Cairo 1953

since Arabic spring tourism in Egypt has declined with about 40 %
in 1953 it was a secular state with conficence in the future
now the country is controlled by fear for Muslim fundamentalism

since Arabic spring tourism in Egypt has declined with about 40 %
in 1953 it was a secular state with conficence in the future
now the country is controlled by fear for Muslim fundamentalism

Coincidentally, I had a conversation with an Egyptian Muslim woman on Saturday. As she's said in the past, she maintains that when she was growing up in Egypt there was virtually no tension between Muslims and Copts, that she would celebrate the Christian holidays with her Copt friends and vice versa. She just came back from visiting her parents and said that she can't recognize her own birth country. It's not just that the Copts are terrorized, it's that so many Muslims have changed their views on virtually everything.

It shows how quickly an ideology can gain ground and fundamentally change a society. This is hardly a good sign.

Coincidentally, I had a conversation with an Egyptian Muslim woman on Saturday. As she's said in the past, she maintains that when she was growing up in Egypt there was virtually no tension between Muslims and Copts, that she would celebrate the Christian holidays with her Copt friends and vice versa. She just came back from visiting her parents and said that she can't recognize her own birth country. It's not just that the Copts are terrorized, it's that so many Muslims have changed their views on virtually everything.

It shows how quickly an ideology can gain ground and fundamentally change a society. This is hardly a good sign.

Egypt is just exemplary of a much wider phenomenen.
You can tell similar stories about Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran,..
It is what ISIS tried to do in Syria and Iraq.
And the same is about to happen in Lybia or even Turkey.

We underestimate how easy Muslim people can be influenced against secularity and for imposing their views upon the whole society.
They make a difference between Muslims and 'kaffars', non Muslims and start discriminating. It is inherint to their belief.
In America Muslims are a minority, there it won't happen. Obama extrapolates this worldwide, allthough he should now better.
Europe is already experiencing this in some of their suburbs.

There you lose me.

This can happen in almost any country given the right circumstances, I'm sorry to say. How long did it take Nazism to take over Germany and Austria? Ten years? Less? The Germans voted Hitler into office, let's not forget. Are we supposed to conclude there's something fundamentally wrong with the German people or Christianity that leads to this kind of behavior?

If that were the case, if only the adherents of certain religions or member of certain ethnicities were prone to this kind of behavior I'd actually be more hopeful about the future of humanity, but I don't believe that.

This thread has been viewed 3483 times.

Back