Help with understanding my test results

Inya

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just received my test results and my haplogroup is undoubtedly R1a.
However I would like to know little bit more about my ancestry. Anyone able to read this and give me some more info?

HaplogroupProbabilityFitness
1R1a Z282>Z280>>Y35>CTS3402 67.3961.15
2R1a Z93>Z94>S23592 29.3852.07
3R1a Z93>Z94>Z2123 1.2857.55
4R1a Y2395>Z284>L448 1.140.22
5R1a Z282 > Z280 > Z92 0.5151.29
6R1a Z93>Z94>L657 0.2944.72
7R1a Y2395>Z284>Z287 0.0252.9
8R1a M458 Central Europe 0.0252.24
9R1a Z282 > Z280 > CTS1211 > YP343 0.0142.68

The first major expansion of R1a took place with the westward propagation of the Corded Ware (or Battle Axe) culture (2800-1800 BCE) from the northern forest-steppe in the Yamna homeland. This was the first wave of R1a into Europe, the one that brought the Z283 subclade to Germany and the Netherlands, and Z284 to Scandinavia. The Corded Ware R1a people would have mixed with the pre-Germanic I1 and I2 aborigines, which resulted in the first Indo-European culture in Germany and Scandinavia, although that culture could not be considered Proto-Germanic - it was simply Proto-Indo-European at that stage, or perhaps or Proto-Balto-Slavic.

Underhill_Z282_small.png

On the R1a page of this website, you can find diagrams and detailed explanations for these R1a subclades. R1a-Z282 is specific to Europe, highly concentrated in the Pontic-Caspian steppe. Z93 and Z94 make up the Asian branch of R1a which spread to Central Asia and India and they are associated with the Kurgan culture and the Indo-Aryans. R1a-Z280 is associated with the Baltic-speaking people and its descendant subclade CTS3402 is mainly found in the Dinaric Alps spanning from Albania to Serbia, especially among the Croats. R1a-CTS3402 has high frequencies in Croatia and Southern Poland and CTS3402 may be linked to the Slavic expansion to the Balkans. Your ancestors (Z280>CTS3402) are more likely to have migrated from the Baltic region or Southern Poland to the Balkans. Alternatively, you belong to the Asian branch of R1a (Z93>Z94) with a 29.38% probability, which could have reached the Balkans from Central Asia or Persia.

Underhill_Z93_small.png

R1a-Z283 is the main Central & East European branch.
R1a-Z284 is a Scandinavian subclade with an epicentre in Norway. It is found also in places colonised by the Norwegian Vikings, like some parts of Scotland, England and Ireland. Several subclades were identified, including L448, L176.1, Z287/Z288, Z66 and Z281 about which little is known at the moment.
R1a-M458, primarily a Slavic subclade, with maximum frequencies in Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, but is also fairly common in southeast Ukraine and northwest Russia.
Its subclade R1a-L260 is clearly West Slavic, with a peak of frequency in Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia, and radiating at lower frequencies into East Germany, East Austria, Slovenia and Hungary.
R1a-Z280 is also an Balto-Slavic marker, found all over central and Eastern Europe (except in the Balkans), with a western limit running from East to south-west Germany and to Northeast Italy. It can be divided in many clusters: East Slavic, Baltic, Pomeranian, Polish, Carpathian, East-Alpine, Czechoslovak, and so on.
R1a-Z93 is the main Asian branch of R1a. It is found in Central Asia, South Asia and Southwest Asia (including among Ashkenazi Jews). R1a-Z93 is the marker of historical peoples such as the Indo-Aryans, Persians, Medes, Mitanni, or Tatars, and pervaded the genetic pool of the Arabs and Jews.

Last edited:
I read everything there but still don't really understand it. For example it says that 280 is not found in Balkans, yet I come from Serbia, and I can trace my roots here all the way to middle ages. I understand that R1a came to Balkans from Yamna culture, starting from 4200BC according to the map, but I would like to know what is the possible migration route for my results.

