What is the explanation of my results ?

Elies Mickaël Knaub

Reaction score
Hello,

I'd like to apologize for my English in this message, because I'm from France.

I would like to know an explanation about those results I had with 23andme recently :

87,7 % European :

-Southern European 65,1% (Italian 18,5%, Iberian 13,7%, Balkan 0,8%, Broadly Southern European 32,1%).

-Northwestern European 10,5% (British and Irish 2,4%, French and German 1,0%, 7,1% Broadly Northwestern European).

0,6% Ashkenazi

0,6% Eastern European

10,9 % Broadly European

10,2% North African and Middle Eastern :

-9,8% North African

-0,4% Broadly Middle Eastern and North African

Haplogroup of my mother : U2e1a (rare, only found in some countries of Europe like Denmark).

Haplogroup of my father : R1b1b2a1a2d3a (most common in Western Europe).

However, my mother is entirely from Tunisia but looks much more European than North African, so as her whole family in Tunisia (a lot of blue eyes, bright hair, ...).
So my question is do you have an explanation about that ? Could it be the influence of the Vandals that came to Tunisia during the 6th century (the haplogroup U2e1a is typically from Northern Europe) ? And the 18,5% Italian, the influence of the Roman Empire in Tunisia ? Or is it a lack of reliability of this genetic testing that could explain my 10,2% North-African "only" ?

Moreover, my father is from Alsace region, which was much more German than French. He has a German name also. So why are there "only" 10,5% of Northern Europe in my DNA ? Influence of Southern Europe also (Roman Empire ?) ?

It is really interesting to see that some people in Tunisia (Maghreb) have European haplogroups !

Hello,

I'd like to apologize for my English in this message, because I'm from France.

I would like to know an explanation about those results I had with 23andme recently :

87,7 % European :

-Southern European 65,1% (Italian 18,5%, Iberian 13,7%, Balkan 0,8%, Broadly Southern European 32,1%).

-Northwestern European 10,5% (British and Irish 2,4%, French and German 1,0%, 7,1% Broadly Northwestern European).

0,6% Ashkenazi

0,6% Eastern European

10,9 % Broadly European

10,2% North African and Middle Eastern :

-9,8% North African

-0,4% Broadly Middle Eastern and North African

Haplogroup of my mother : U2e1a (rare, only found in some countries of Europe like Denmark).

Haplogroup of my father : R1b1b2a1a2d3a (most common in Western Europe).

However, my mother is entirely from Tunisia but looks much more European than North African, so as her whole family in Tunisia (a lot of blue eyes, bright hair, ...).
So my question is do you have an explanation about that ? Could it be the influence of the Vandals that came to Tunisia during the 6th century (the haplogroup U2e1a is typically from Northern Europe) ? And the 18,5% Italian, the influence of the Roman Empire in Tunisia ? Or is it a lack of reliability of this genetic testing that could explain my 10,2% North-African "only" ?

Moreover, my father is from Alsace region, which was much more German than French. He has a German name also. So why are there "only" 10,5% of Northern Europe in my DNA ? Influence of Southern Europe also (Roman Empire ?) ?

It is really interesting to see that some people in Tunisia (Maghreb) have European haplogroups !

In the time of Caesar and Augustus , the main wheat area for the Romans was Algeria and Tunisia...............they sent many Romans there to set up colonies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirta

There was more Romans in that area than anywhere else in north-Africa

This thread has been viewed 4636 times.

Back