Meat Eating in Early Humans

humans are meat eaters, most humans today actually lack saturated fat coming from animal fat in their diet, focusing mostly on lean meat rich in protein, which is a big mistake. Meat should be primarily consumed because of fat not protein, thats where all the vitamins are, and where energy is, as well more organ meat, like liver
People who dont consume saturated fats from animals on a daily basis also have trouble of loosing weight and can become fat easy, because their bodies are not conditioned for using fat as energy source, but rather glucose, i.e sugars. So what happens is that modern people crave food often(much more then fat adopted person), crave glucose, and are not able to waste their own fat efficiently without to resorting to rigorous exercises. Humans are by nature fat storers/fat burners, and modern died is not good for that.

When you think about it, fruit was seasonal, depending on a climate, people did not had technology to grow them during off season, or preserve them by lacking freezers, as well as developed trade routes of fruit from northern and southern hemisphere, so meat was basically only choice, for most of the year, and especially during winter

humans are meat eaters, most humans today actually lack saturated fat coming from animal fat in their diet, focusing mostly on lean meat rich in protein, which is a big mistake. Meat should be primarily consumed because of fat not protein, thats where all the vitamins are, and where energy is, as well more organ meat, like liver
People who dont consume saturated fats from animals on a daily basis also have trouble of loosing weight and can become fat easy, because their bodies are not conditioned for using fat as energy source, but rather glucose, i.e sugars. So what happens is that modern people crave food often(much more then fat adopted person), crave glucose, and are not able to waste their own fat efficiently without to resorting to rigorous exercises. Humans are by nature fat storers/fat burners, and modern died is not good for that.

When you think about it, fruit was seasonal, depending on a climate, people did not had technology to grow them during off season, or preserve them by lacking freezers, as well as developed trade routes of fruit from northern and southern hemisphere, so meat was basically only choice, for most of the year, and especially during winter

Like so much else, it depended on the local climate.

In Denmark: "A comparison with the faunal data (Fig. 10) indicates that half or more of the dietary protein of these individuals was derived from marine fish or mammals.From the combined carbon and nitrogen data, the tentative conclusion can be drawn that the collagen of these individuals originated to a much greater extent from aquatic carnivores than from terrestrial plants or other bivores." Seals are high in fat, I think, but I don't know about fish like pike or perch.

The caloric consumption was from " fish, game, nuts, and fruits.", in that order.
https://www.academia.edu/4828445/Th...ubmerged_settlement_on_the_Argus_Bank_Denmark

Also, the meats that WHG hunted, for example, were not often fat rich animals like the mammoth. They got the occasional bear and they hunted ibex, which was fatty, but rabbit, fresh water fish if they lived inland, etc., are lean protein. Deer meat is also pretty lean, isn't it?

Things were different for North African hunter-gatherers. A big portion of their diet was from hazel nuts and acorns, and they had the cavities to prove it.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24817-ancient-hunter-gatherers-had-rotten-teeth/

I think the hunter-gatherers in the Near East were also in a very different situation. They were blessed with plants resources that grew all year as well as large amounts of wild animal resources. The Natufians had huge stores of wild grains and the tools to process them long before they learned how to domesticate them.

http://www.saylor.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/HIST101-1.2-OriginsofCiv-FINAL1.pdf

I think there's a tendency to think that hunter-gatherers all had identical subsistence strategies and that the norm was the subsistence strategy of hunter-gatherers in northern climates. That's not the case.

Also, from what I know of the biology of the human intestinal tract, humans are adapted not just to meat and proteins, or to only plants. We're built to be omnivores. That's why I'm not very supportive of diets that go to one extreme or the other.

interesting information for sure
We do have some real life sources how HG eat today, for both hot climate and cold

For hot climates, there are Bushman in Africa which pretty much eat bats, game, and birds, they also use some kind of a fruit or vegetable that grows under ground, and contains lots of water for water source, and probably some nuts they gather

In cold climates, Inuits pretty much as you said, fish, seals then game. As of late modern food stores came to their lands, and they started eating modern food, and what i have seen, the switch from fat as primal source of energy into grains they become fatter.

As of our intestines, they are most similar are to dog ones, which kinda makes sense as we evolved along with dogs, so they are mostly suited for meat but can digest some plants as well, usually fruit, or in evident cases processed grain. Bread for instance is alchemy when you think about it