Is it safe if I ask you what ethnicity you are Inya?

Sure, I come from Serbia and it seems I am Slavic.

Sure, I come from Serbia and it seems I am Slavic.

That does seem indeed seem to be the case! If I'm reading the R1a page on Eupedia correctly, it seems that the subclade of R1a you belong to seems to be more common in west and east Slavs than in Serbs and other south Slavs.

Yes, that is what I find curious, it seems that R1a accounts only for 15% of population in Serbia, let alone subclude Z280 which should not be present at all. So I wanted to see if someone has more info on possible historical connections.

You could be a direct descendant of the original Serbs who migrated from White Serbia to the Balkans. As for others, it seems like a sizable number of modern Serbs are descendants of assimilated local population who lived in the Balkans before the Slavic migrations during the Migration period.

You could be a direct descendant of the original Serbs who migrated from White Serbia to the Balkans. As for others, it seems like a sizable number of modern Serbs are descendants of assimilated local population who lived in the Balkans before the Slavic migrations during the Migration period.
It is about right, however exact location of White Serbia and likewise White Croatia is not known. There is also a thread in which we speculate if I2a Dinaric was part of Slavic expansion or not.
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/26903-How-did-I2a-Din-get-to-the-Balkans
And this one by Tomenable: http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/31961-I2a1b2a1-(I-CTS10228)-a-strong-marker-of-Slavic-expansion
There is a thread by Tomenable in which we are trying to determine Slavic R1a clades.
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/30760-Slavic-R1a-clades

It is about right, however exact location of White Serbia and likewise White Croatia is not known. There is also a thread in which we speculate if I2a Dinaric was part of Slavic expansion or not.
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/26903-How-did-I2a-Din-get-to-the-Balkans
And this one by Tomenable: http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/31961-I2a1b2a1-(I-CTS10228)-a-strong-marker-of-Slavic-expansion
There is a thread by Tomenable in which we are trying to determine Slavic R1a clades.
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/30760-Slavic-R1a-clades

True :confused:

Great threads, LeBrok! As I understand, both R1a and I2a Din are both seemingly strongly connected with Slavs judging by the evolutionary ages of the subclades. However, certainly some of these haplogroup frequencies aren't exclusively Slavic though, right? I notice Greeks, Albanians, and Aromanians have moderate frequencies of both of these haplogroups, and all of these ethnicities are native to the Balkans (way deep in the south as well!). So surely, some of this I2a1 and R1a found in them isn't Slavic, unless we assume they all absorbed quite a large number of Slavs (which I doubt precisely because they are so deep south). Then we have Romanians, Hungarians, and even Kurds too. Have anyone done any major analysis of the R1a and I2a1 (I2a1b especially) found in them (and maybe other non-Slavic ethnicities)? I think there can be good amount of value to be had from discussions about origins of these haplogroups in these specific ethnicities (and pair our conclusions with conclusions made from Tomenable's threads analyzing specific Slavs).

Also, my apologies about my statement on R1a-Z80! It seems R1a-Z80 is much more common in East Slavs than both South Slavs and West Slavs.

Last edited:
Great threads, LeBrok! As I understand, both R1a and I2a Din are both seemingly strongly connected with Slavs judging by the evolutionary ages of the subclades. However, certainly some of these haplogroup frequencies aren't exclusively Slavic though, right? I notice Greeks, Albanians, and Aromanians have moderate frequencies of both of these haplogroups, and all of these ethnicities are native to the Balkans (way deep in the south as well!).
Yes, Slavs went into Greece, that's why their clades can be found there.
So surely, some of this I2a1 and R1a found in them isn't Slavic, unless we assume they all absorbed quite a large number of Slavs (which I doubt precisely because they are so deep south). Then we have Romanians, Hungarians, and even Kurds too. Have anyone done any major analysis of the R1a and I2a1 (I2a1b especially) found in them (and maybe other non-Slavic ethnicities)?
I guess, they only could have been pure Slavic during their expansion around 500 AD. Now they are intermixed in all nations of Balkans. I2a Dinaric might have been their before. Only ancient samples can solve this mystery.

