No alcohol at all for women during pregnancy

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See: No Alcohol for Sexually Active Women Without Birth Control
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/04/h...ontrol-cdc-recommends.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

"Sexually active women who are not using birth control should refrain from alcohol to avoid the risk of giving birth to babies with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders, even if those women are not yet known to be pregnant, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has recommended."

In my opinion, this is just another over-reaction from the CDC. I don't see anything in the data to warrant it. Binge drinking is a whole other matter. Of course, given drinking habits among young women in this and many other countries, drinking does equal binge drinking.

No one is going to convince me that having an occasional glass of wine leads to fetal alcohol syndrome in the offspring.

What I do believe, and is not studied, is that there is a link between all sorts of problems in children and chromosomal damage from ingestion of recreational drugs. I think there's a reason that there's been such a rise in developmental disorders of all kinds in the population since the 1960s, and no, I don't believe it's just better reporting and perhaps the older age at which people procreate.

This thread has been viewed 2375 times.

Back