it is.

I'm surprised it's that high; a lot of women probably get dragged there by their "significant others". :) Most women, in my experience, don't want to go see a lot of special effects and violence, even if it's sanitized in these kinds of films. They want to see human relationships, by and large. Of course, women differ, and I like both kinds of movies, for example.

I have a feeling that the "altruistic" acts attached to photos in the study were not of the flying from tall buildings variety. :) Perhaps they showed a man going into danger to save someone else, like a fireman, or a doctor caring for poor, sick people, or even something that just shows a man sacrificing himself for a child. If there's anything more attractive than an attractive, strong man being tender with a child, I don't know what it is.
Yes, the romance is missing in this research. Makes me wonder why men are so not romantic, if women desire it so much?

Yes, the romance is missing in this research. Makes me wonder why men are so not romantic, if women desire it so much?

The study wasn't really dealing with "romantic" actions being paired with attractiveness, which would be directed specifically toward women, but with "altruistic" actions which could be directed toward anyone.

As for "romantic" actions or gestures, if I had to generalize just from observation and experience I'd say that yes, women definitely desire it. However, up until pretty recent times, we haven't had much choice as to mates, yes? Also, it's just one factor among others. Some men have compensating qualities.

I'm not talking about the occasional, ritualistic, romantic gesture of remembering anniversaries or buying flowers for Valentine's Day necessarily, either. A kiss or embrace when you come home, being told you're beautiful, even if you aren't, or being told with some regularity that he loves you, or being addressed as "amore" or darling, can work wonders. :) It can even cover a multitude of sins. Heck, actually just listening to a woman and having a real conversation with her is really attractive. A lot of rather average looking men have great success with women merely because they're good at talking to them.

The study wasn't really dealing with "romantic" actions being paired with attractiveness, which would be directed specifically toward women, but with "altruistic" actions which could be directed toward anyone.
Of course, I was only musing why superheroes are not so "hot" for women.

As for "romantic" actions or gestures, if I had to generalize just from observation and experience I'd say that yes, women definitely desire it. However, up until pretty recent times, we haven't had much choice as to mates, yes? Also, it's just one factor among others. Some men have compensating qualities.
I was thinking about this, but then I remembered that HGs men from Amazon jungle were not very romantic either. It seems that women have "romantic" abilities to make some men more attractive just with the power of their thoughts only.

I'm not talking about the occasional, ritualistic, romantic gesture of remembering anniversaries or buying flowers for Valentine's Day necessarily, either. A kiss or embrace when you come home, being told you're beautiful, even if you aren't, or being told with some regularity that he loves you, or being addressed as "amore" or darling, can work wonders. :) It can even cover a multitude of sins. Heck, actually just listening to a woman and having a real conversation with her is really attractive. A lot of rather average looking men have great success with women merely because they're good at talking to them.
I like that. Romantic, as giving full attention to a woman. It explains better, than super romantic, as per Hollywood movies.

LeBrok;474548]Of course, I was only musing why superheroes are not so "hot" for women.

I think they are "hot". Henry Cavill is quite devastating in Superman, and even the very plain Russell Crowe becomes extraordinarily attractive in The Gladiator because of his strength, his goodness, his honor and integrity, his love of wife and child, and loyalty to them. There just aren't all that many super-heroes to go around. :) Plus, finding them "hot" doesn't mean most women want to go and watch a movie with lots of car chases, explosions, shootings, and foul cursing.

I was thinking about this, but then I remembered that HGs men from Amazon jungle were not very romantic either. It seems that women have "romantic" abilities to make some men more attractive just with the power of their thoughts only.

This is romantic in my definition. It's from a Neolithic burial in Mantova, Italy. I don't know about the HGs from the Amazon, but I don't think HG people in general would have been all that different. At least I hope they weren't. We see evidence of flowers being placed on graves in the Paleolithic. Some of them could have been for women, yes?
d621dbd8e56996a6cea38a01ac7096d2.jpg

This is another nice one from the Etruscan Age:
Sarcophagus1.jpg

"The Kiss" by Giotto...
flexscript.php

Or my father after a party always telling my mother she was the most beautiful and best dressed woman there, even when she was 60, and actually meaning it. Or him never, even when they were very old, standing or sitting near her without draping an arm over her shoulder or holding her hand or drawing her close to him.

Or my aunt's husband, who, after she died in childbirth, never for decades neglected to put flowers on her grave every Sunday even though he remarried after about five years and had children with his new wife.

Or my aged great-aunt recounting that every evening when my great-uncle came into view after working on the farm, her heart would "lift", and she would go running toward him.

To be loved like this and shown it is one of life's great blessings, in my book. Nothing is more "romantic".

I like that. Romantic, as giving full attention to a woman. It explains better, than super romantic, as per Hollywood movies.

I think that's true, but things like holding hands as you walk along a beach around sunrise or sunset, or slow dancing on a moon lit terrace, or even in your own house, or having someone send you poems, even if they're not his own, or doing a sketch of you, are all way up there in terms of "romantic" behavior. They're winners each and every time, even if they're not essential. :)

I think they are "hot". Henry Cavill is quite devastating in Superman, and even the very plain Russell Crowe becomes extraordinarily attractive in The Gladiator because of his strength, his goodness, his honor and integrity, his love of wife and child, and loyalty to them. There just aren't all that many super-heroes to go around. :) Plus, finding them "hot" doesn't mean most women want to go and watch a movie with lots of car chases, explosions, shootings, and foul cursing.

This is romantic in my definition. It's from a Neolithic burial in Mantova, Italy. I don't know about the HGs from the Amazon, but I don't think HG people in general would have been all that different. At least I hope they weren't. We see evidence of flowers being placed on graves in the Paleolithic. Some of them could have been for women, yes?

This is another nice one from the Etruscan Age:

"The Kiss" by Giotto...

Or my father after a party always telling my mother she was the most beautiful and best dressed woman there, even when she was 60, and actually meaning it. Or him never, even when they were very old, standing or sitting near her without draping an arm over her shoulder or holding her hand or drawing her close to him.

Or my aunt's husband, who, after she died in childbirth, never for decades neglected to put flowers on her grave every Sunday even though he remarried after about five years and had children with his new wife.

Or my aged great-aunt recounting that every evening when my great-uncle came into view after working on the farm, her heart would "lift", and she would go running toward him.

To be loved like this and shown it is one of life's great blessings, in my book. Nothing is more "romantic".

I think that's true, but things like holding hands as you walk along a beach around sunrise or sunset, or slow dancing on a moon lit terrace, or even in your own house, or having someone send you poems, even if they're not his own, or doing a sketch of you, are all way up there in terms of "romantic" behavior. They're winners each and every time, even if they're not essential. :)
Now, this is more me, the down to earth romance. :)

This thread has been viewed 6150 times.

Back