Most of us here think that majority of autosomal genes are pre Slavic, local, in Balkans. If you had a chance to get acquainted with EEF, WHG and ANE admixtures of Europeans, you will most likely agree too.

Great threads, LeBrok! As I understand, both R1a and I2a Din are both seemingly strongly connected with Slavs judging by the evolutionary ages of the subclades. However, certainly some of these haplogroup frequencies aren't exclusively Slavic though, right? I notice Greeks, Albanians, and Aromanians have moderate frequencies of both of these haplogroups, and all of these ethnicities are native to the Balkans (way deep in the south as well!). So surely, some of this I2a1 and R1a found in them isn't Slavic, unless we assume they all absorbed quite a large number of Slavs (which I doubt precisely because they are so deep south). Then we have Romanians, Hungarians, and even Kurds too. Have anyone done any major analysis of the R1a and I2a1 (I2a1b especially) found in them (and maybe other non-Slavic ethnicities)? I think there can be good amount of value to be had from discussions about origins of these haplogroups in these specific ethnicities (and pair our conclusions with conclusions made from Tomenable's threads analyzing specific Slavs).

Also, my apologies about my statement on R1a-Z80! It seems R1a-Z80 is much more common in East Slavs than both South Slavs and West Slavs.

We had 'Sclaveniae' in Greece. A part of the population found in Greece may have Slavic or partly Slavic origin. I have a non-traditional view about 'IE expansion' (not based on genetics primarily) but it is better not to say anything about it in this thread.

But look at this
journal.pone.0050794.g003.png

http://dienekes.blogspot.gr/2012/12/y-chromosome-study-of-italy-brisighelli.html

So, it's not that simple.

Yes, Slavs went into Greece, that's why their clades can be found there.

I guess, they only could have been pure Slavic during their expansion around 500 AD. Now they are intermixed in all nations of Balkans. I2a Dinaric might have been their before. Only ancient samples can solve this mystery.

Most of us here think that majority of autosomal genes are pre Slavic, local, in Balkans. If you had a chance to get acquainted with EEF, WHG and ANE admixtures of Europeans, you will most likely agree too.
I absolutely agree that the autosomal genes are autochthonous in the Balkans. I managed to see Maciamo's page on admixture featuring the Dodecad and Eurogenes data. High EEF in the Balkans is definitely a relic of the Neolithic and Slavs most certainly couldn't have brought this component. All of this data seems to agree with Tomenable's theory that when the Slavs came to the Balkans they were mostly males who had children with multiple native wives. Hence, we have a clear footprint of the Slavs in the y-dna frequencies but continuity in the mtdna and autosomal components. But I think we still need to look more into this before we come to definitive conclusions.

Last edited:
Great link Papadimitriou! It seems quite certain J2, R1b, E1b, and G2 are native to Balkans since it's so high in Albanians, Greeks, and the Aromuns. These frequencies in the Griko reinforce this view, and it seems inevitable to conclude R1a in Balkaners is due to the Slavs due to its relative absence in the Griko. However, one thing bothers me. How did Crete, according to eupedia's frequencies, come to be 9% R1a? Surely Sclavenes didn't settle in Crete did they? The Aegean Islands are also about 10% R1a, and both Crete and the Aegean Islands match up with South and Central Greece pretty well (even Aromuns and Albanians). From this view, it seems to be the only region of Greece that was affected heavily by the Slavs is North Greece..

Thanks for all the replies guys, I stopped receiving email notifications for some reason so I am seeing it only now.

