Strange results - R1A and R1A marker positive?

Czar

Reaction score
I searched for this topic, but had not found anyone with a similar issue. My problem is that my autosomal test results show me positive for R-M420, and also a few R1B markers. That doesn't make any sense. Does that mean my test needs to be retaken? I can't possibly be both R1A and R1B, so it's an oddity.

I will be taking a 67-marker yDNA test via FTD in short order, but if my autosomal test was bad, I'd still like to get that retaken, as the test is still part of my genetic journey.

Anyone have any knowledge on such a thing?

From what I understand of the autosomal tests, autosomal DNA tests do not generally go in-depth on your Y-DNA. In fact, the raw data that you can upload from FTDNA seems to not take into consideration Y-DNA at all, as it is your nuclear DNA + X chromosome.

In other words, your best bet is to get your Y-DNA done alone and it should clarify any confusion you might have.

My autosomal was through Ancestry, and they apparently hide the y-dna in the results. I converted it and ran it through the Morley tool. I'm just not sure how I can be positive for R1B and R1A markers, unless there is some strange mutation.

My point is not really to use the autosomal test as a y-DNA test, but if the Ancestry test is in error, I'd like to have it retaken. Plus, it will be interesting to see how accurate the Morley predictor tool is compared to my actual y-DNA results, once received.

It may not be. There could have been a small mix-up but as long as the mutations are all from the same haplogroup you should be fine. I am I2a1b as my profile says, but I showed positive for I2b and I1 as well. But the mutations other than that are all I2a1b-Dinaric, so that's what I am. If you get anything from somewhere unexpected like C3 or something then you should be skeptical. I read somewhere that there are some SNPs that are known to show up as false positives, but I can't find it.

I would bet that you are most likely R-M420.

Interesting. I should be R-M420, as my paternal origins are eastern Europe, but I didn't understand why I was also getting positives on some random R1B markers, too. I didn't think that was possible.

Interesting. I should be R-M420, as my paternal origins are eastern Europe, but I didn't understand why I was also getting positives on some random R1B markers, too. I didn't think that was possible.

I'm not as knowledgeable about the subject as I wish I was, but I do not believe that can come from admixture. Rather sometimes the mutations supposed to determine subclades aren't as neat as genetics would hope. Again, as long as it's the same haplogroup, and just a different subclade, you're fine.

This thread has been viewed 4377 times.

Back