Problem with plants is that our stomach canot ferment much of their nutritional value, but fiber is good for digestion, also pure herbivores are grazers, which means they must eat all day long, and have multiple and much more complex stomachs that process step by step what they eat, so its like a constant cycle

that sounds interesting
but is there any scientific proof that regular consumption of animal fat helps human metablism to use fat as an energy source?
aren't sugars and carbohydrates simply easier to decompose for use as energy fuel?
is the fat stored in the human body the same as animal fat?
e.g. excess sugars are first transformed into fat and then stored in the human body
according to Montignac fat cannot be stored in the human body if it is not consumed together with carbohydrates

fat stored in the body of early humans could be used as slow burning energy sources during times of food shortages

that sounds interesting
but is there any scientific proof that regular consumption of animal fat helps human metablism to use fat as an energy source?
aren't sugars and carbohydrates simply easier to decompose for use as energy fuel?
is the fat stored in the human body the same as animal fat?
e.g. excess sugars are first transformed into fat and then stored in the human body
according to Montignac fat cannot be stored in the human body if it is not consumed together with carbohydrates

fat stored in the body of early humans could be used as slow burning energy sources during times of food shortages

yes there is.
I am on ketogenic diet for about 4 months now(look it up, its a term for fat based diet), and you are right carbs and sugars are easier to use, they are like nitro fuel, easy to consume, and need to be replenished more often, while fat is more stable slow burning 'endurance' fuel of which we have much more(in our fat stores). Animal fat, and fat stored in our body is essentially same.

Problem with carbs is that when you use them as primary source of energy your body is unaccustomed to use fat, as carbs are much faster fuel, it will always be used first, and your body will crave for more, while the rest of the food you eat will be stored into fat your body is not good of using up.
So carb eating people are on energy roller coaster, with high ups, and low downs.
On the other note, when you restrict carbs, and focus on fat, your body will accustom into fats, giving you constant energy trough out the day, and almost no hunger cravings, because you have your own fat storage which now your body is accustomed to use as well.

Many triathlon athletes are beginning to use ketogenic diet for much greater endurance they gain(records are being made by those on it), while athletes who are focused on short and explosive exercise like power lifting perform better on carbs

yes there is.
I am on ketogenic diet for about 4 months now(look it up, its a term for fat based diet), and you are right carbs and sugars are easier to use, they are like nitro fuel, easy to consume, and need to be replenished more often, while fat is more stable slow burning 'endurance' fuel of which we have much more(in our fat stores). Animal fat, and fat stored in our body is essentially same.

Problem with carbs is that when you use them as primary source of energy your body is unaccustomed to use fat, as carbs are much faster fuel, it will always be used first, and your body will crave for more, while the rest of the food you eat will be stored into fat your body is not good of using up.
So carb eating people are on energy roller coaster, with high ups, and low downs.
On the other note, when you restrict carbs, and focus on fat, your body will accustom into fats, giving you constant energy trough out the day, and almost no hunger cravings, because you have your own fat storage which now your body is accustomed to use as well.

Many triathlon athletes are beginning to use ketogenic diet for much greater endurance they gain(records are being made by those on it), while athletes who are focused on short and explosive exercise like power lifting perform better on carbs

as my name says I'm a cyclist
on long trips we need to take sugars to replenish our fast energy
there are 2 tresholds in the heart rate, which is different for each individual
only below the lowest treshold fat can be burned, above the highest you use some 'nuclear non oxygen' fuel stored in the muscles and once that is depleted you start consuming your own muscles, between the two tresholds both carbohydrates and sugars can be consumed
so if you're on an exclusif fat diet, can you go beyond the lowest treshold, i.e., can you do intense physical efforts?
do triathletes have a different diet on training then on competition days?

as my name says I'm a cyclist
on long trips we need to take sugars to replenish our fast energy
there are 2 tresholds in the heart rate, which is different for each individual
only below the lowest treshold fat can be burned, above the highest you use some 'nuclear non oxygen' fuel stored in the muscles and once that is depleted you start consuming your own muscles, between the two tresholds both carbohydrates and sugars can be consumed
so if you're on an exclusif fat diet, can you go beyond the lowest treshold, i.e., can you do intense physical efforts?
do triathletes have a different diet on training then on competition days?

that is because you are carb/sugar adapted, your body starts using protein from muscles, because protein can be transformed into glucose.

Your body prefers sugars over fat, so you are working as sugar burner.

Thing with ketosis is once your body starts to produce ketones from fat, it loses its need for sugars, and thus not waste muscle. Also the reason for not including lots of protein on ketogenic diet, especially during adaptation period, because its a trap in a sense, your body will try to convert protein into glucose rather then using fat, but MCT fats like coconut oil can help to mitigate that

There is a period of adaptation, think of it this way, with modern/farmer diet your body was accustomed to glucose basically from birth. There is a thing called keto flu, which is a adaptation period that can last from a weak to a month, depending on a person, and in that time people can experience nausea, insomnia, sweating and so on, because thats the breaking stage, almost like coming of the drugs. In that period its advisable not to stress body, eat lots of minerals, salt, and drink water, because you can lose water as carbohydrates hold water as their name suggest.

I was introduced into Ketogenic diet, because i stumbled upon research for Navy SEALs diet that would allow them to keep focus and energy during long periods of combat, then athletes started using it as well, usually endurance, triathlon, swimming, marathon, cycling.
Also those adopted to fat in sports, still can use carbs-drinks as refreshment, but they need way less of it, and your recovery is much better, you can cycle 40km up hill, and still go running tomorrow

If you are interested, you can search youtube for ketogenic diet in sports, there are lots of videos on the subject

This thread has been viewed 6518 times.

Back