From what I understand, based on my own research, it seems that I2 is the native haplogroup of Europe, and certain subclades can be traced to local prehistorical cultures of Vinca and Lepenski vir. In the period of first migrations R1a and R1b came from Caucasus and the Ukrainian steppes, Yamna culture, some 5,6000 years ago (and since then many other times in waves). They were mainly men of course.

Most of the texts I read seem to agree on these points. But it seems that in my case my lineage is related to Baltic if I understand this correctly, which would mean that my ancestors came from the north at much later date?

Thanks for all the replies guys, I stopped receiving email notifications for some reason so I am seeing it only now.

From what I understand, based on my own research, it seems that I2 is the native haplogroup of Europe, and certain subclades can be traced to local prehistorical cultures of Vinca and Lepenski vir. In the period of first migrations R1a and R1b came from Caucasus and the Ukrainian steppes, Yamna culture, some 5,6000 years ago (and since then many other times in waves). They were mainly men of course.

Most of the texts I read seem to agree on these points. But it seems that in my case my lineage is related to Baltic if I understand this correctly, which would mean that my ancestors came from the north at much later date?

Yep, haplogroup I is native to Europe (along with the rare C1). However, Inya, you should check out the thread "The genetic history of Ice Age Europe" because R1b was found in Italy about 14000 years ago. So at least some of the R1b in present-day Europe can be Paleolithic in origin. And yes it seems your R1a clade is likely a latecomer from the north and entered the Balkans during the migration period. See the migration map of R1a on the R1a page and also where R-CTS1211 peaks.

I absolutely agree that the autosomal genes are autochthonous in the Balkans. I managed to see Maciamo's page on admixture featuring the Dodecad and Eurogenes data. High EEF in the Balkans is definitely a relic of the Neolithic and Slavs most certainly couldn't have brought this component.
Actually Slavs brought this component but in lesser proportion than it existed in Balkans. Therefore EEF got a bit diluted in locals anyway.

All of this data seems to agree with Tomenable's theory that when the Slavs came to the Balkans they were mostly males who had children with multiple native wives. Hence, we have a clear footprint of the Slavs in the y-dna frequencies but continuity in the mtdna and autosomal components. But I think we still need to look more into this before we come to definitive conclusions.
They could have their wives, but because they were minorities in conquered lands, their autosomal and Y and mt clades got diluted too in sea of locals.

Ah, does that EEF come from the Cucuteni-Tripolye culture? Maciamo mentions it under the R1a page and its purportedly a contributor to the Slavic ethnogenesis. However, wouldn't this culture contribute to the ethnogenesis of many other ethnic groups as well then? Cucuteni-Trypillian is right at the corridor for many Indo-European invasions. Surely every migration from the Pontic-Caspian steppe would have picked up some genes from there. Does that mean that I2a-Din is not exclusively Slavic after all? I would imagine then that it'd be hard to identify how much I2a migrated in with the Slavs then later on.

Great link Papadimitriou! It seems quite certain J2, R1b, E1b, and G2 are native to Balkans since it's so high in Albanians, Greeks, and the Aromuns. These frequencies in the Griko reinforce this view, and it seems inevitable to conclude R1a in Balkaners is due to the Slavs due to its relative absence in the Griko. However, one thing bothers me. How did Crete, according to eupedia's frequencies, come to be 9% R1a? Surely Sclavenes didn't settle in Crete did they? The Aegean Islands are also about 10% R1a, and both Crete and the Aegean Islands match up with South and Central Greece pretty well (even Aromuns and Albanians). From this view, it seems to be the only region of Greece that was affected heavily by the Slavs is North Greece..

Not exclusively. I've said before that Turkic-speaking groups like the Cumans, or the Bulgars (and other groups) might have been mostly R1a. And they should have Bulgarian, Romanian, Serbian etc descendants. It doesn't make sense otherwise. Some R1a in Greece might be even Varangian. Someone should look at the subclades. I am not so interested to do this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard

This thread has been viewed 30634 times.

Back